Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rear side marker light

I would sure like to see Keystone add a red marker light to the sides on the rear of the coach. We already have the two amber lights, I cannot imagine it would be that hard to run 1 additional light on each side. I know it would sure be helpful to those of us who tow at night to be able to see the tail of the coach while turning and backing in the side view mirrors of the truck.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Montana Sky, that's a great idea. I would also like to see them add a side turn signal light half way back on the fiver just like the big rigs.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:14 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Dave, Why not a clear light with enough illumination to light up the area? Seeeing where the rear corner of the trailer is some help but not if you cannot see what's back there that you could be backing into. Actually I guess that would be called a back up light. I'm not sure that a RED side marker would even be legal in some states.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:38 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Good idea Montana Sky. I use those lights on my other trailers for the same thing you are talking about.
They are not only legal in the state of Texas, they are required for anything 8 feet or wider.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:14 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Actually the red side marker light at the rear is required. Montana takes advantage of the side wrap tailights to meet the requirement, but unfortunately they are recessed so you can't see from the TV. Mountaineer and Everest actually have a separate red side marker light at the rear on each side.

I notice the Everest has round tailights (perfect for LEDs) AND backup lights.

AZ, I too would like to see midturn lights. I added them and there is a problem - the trailer wiring and TV standard wiring uses a combination brake turn light, so the midturn lights come on with the brake lights. It would take an electronic converter to break these up, but I have not found one.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:05 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Sounds like a great idea. However, for me, I try not to be traveling when I have to back into a spot after dark. It's not a good idea. Yet we hear rigs at all hours of the night pulling into parks. Makes me wonder: Have they been there before? Do they pay for their spot before they leave? We have seen people who arrive after dark and leave before sunup. Pretty sure they don't pay. Gives the true RVer a bad name.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Orv,

As a part timer, pulling in at night and leaving early is a part of our life. If we expect to get anywhere on the map we've got to get some dirt behind us during the day.

We always make sure we are planted before 10:00 PM as I hate rattling that diesel when people are asleep. All of the parks we have used have after hour tickets at the office door that give us our site number, pre-paid by credit card (thank goodness for cell phones and internet). Some have time limits for check in and we always honor that or find another park. The State Parks have night drop boxes for the fee. I certainly hope folks don't jump to conclusions that we are homesteading the spot without paying - as that would be an inaccurate assumption.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote