Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2008, 03:29 AM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
W/D drain

Would like to know the IQ of the person that thought that plumbing the washer drain to the black using the vent pipe would work. One must leave the black tank open and that will cause PPP. (petrified pyrmid of poop) Real smart move guys. STUPID!!!!!!!

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:40 AM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Ours goes to the grey water tank.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I think they got smarter later on. My manufactured in May 2007, (2008 model 3400RL) has the W/D drain going to the outlet pipe and not to any tank. Only thing wife has responsibility for is to ask me if the drain is open.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I think they got smarter later on. My manufactured in May 2007, (2008 model 3400RL) has the W/D drain going to the outlet pipe and not to any tank. Only thing wife has responsibility for is to ask me if the drain is open.
Same here. My 3400 is an 07 made in the summer of 06.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There was a short period of time where the washer was plumbed into the black tank, like Dick's and Toni's. It was only for a few months, then Keystone read so many complaints in MOC that they re-evaluated and changed it to the current arrangement of plumbing direct to the dump pipe. That's what service center folks told me, anyhow.

Dick, you might consider replumbing that drain to the dump pipe. I would think a plumber could do it without much difficulty. Our 2003 3295RK was plumbed to the gray shower tank. We twice overflowed that tank because I forgot to open the valve. That was bad enough. I shudder to think about overflowing the black tank into the rig.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
My sister Sue had hers moved and now it's plumbed into the gray tank. I watched the Travelin' RV tech do it and it really wasn't hard.

Steve is correct, they only did that for a short period of time. They heard an ear full from us MOC-ers and changed it as Steve describes.

I have also ran my washer when the gray tank was closed as Steve talks about, but thank goodness we have the garden tub, so I didn't get any water overflowing into the RV.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
If the Washer/Dryer is plumbed right to the drain pipe, and there is no valve between the drain pipe and the sewer connection, what keeps the sewer fumes from coming up into the coach via that path?
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Is it possible to do 1 load of laundry in the washer without over-filling the grey tank?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
You can do one load in ours without overfilling it.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
There is nothing to keep the sewer smell from coming up the washer stand pipe, and it does when you run an exhaust fan in the unit. I put a valve on ours to stop that, they could have at lease put a p-trap in the stand pipe, which would have taken care of that situation.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:51 AM   #11
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
With all these problems (short loads, not drying correctly, venting the exhaust, clothes wrinkling, loss of storage space, taking forever to run a load) and the extra pin weight a unit would give, I'm glad we didn't get one! It sounds like the hour and $8.00 spent at the laundry mat is well worth not having the headaches.

I'm not trying to start something, those who have one and love it, I'm glad.
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:06 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I used to feel the same way, but after last winter in the laundrymats, waiting and waiting, and all day laundry sessions, and my not feeling well, I came back to the rig and said to Al, it is time to reopen negotiations. We are doing the research for said purchase. I would have said never, but, we all know that is a very bad word to use! Never, HA HA
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I gave the D/W as Splendide for Christmas...definitely one of my better moves. If it is properly installed, there are no odor and no back ups, it is a great addition, ...especially if you hate laudromats.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'm going to have to second all those who love their W/D.

I believe the chronology of the W/D prep plumbing fisaco went something like this:

Approx Jan 06 (not sure what they were doing before then): Started to get very surprised (and upset) MOCers, suddenly posting about black tank overflows with their w/d in the new units. Don't remember hearing anything earlier on the MOC about this, so the move must have been made around that time.

Early spring 2006: Angry MOCers still posting on black tank "backfires", but now some confused MOCers start responding that their GREY tanks are now overflowing and they are not sure what the "black tank people" are talking about.

Late spring 2006: All of a sudden w/d prep MOCers are reporting that their units coming out of the factory are now emptying straight into the main discharge and they are confused as to what the "Grey Tankers" and the "Black Tankers" were talking about..

I could be wrong but that was my take on it. I was following this very closely as we neared our order date for our 3400. So I was thinking, "Oh boy! Don't let them goof mine up..."

Our 3400RL was mfr'd 7/20/2006 (originally scheduled for May 31st) and it fortunately had the latter setup. We bought a main gate valve to put on the end of our drain pipe and that has worked great for us.

One important point: Don't forget to open the gate valve (with the main discharge setup) before starting your laundry. The first dump by the washer will IMMEDIATELY backup the laundry drain and it will flood the kitchen (3400RL) very quickly. Only happened once. At least it's not the black tank over flowing...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:27 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
First one has to accept that these are not your home W/D, not even close.It takes awhile and some experimentation before you get acceptable results.Once one learns how to use them they are just great. Now if you are not out long enough to wash a load or two of stuff it may not be worth the expense.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:03 AM   #16
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We are very pleased with our Splendide w/d combo. We do not have room for the stackables and this one works just fine. Now, instead of once a week or so at the laundramat (which we hate going to), we put in a load or two a day and go on with our day. Ours drains through the grey tank and, as mentioned before, one load will not overflow the tank (unless full from showers, etc already). If you are going to get one, get the vented version, though. It dries better and gets the moisture outside the rig.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:42 AM   #17
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Well it looks like a good time to re-post my fix for this problem.

Ok for all of you that have the 3400RL with the washer drain that goes into the black tank I have a fix if you’re ready to drop the panels and fix the problem with the poor engineering design from keystone.

First you will have to cut the drain line as it enters the black tank vent pipe, leaving about an inch on the vent pipe to allow you to glue a dead end cap on it.

Next you will have to cut wood next to drain pipe to allow it to turn far enough to clear vent pipe then using a 45 degree fitting, and straight pipe to a 90 degree fitting with a straight section down through floor to another 90 degree fitting then a straight piece to a 45 degree fitting, then a straight section into a 3 fitting with a end down to a 1.50 fitting.

As you can see there is no insulation in the section where the holding tanks are located, and the heat line into the belly is on the aft side of the tanks.

Beware even after doing this to always open the drain before using the washer, if you don’t it will not be able to vent, and will overflow into the washer and dryer closet!!!

Ok it’s time to have fun, and remember this will make the DW very happy!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/oldguard1/WaherDrainFix

The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote