Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
VuCube, Winegard Carryout Dome Satellite Antennas

We are just beginning our research on satellite TV antennas, and because we know we're babes in the woods with this particular technology, we would like some expert advice.

Our list of "wants" is short: We want HD reception capability (we do have HD Dish Network receivers and HD televisions), and we want a system that is easy to set up. We aren't concerned about getting local programming.

We recently were shown a VuCube that looked like an interesting solution to what we'd like, but the low-end model we saw isn't HD capable, if we read the specs correctly. We've also read a little bit about a Winegard Carryout Automatic Domed Portable system, which seems similar to the VuCube system.

If any of you are using either system, or if you've had experience with either and are willing to share your thoughts on those systems, we'd sure like to hear from you. I guess we're a bit leery of anything that sounds so simple yet promises such good results.

Thanks for your help. By the way, feel free to PM us if you prefer that over posting a reply.

Carolyn & Wayne

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have the VuQube that does not get the HD TV, but is pretty easy to set up. I thought I saw on their web site that they have one or are coming out with one that will receive HD. CRS right now, so I will have to go to their web site again to see if I am correct. I am sure that the price will be a bit stiffer for the HD model. Don't know about the other system you mentioned.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Carolyn and Wayne, Nothing could be simpler than pushing ONE button when you turn on your electricity, to receive HD TV. That's what I do with the Traveler Sat system by Winegard. Roof mounted and error free. I do need to say I do not park in the trees and I do carry a portable HD dish with me "just in case". It is pricey, but hey, it's only money, right?
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carolyn,
What I have read is that the VuCube 2000 is automatic and will switch between 110, 119, and 129 automatically when you change channels. I don't believe everything I read though. The VuCube 3000 is an in-motion antenna in case you want to travel in the trailer when it is being towed down the road.

We had a king dome mounted permanently on our 3400RL. There were situations where trees blocked the signal to the dome. With the VuCube, in portable mode, you can set it anywhere on the ground, away from trees, or in an opening, and get a signal. But you can also do that with a simple satellite antenna, Dish 1000, or 500. Considering the expense of the view cube I would be concerned about it pilfer ability. Just to easy to pick up and carry away, and for 1200-1500 dollars, that is a lot to just stick a portable antenna out there. With the Dish 1000 or 500, you are out less than $100. Did you see my post on the ground mounting system?

It's pointed like this, and yes it is pointed up in the air. The stand is made out of PVC and I filled it with cement for weight, and it is easy to strap to the ground. The azimuth and angle are different, but I have a document on that I can provide if you go that route.

I like the push the button technology, but for me, it is not worth the current price.

Good luck in your choice.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Wayne...the blood is rushing to my head...which end is up?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I was just looking at the new Wineguard portable as well, It supports HD for Dish but it cycles between satellites when you change stations that are on different satellite. I found that somewhat annoying when we had a similar unit on our old TT. The new permanant systems support 3 LNB so they receive all of the stations including HD but I can't seem to part with the $1600 or so plus installation.

I can't seem to make up my mind on this one so we have done without! DW and I have be used to watching TV with our DVR and fast forwarding through commercials so we have found it difficult to watch regular broadcasts of anything. I'll be interested to see what you folks decide.

BTW, we were really looking forward to our very 1st every rally @ 7 Feathers but our daughter is expecting her 1st child so we won't be there. The CG is fantastic!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
There is a new product from Winegard the Carry Out which is similar to the VuQube but appears to be easier to set up. No remote, does need power (12 volt) to move the dish inside. Works on Dish HD and can power two receivers. Everything is automatic once you have your system selected. Camping World has them for 899.00 but they are available for 719.00 at one website I found. There are dip switches to set up for Direct and one other system. Looks like what I have been waiting for. Now to open up the wallet.
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Thanks, Bob. I found the CarryOut you mentioned on the web and did a quick comparison of the VuCube and the CarryOut, and unless I'm mising something, we'd have to get the "middle model" of the VuCube to get everything the CarryOut offers, and that model costs a lot more than the CarryOut. The automatic satellite locator on the CarryOut sounds good, too. Thanks for your information!
Carolyn
Old 03-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I believe the Carry Out requires external voltage to operate. The VueCube voltage is supplied by the receiver, I think.

Noneck,
If you stand you stand up and look down the picture tube of your computer you would be looking from the LNB straight down to the dish. Pretty simple, huh?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
I am seriously looking at the Wingard system for our trailer. I was reading something and found out the CW super stores are hosting satellite days the weekend of April 17/19. They will have demos, workshops and reps on hand to answer questions. I also read they will have special pricing. I can wait the three weeks to get some questions answered.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
steve if u go look at them 2 sat. please let us know what u think
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Steve, I second that remark. I want to know what you learn about those things. I believe the VuCube is supported by the receiver, and that the Wineguard has to be plugged into a 12V outlet. The setup instructions for each that I've read on the internet aren't quite complete enough for me. I want ALL the details, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Only then can I decide.

I'll be watching this thread to see what you learn and what you think when you see all those setups. Sure wish I could get to one of those demos and workshops on satelitte systems.

Carolyn
Old 04-18-2009, 04:03 AM   #13
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Waynem, how do you get the angle on the dish. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Kerry,
I'm so sorry I missed your post.

The azimuth stays the same.
elevation is subtracted from 90
Skew, if you have a antenna that needs it, is subtracted from 180

So if you have an elevation of 39, your elevfation would be 90-39=51, and your Skew, if 133 would be 180-133 = 47