Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2007, 04:02 AM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Washing your Montana with a Power Washer

While camped at a campground we say a guy pull up with a trailer and power wash a FW that was parked near us. The guy got up on the roof and washed it down, then power washed all of the sides.

Our son bought us a little power washer for Christmas to use on our Montana.

I am curious if anyone uses a power washer on your FW? Is this a good or bad idea to use one?

If it is a bad idea, how do you wash your Monty?

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:20 AM   #2
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We have washed and waxed our Monty twice in the first year. We used a soft brush on the roof and sides with good detergent. Also used some Black Streak removal "towlettes" we got as a "give away" at a rally that really worked. I don't have the exact name because they are in the Monty and I am in the stick house. I used Thetford roof washing material. I have portable power washer and will try it next time. I have been cautioned to be careful around the decals when using the power washer. I have not gone to "truck/car washes" because of the power in the sprayers. Also I used Aero Cosmetic Wash-Wax All for the waxing--it was great--about $24 per gallon. I used about 3/4 of the gallon for the wash and wax on my 3475RL. Easy to use--put on while the RV is wet and dry with a towel. No heavy buffing!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:08 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We had our rig power washed twice in the last two years. No after effects. Did a good job. No harm to decals.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We d0i use a power washer and have done so for many years on our campers.It is easier to wash with the PW.Of course we do not have it on the highest pressure as the highest pressure will put a groove in concrete.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:19 AM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I would never use a power wash on a RV with decals on it, that is a sure way to remove them. As for the roof, I wouldn't use a power wash on that either. To have a roof replaced is over $4,000 and I would rather hand scrub it than take a chance. I wash ours using a long handle RV brush and RV wash. It takes a while, but looks good when done.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:51 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I use a little electric power washer I got at Costco years back. It is not as powerful as a car wash, but is enough to get the dirt clods off the undercarriage. I just stand back a little further on the decals and it's never caused any trouble. The sun and snow does more damage to the decals at this altitude.

I use the hot water from the house through faucets I installed in the garage. The pressure washer uses a tenth of the water a regular hose does, so I don't get chewed out by Dory for draining the hot water tanks when she's trying to do laundry or something.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:55 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The power washer is a valuable tool IF you understand how it works and how to use it..
Old 03-22-2007, 06:42 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Once again I find myself telling it like it is.......
I repeat what was told to me by a graphics installer with 18 years in the business. He is actually an individual that could be considered an expert and therefore someone's advice I would tend to follow.

"DO NOT USE A POWER WASHER ANY WHERE NEAR THE GRAPHICS. ANYTHING MORE THAN GARDEN HOSE PRESSURE CAN AND WILL DAMAGE THE GRAPHICS."

Being that he has 18 years experience I would tend to follow his advise rather than a few RVers that luckily have gotten away with it. Sooner or later those same RVers will regret using their PW around their graphics.

As far as a PW on the roof? I would be so very very careful around any seems, vents, air conditioner(s) or anything else that protrudes through the rubber membrane.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:00 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I would expect that answer from an installer -

18 years isn't very much experience. I've been power washing graphics for over 35 years, ever since the auto and boat industry started using vinyl graphics at the factory in lieu of paint. You just have to use common sense
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I have a power washer, but use it only on the under carriage of the Montana, and only at home. If the road grime on the coach is really bad, the lower settings on (my) washer will not take it off. Plus, the washer is something else I don't have to lug around.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

I would expect that answer from an installer -

18 years isn't very much experience. I've been power washing graphics for over 35 years, ever since the auto and boat industry started using vinyl graphics at the factory in lieu of paint. You just have to use common sense
"common sense" That is the whole thing in a nutshell.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have a power washer and I will never use it on my Montana or any of my vehicles. I guess I am just old fashioned but I only power wash things that can't be hurt by high pressure. I have a Honda powered washer that will damage fibre glass if I get too close with the nozzle. Stay too far back and you might as well use your garden hose. I won't chance it and I was keeping vehicles clean long before pressure washers became common place. I have it for cleaning cement and preparing surfaces that I will be painting. My toys get tender loving care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:40 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Humm. I have noted that in every long term C.G we have been in this winter the folks that come around to "detail" your camper use a power washer to wash it. I would assume they all have very good insurance company to pay for all the graphics they peel off.Our Power washer will adjust to ' Garden hose" PSI to etch concrete PSI.We adjust it accordingly for the job being performed.It also mixes soap/wax/etc with the water if desired. We also have one of those long handled brushes and find it is also a handy tool.The term "power washer" does not necessarily mean it is a "Hi pressure power washer" The term"high pressure power washer" means that it is. In about every case the PSI availible, and instructions on how to use and adjust the washer are clearly stated on the washer or in the operators manual should we choose to read it.
It is of course a personal preference based on past experience and however we choose to do it is of course the correct choice for us. We are sure it has happened but we have NEVER personally seen camper graphics damaged by a power washer..We HAVE seen vinyl and aluminum siding on a house badly damaged by the operators lack of knowledge in the use of the High Pressure power washer.We have the HIgh Pressure power washer at home and have used it for several years to clean the aluminum siding portion of our home as well as to clean the driveway, wash the trucks and the campers and having been properly educated and trained in the use of the tool, have never damaged anything.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:31 AM   #14
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I used a power washer on my Terry 1997..believe me you do not want to do this ..your damage to decals will not show up instantly but will eventually...I totally agree with Glenn
"DO NOT USE A POWER WASHER ANY WHERE NEAR THE GRAPHICS. ANYTHING MORE THAN GARDEN HOSE PRESSURE CAN AND WILL DAMAGE THE GRAPHICS."
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #15
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I have a Bausfeld/Campbell 2800 psi gas powered powerwasher. I used it for 5 years on my Fleetwood Terry (fiberglass), and have been in business powerwashing trailers at the campground where I am a seasonal. I can adjust the psi, and do so accordingly. I have NEVER had a problem with graphics on my trailer, or anyone elses for that matter. I just back off the psi when working around the graphics. Actually, I don't really go over the graphics, but spray above them so the clean water rinses them off. I saw one camper use full power with her washer, ran over the graphics, and left gaping lines right through the graphics because she didn't back off the psi. If you're not eperienced, or comfortable using one, then don't use one. It's all just a matter of knowing how to do the work. JMHO

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #16
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
My husband has his own power washing business, we sometimes use the power washer but I would rather wash it by hand. The person doing the power washing needs to be careful with the amount of pressure and the type of nozzle they are using. You can do alot of damage if using the wrong nozzle.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 AM   #17
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We have a 1500psi power washer we bought at Home Depot several years ago that we use to wash our Monty. Granted, if I turn the nozzle down to the narrowist stream, I have enough pressure to peel the paint off of wood and have done so, but I use only the widest setting on the power washer and have had no problems.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #18
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Well I have read every post on this string to date. It is about a 50/50 mix as to PW Vs non-PW. I will have to agree with the comfort and common sense factor. I own a power washer, but just don't mind the old water hose and brush. I am sure one day, I will get tired of that and move to the PW. Good luck to you all.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:19 AM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I knew a cowboy who rode a saddle on his horse tending cattle for 40 years.

I wouldn't ask him which comfortable chair to buy for my RV.

Just because someone has done something for a long time does not guarantee they have ANY common sense.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote