Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2005, 05:25 AM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Another WiFi question.

The park we are going to in Texas is supposed to have free WiFi. I have never used WiFi before, but I thought this would be a good opportunity to try it. As I understand it, I just need to buy a WiFi card for my laptop. Is there more I need to know about? Are all cards the same? e.g. if I pick one up at Radio Shack or Flying J, will it work anywhere there is WiFi available? Do I need any additional software? I just want to be prepared, so that I can take advantage of this "free" service. Any hints and advice, much appreciated.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:20 AM   #2
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
I'll be interested to see the replies to your questions. I have a linksys card in my laptop that works at home on the router I have for people in our campground. It works here in Georgia on one of my son's neighbor who has an unprotected link in his house. I'm on it now. Don't know which house but I would thank them if I knew.Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
I took my laptop with me to Radio Shack when I wanted to get a card for using WiFi with my laptop while traveling. Mine is Wireless-G by Linsky. So far it has worked everywhere I have tried it and is very simple...had to be or I would have never figured it out. TeeHee. Some campgrounds have free WiFi and others have a charge for the service. Service varies from place to place as to the provider of the WiFi. In other words what you need at Flying J and what you need at a campground as far as subscription service may be different. However the adapter card you actually put in your computer should work with all the various systems. Check out this website http://www.jiwire.com/ for somw hot spot locations and who provides the subscription service.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:05 AM   #4
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Only thing to watch for (especially in Canada) is whether the card is 802.11b or 802.11g. The 'b' version is older and works up to 11 MegaBits Per Second (mbps) while the 'g' version is good to 54mbps. That said, either should work anywhere except that the 'g' version is potentially faster so compare apples to apples.

As Joyce states there may be different parameters needed at different locations but they should be able to tell you what they are. That said, I did spend a very frustrating time trying to connect at a KOA with 'Hotspotzz' last summer.

You might look at a USB WiFi adapter. That way, it is very portable from PC to PC (or Macintosh) and easier to install.

Good Luck!
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The 'g' versions almost always (check the specs on the box) are backwards compatible with the 'b'.

John, once you've installed the card and its drivers, it should be pretty much automatic. You might need to select some options to make it automatic. Post or email me if questions and if you're running windows xp. I have Vicki's and mine set up to automatically attempt to connect to any available network and all I have to do is open my browser. On free wi-fi usually there's not even a need to log in, just start the browser and email app and go. If you have to log in, they should tell you the info you need at the park office. If you are sometime at a location where you pay for wi-fi, USUALLY when you start your browser it will come up with a login page from which you can "subscribe" with a credit card and start using it right away. Once we had to buy a prepaid card from the park office and use the login numbers on that card.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote