Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #21
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I will spare you the doctrine, but the problem is you can't "sign away" certain legal rights. Your points JandC are valid. That said, we are faced with certain dangers in our lives. If we use the BLM land open to every citizen, you can get away with almost anything. Go to a park where they have "unlimited liability" and services you desire, they make the rules. I totally agree with your points, but again, someone at sometime hit their head and rules are the only defense. Read the "Darwin Awards" and your faith in your fellow man fades. To tell you the truth, I bet it was a drunk bicycle rider that helped make that a rule! Take care...

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #22
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Found another CG that had rules that required a helmet to ride your bicycle on their property. It was Columbia Riverfront RV, Woodland, Washington. The manager even told me about the rule when we checked in. I suspect she observed my bicycle on the rack connected to the front of my truck when we pulled in. When we came out of the office to drive to our spot I had to wait for a gentlemen on a bicycle who was stopped talking to someone in front of the office...not wearing a helmet. Watched later as another rider came by our site....again no helmet. The next day we were talking to another camper who frequents the CG every year. She laughed at the helmet rules. She claimed that no one ever wears helmets in the park and was shocked that the manager even brought it up to us. I guess I got all fired up about nothing....it seems some of these CG managers are just throwing these goofy rules out there for liability reasons with no intentions of enforcing them, thinking that will somehow protect them from liability suits.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #23
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Go ahead... Live on the "Wildside "! Being a rebel is good. Fight the RVPark establishment! Lol. Teasing in good fun ! Half the rules at parks are not enforced! Lol. Take care...
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #24
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
My guess it is a CYA action. When somebody falls off their bike, the CG can say, "Look...it says right here in the rules, everybody must wear a helmet!"
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #25
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I know an ex Va senator who says every time you pass a law you infringe on someone's rights. That is the case here. Who's business is it if I won't to kill myself by not wearing a helmet. I wouldn't ride me motorcycle without a very good one. But this is a free country.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #26
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
Seat belt and bicycle helmet laws are also driven by insurance companies. I understand the want to ride in a campground without a helmet. I love to ride, visit with other campers and and check out all the other "rigs". The helmet just adds bulk and is a nuisance, but I have to respect the rules in the campground. Insurance rates have gone sky high for campground owners, that expense is directly due to the number of claims.

One respondent spoke of the how we had little personal safety gear as kids. It is true, we also accepted our falls and injuries as our own fault and didn't file a claim. Our society has moved to a position of blaming others and not accepting responsibility for our own actions. The rules are a direct reflection of our societies current attitudes towards responsibility.

Personally, I blame the courts!
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #27
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
The CYA is very understandable. If you split your skull while enjoying your anti-establishment freedom, he has the right to COVER HIS ASS when you try to sue him! The signage and any other communication about using a helmet while on CG property will go a long way in protecting him from you. Ease up folks! this is not someone trying to abolish your freedom, the owners are simply trying to move some of the responsibility for your safety over to you.
If injury recovery law was not so 'commercialized' and profitable as it has become, folks would be a lot more relaxed in life, in general.

When I was 9 years of age, I split my knee open resulting in surgery to repair a meniscus and 22 stitches. The father of my buddy who built the 40 MPH lawn mower I was riding came over and helped mamma stop the bleeding and took me to the ER. Not to say that my Mom and Pop would ever have sued anyone, but when this sort of thing happens today, the 40MPH cart/mower building-fun-loving dad of a friend would more than likely be sued, But not before the lawyers and his MD minions exaggerated the injury into a near death accident.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #28
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Thats what they make injury waivers for...
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:41 AM   #29
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Signs and wavers are fine, but the owner will still get sued when the bike rider without the helmet is hit by the kid driving grandpa's golf cart who was distracted by the dog who was trying to bite him who the owner "just let it out to do it's business and has never done anything like that before".
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:18 AM   #30
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I like your explanation Dick!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #31
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Signs and wavers are fine, but the owner will still get sued when the bike rider without the helmet is hit by the kid driving grandpa's golf cart who was distracted by the dog who was trying to bite him who the owner "just let it out to do it's business and has never done anything like that before".
Hence, the world we live in.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote