Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
Aero_Dave

M.O.C. #18873
Stating to look at a Full Time Rig

Hello all, Dave here. I'm new here, but not new to camping. My DW & I just ordered and purchased a 2016 Jayco 5'er and love it. So far (knock-on-wood) no real issues after 8 camping trips and 28 nights in it. But I'm starting to think of our Next / Full-Time rig. I'm drawn to the 3711FL. Any one who has one, I welcome any feedback. Again, I'm just starting to look at our next rig, which maybe about 5 years away. But you never know, it maybe sooner & before we Full Time in it.

Dave...

Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
A full time rig is a different camper than a vacation camper. A vacation camper is one that is easy to pull a full time camper is one that is easy to live in.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Some of us who full time and have seen that new rig have a couple of things we don't like about it. Full timer's usually want a lot of storage space and Montana's usually give that, this rig has a good deal less storage than we are used to.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Been Fulltiming for 5+ years now and have learned alot but one floor plan I would never have for full timing is a Front Living like Dick said Very little storage, But I LOVE visiting people with FL's they are cool but not for fulltiming IMO
Old 08-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Have the rear den and it provides lots of storage and has the sitting area to entertain along with a great layout
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I bought a 375FL and will full time in it. Us short folks like the front living. It gives us more bedroom storage. W have fulltimed in a big MH DP and will miss a lot of storage which is very important for full timing and a good floor plan as well. Everything need to be functonal and useable.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:33 AM   #7
Aero_Dave

M.O.C. #18873
Thanks everyone. Yes, storage space is great and I could see the need for a lot when full timing.
Something I hadn't thought about that much. I know what is like to not have enough space. Our new rig
needed some help, so I've modified and added 5 drawers to it and it helps a lot! I'll continue to
research and look for feedback from others.

Thanks again,
Dave...
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:15 AM   #8
dhenry3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18670
We have a 2017 3710FL which is identical to the 3711fl except for residential refridgerator. We absoultly love it. The floor plan is the best we have owned and storage is great. We would definitly recommend this floor plan. We have had other SOB's but this is the one we were waiting for.

dhenry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
mtjtb
Established Member

M.O.C. #18927
I was looking at a 3710FL before I bought my 3610RL. I loved the living area but the turn off for me is that there is not a hanging closet in the trailer. Nowhere to hang a shirt. The outside storage is also smaller.
Aside from that it is a great floor plan.
mtjtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #10
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you are fulltiming, you don't have a house to serve as a crutch anymore. For better or worse, you only have the trailer you have with all its limitations. You have to divest yourself of everything that can't fit into a minimal space and minimal weight limitation model. You can't live under the same methods and manners that you do/did for a house. You need to be able to live in a minimalist environment, but you can be rewarded with a ton of wonderful experiences as you live in different parts of the country in this journey. You will also find out that any issue with your roaming house, if you want to think of it in that manner, is a major deal as you can't take it in to be fixed...unless you have a ton of money to throw at the hotel business while said work on trailer is done. This is why most of us fulltimers do all the work ourselves or deal with businesses that understand our trailer is our home and we can't just leave it for work on it. So...be extremely careful as you decide what rig is your fulltime home and what it takes to do this. Just my inputs on a major life change! John
Old 08-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #11
Firsterin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

If you are fulltiming, you don't have a house to serve as a crutch anymore. For better or worse, you only have the trailer you have with all its limitations. You have to divest yourself of everything that can't fit into a minimal space and minimal weight limitation model. You can't live under the same methods and manners that you do/did for a house. You need to be able to live in a minimalist environment, but you can be rewarded with a ton of wonderful experiences as you live in different parts of the country in this journey. You will also find out that any issue with your roaming house, if you want to think of it in that manner, is a major deal as you can't take it in to be fixed...unless you have a ton of money to throw at the hotel business while said work on trailer is done. This is why most of us fulltimers do all the work ourselves or deal with businesses that understand our trailer is our home and we can't just leave it for work on it. So...be extremely careful as you decide what rig is your fulltime home and what it takes to do this. Just my inputs on a major life change! John
Those are excellent points, especially about service to the rig if you're full time. When we had a KZ we took it to the plant in Shipshewana and they let us plug in behind the service area every night during the time they needed to work on it. They came and picked it up in the morning and brought it back to us in the afternoon. I'm not sure how many places would do that, but it was a huge help.
Firsterin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:12 AM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We do not full time, but do a lot of long timing. Even when only going for months at a time, storage is important. When we consider tools, outdoor recreation items, hobbies (thinking fishing, hunting, golf, etc) it takes a lot of basement storage. Do you want a water softener, washer/dryer, air compressor, etc. Think about how you live today and how it would fit in the fiver. Is a sewing machine or quilting fabric involved? A week ago I had the back of the truck filled with generator stuff and extra fuel. The back seat was filled with dog, extra water and kayak equipment. Basement full with fishing and ATV stuff. Now, we have the baby Montana - a 3160 Legacy. I do not believe we could full time in it.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #13
milsutter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17499
Send a message via AIM to milsutter Send a message via MSN to milsutter Send a message via Yahoo to milsutter
We have a 2011 3750FL and love it. We have been full time for about a year and a half. It has enough storage for what we want to carry. We will trade this year for a newer model, either another front living or a rear den. I want the 6 way leveling system.
Only issue we have is tires, but that is another discussion.
milsutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:04 AM   #14
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
We are not full timers - still supporting you SS collectors - and it is my pleasure to do so!! I think we will fall into the almost full timers group. Grands and family (and the DW) will dictate a home base. But we are looking forward to very long timing and workcamping. If we were ready now there were a couple ops. listed just recently on the FB - 5th Wheel group. But that will be a try it and see prospect!

I am interested in how many people have have all the "extras" in their 5er. Like washer and dryer. Our 353RL has the residential frig, but that requires power so either solar or a geni. How about tools, what types, etc?

Just interested Thanks Steve
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote