Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Specification Misinformation.

Check out the specs on the 3585SA. According to both the brochure and the web site my new 3585SA should have a GVWR of over 15,000#. Instead, my decal on the side says just over 14,000#. The UVW remained the same. Instead of 7000# axles I have 6,000# ones. The safety margin I wanted is gone and I now have to carefully watch my loading. I am very unamused by this. I may even send a copy of the brochure to Consumer Affairs Canada. They deal with false advertising. I haven't hit the dealer with this as they probably will also be surprised. I am going to sit and think for a bit. Maybe I should demand they replace the axles. At the very least Keystone will get a message asking for an explanation. Not a very pleasant start for a new owner.

MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Roger, that is a really big "Oops!" by Keystone. I would be curious as their response...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I would telephone directly to Keystone Customer Service, ask for someone from "Team Montana", and pose your question calmly.

I know that in the past, some of Dexter's U.S. axle ratings were lower in Canada. It could be that the axle that Dexter rates as 7000lbs in the U.S. has a lower rating when exported to Canada. I know that used to the case a couple of years ago.

You could also get all the numbers off the axles and call Dexter in Elkhart, IN and ask them. If you can give them the serial numbers, they are pretty good at being able to tell you exactly what have under your unit. (This assumes that Keystone is still using Dexter axles).

Good luck, I can understand your disappointment.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Good suggestion John. It could simply be a difference in axle standards. I have to wait till I get back up to the park to check the numbers. I will post the results. Iam keeping my cool about this as you have suggested.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
OK I got no where with Dexter. Who in Keystone do I have to write to or call?
Old 08-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If I recall, the switch to 7k axles was a mid-model year change. I'm not sure if it was the 2008 or 2007 models, though. I mention this, wondering if yours was built prior to the change. What build date does the sticker show?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Our 2007 3585SA had the 6000 pound axles on them. They were suppose to have 7000 pound axles if built after Dec 1st 2006 I believe. Keystone changed them out for us. It did take a couple of months of persistant calling. I did have to call Dexter prior to Keystone but Dexter was very helpful and pleasant. I dont know if you ever get the ok with Keystone first time around no matter how nice you are ...it usually takes a couple of times explaning the situation b/f they get the "Oh, Ok you right" thought in there heads. Just keep calling and stay as calmly as you can and hopefully you will get them to the "oh, ok you right" point. Good Luck!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote