Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
pilk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1633
Send a message via AIM to pilk
Choice of email service

We are counting down on our entry into full-timing (3 more months). This past weekend we got new phones, aircard and laptop. The aircard is awesome! We were under the assumption that we would have email through Verizon at maybe a "verizon.net" address or something similar. We were surprised when the Verizon people told us to sign up with one of the free email services...Yahoo, etc. We were wondering what other Verizon aircard users were doing about email. Would love some feedback and suggestions. When we make our decision, we will let our home broadband go and notify all in our address book of the change.

pilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
We use gmail and it seems to work fine for us. We also have the Verizon broadband card and LOVE it. BTW, I am originally from Moline. Went to high school at Moline Senior High and my bro and now a niece attend Augustana College. So glad to see a fellow Illini on board here.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I personally use AOL.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Yahoo or Gmail work well. We had Earthlink from our dial-up days and because we had so much information on the email site, we opted to pay $3.00 per month to continue it. Works for us, not so nice for those who email us for the first time because the security filters are pretty tough.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Free web mail, gmail, hotmail, yahoo., even AOL now has web mail. ONLY way to go~!!!! You can even access them from a public library.

I have 2 accounts at yahoo, several at gmail, 1 at hotmail and 2 at AOL (still pay for that service, for now)

have Sprint aircard, it is fab!

Ditching the Hughesnet, no more tethered to the services at the stickbuilt. All cell phones too, no land line.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
pilk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1633
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by slewis

We use gmail and it seems to work fine for us. We also have the Verizon broadband card and LOVE it. BTW, I am originally from Moline. Went to high school at Moline Senior High and my bro and now a niece attend Augustana College. So glad to see a fellow Illini on board here.
Sandy
Old 07-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
pilk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1633
Okay...I give up...what is gmail?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
it is another service, yahoo is one, hotmail is another, gmail is another, offered via Google

Send me a EMAIL, not a PM, and I will send you an invitation to open a gmail account.

it is FREE. Al hates email, but, he is VERY happy with gmail.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Quote:
quote:2 at AOL (still pay for that service, for now)
Carol, Can I ask why? What am I missing?

pilk, I would highly recommend that if you are going full time that you look into joining the Escappees. You can find them at http://www.escapees.com. They are a club that caters to full timers and are just great. They have a free e-mailfor members that we use for all our business things but I use g-mail for my personal e-mail and Bill uses yahoo. Works great if you get a really good joke and I want to forward it to him.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We just dumped our local ISP and want with a Verizon air card. We signed up for two yahoo.com e-mail accounts. Works great.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Helen,

Had AOL pay service since 1200 baud speed was FAST! and BLAZING! A lot of years.

I have 2 email addies, one is personal and many researchers across the USA have that address and only that address, and the other is for a volunteer group and I have a ton of email addresses linked to that one and hate to have to redo that address book.

And, I have used the AOL to use a land line as recently as April to get internet connection. I wanted online BEFORE 9 PM (that was when I was using Verizon phone as my modem) as I had a lot of work that needed to be done and I did not want to be up all night doing it. I probably will not do that again, as we have the Sprint aircard, and we will investigate the possibility of dropping the service. Right now I am paying $10.00 a month for unlimited service at AOL. We saved that much $$ by dropping Hughesnet and going to Sprint aircard, so, I could still keep the service and come out even.

Did I answer the question Helen???
Old 07-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #12
pilk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1633
Thanks for the "heads up" on Escapees - we intend to join and I am glad to hear they offer email. I will definitely check that out.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
G-mail is my choice. Great spam filtering. www.gmail.com
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:24 AM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Of course as the MOC Webmaster I get to use a montanaowners.com email addy BUT I also have an email at Passport America. You should see the looks I get at RV shows when asked for an email addy. I give them my passportamerica.com address and 9 out of 10 times they ask if I work for Passport America.
I did have email with lycos.com but I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. They are ULTRA SLOW even with a Hi-Speed connection and they are constantly making changes.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:10 AM   #15
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Not being a fan of web based email, I use Hotmail as it can be downloaded to Outlook Express. I have been using it since 1995 so it is free for me. For new users it will cost $20.00 a year for it to be part of Outlook Express.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:43 AM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Believe you can download to Outlook with gmail with no charge. (Yep, here ya go: from their web site: POP access is free for all Gmail users and we have no plans to charge for it in the future. )

You can do the same at Yahoo, but, I believe they charge.

Wise to check it out yourself. I'm cheap, I take the free stuff, and run with it!