Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #41
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Yes, we've had some issues with ours, but its a heck of a lot better than our Forest River. We did a real PDI and caught 13 issues, and refused to accept sign the delivery docs until the most serious ones were fixed. Bottom line is they all have problems. Our build quality is better. FR was actually willing to take it back to the factory; I can't imagine KS doing the same.
Wrong, Keystone did it for us on our old rig and has done it for others.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #42
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
All have problems, some only minor, some only major, and some both. After my last FR never again.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #43
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I have owned 6 new 5th wheels and never had so many problems as we had in our new 92000 Montana. If we do it again, NO THOR PRODUCTS will we even look at.Thor has purchase nearly EVERY rv manufacturer. They take a GREAT BRAND like K-z and nickel and dime it to death then raise the prices!. Congress needs to get involved to stop the monopoly of ONE manufacturer,THOR!. All our exterior moulding has disintegrated, inside trim fall off the walls, axles eating tires, ceiling fan coming down, interior lights defective, fridge quit working, staples coming thru roof, emergency exit window latch broke,screws falling off shower glass door handles, carpet worn, and on and on.. If you have not bought one yet, look for another manufacturer that's parent company IS NOT THOR! My opinion... this unit is 2 years old now..When tring to get help from keystone, they refuse!. They tell you you take it to the dealer. Dealer says call Keystone!..see how this works? Never again...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #44
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
One more comment..NO! "THEY ALL DONT DO IT! Out of all others, one convertor failure that magnetek helped, one trim piece inside coming down after driving on yhe i10 near NOLA AND A VERY ROUGH road..we owned a TAHOE BY Thor previously. The cap and rear were Filon that warped so bad..They don't all do it!. However, if it's a Thor product, then they all do it..
Old 01-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #45
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
I have owned 6 new 5th wheels and never had so many problems as we had in our new 92000 Montana. If we do it again, NO THOR PRODUCTS will we even look at.Thor has purchase nearly EVERY rv manufacturer. They take a GREAT BRAND like K-z and nickel and dime it to death then raise the prices!. Congress needs to get involved to stop the monopoly of ONE manufacturer,THOR!. All our exterior moulding has disintegrated, inside trim fall off the walls, axles eating tires, ceiling fan coming down, interior lights defective, fridge quit working, staples coming thru roof, emergency exit window latch broke,screws falling off shower glass door handles, carpet worn, and on and on.. If you have not bought one yet, look for another manufacturer that's parent company IS NOT THOR! My opinion... this unit is 2 years old now..When tring to get help from keystone, they refuse!. They tell you you take it to the dealer. Dealer says call Keystone!..see how this works? Never again...
Montana, doesn’t have a 92000 model..
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #46
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I am amazed at the number of folks that buy these RVs and expect them to be built like tanks. Your buying something that is up to 40' long and can be towed by a pickup at highway speed! It has to be built light and it is going to take some serious abuse. That is a recipe for structural issues and is universal across the industry is it not? With all that going against them, I really don't see any more issues on these units than you would have with a stick and brick home. And since a 5th wheel doesn't cost much more than your tow vehicle, you shouldn't expect it to last much longer but I have seen many that with proper care do!

I had a guy tell me one time "don't buy an RV unless your a carpenter/mechanic/welder/plumber/electrician all rolled into one". I think he was right!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #47
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
Anyone that thinks Thor is bad should check the FR problem. One of the reasons for my HC is the service manager at the dealer says they are easiest to work with. I found my dealer can get through to Montana but even the factory rep will not respond to emails from owners.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #48
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
That is what the msrp on ours was... Legacy...Loaded...
Old 01-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #49
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I am amazed at the number of folks that buy these RVs and expect them to be built like tanks. Your buying something that is up to 40' long and can be towed by a pickup at highway speed! It has to be built light and it is going to take some serious abuse. That is a recipe for structural issues and is universal across the industry is it not? With all that going against them, I really don't see any more issues on these units than you would have with a stick and brick home. And since a 5th wheel doesn't cost much more than your tow vehicle, you shouldn't expect it to last much longer but I have seen many that with proper care do!

I had a guy tell me one time "don't buy an RV unless your a carpenter/mechanic/welder/plumber/electrician all rolled into one". I think he was right!!
Really? Outside trim that disintegrates in a year? Carpet worn in two years.. Really... Our KZ still had the original outside moulding trim and original carpet after 12 years that looked New.. Our roof material was MUCH Thicker and did not have staples pushing thru... I don't think I need Lessons on Proper care... Some people dont expect much I guess...
Old 01-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #50
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Hi DFB, As you notice there are many Montana Fans that are not in the world of reality. My MSRP on My 2016 was 76K. With all the issues I have had I overpaid by about 30K. Not to mention it took over a year to get Keystone to fix issues so it could be used. Either these folks cannot see the issues, are trying to keep stuff hidden thinking it will help resale valueor are just Flamethrowers. You can pst the absolute truth, back it up with facts but there are those on the site that will politely call you a liar to discredit anything negative you post. I have had over a dozen RV's and Motor Homes and this one by far is the worst purchase I have ever made. It is a shame with record sales they seem to be using unskilled labor to perform assembly that usually requires skill tradesmen. 83% of the market is owned by Thor or Forest River so some of the statements about they are all delivered with problems is true. No one checks with the few manufacturers that still have pride and quality.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #51
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
What's a 92000 Montana? I've never heard of that one!
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #52
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
What's a 92000 Montana? I've never heard of that one!
its what the Dealer had inside the RV... model 3610 rl... Legacy Package...
Old 01-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #53
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Get the best price you can for your Montana and purchase another brand that is not a Thor product and a manufacturer that cares about its customers. . You have a piece of junk.It is obvious no one will help you there is no reason to keep it. We had a similar problem with another manufacture now out of business and got rid of it in less than a year.

Hopefully your input will deter other from a similar purchase and problems.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #54
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our new 3720 is a great rig with no problems so far. If you don't like Keystone you might want to try Fleetwood or Holiday Rambler. They currently are recalling rigs with satellite dishes on the roof because they ran out of plywood and put some kind of composite under them instead. Now they are leaving the roof as rigs go down the road.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #55
Five O'clock Somewhere
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20168
I agree that anything build by man can have issues, be it a RV or $100,000,000 home. I have had three Keystone in the past starting in the early 2000's have had been very happy with the quality of the product. June 2017 we purchased a 2018 3731FL and while we love the layout, there had been so many issues most of which were denied by Keystone under warranty we are looking to take the loss and trade it in on a different brand. I feel the problem is in a lack of quality control. A former Keystone employee related to me they had 30 minutes to apply all the decals. Buyer beware.
Five O'clock Somewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #56
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
Thanks to all for weighing in on my post. The bottom line is many of you agree that most, if not all, RV's are going to have issues in some form or another. My experience with the Alpine I just sold is the same. I had several minor issues over the three years I had it, which is to be expected as most of you have said. It just seemed that the Montana was especially hit hard by other sites and reviews so I decided to ask the experts who actually own these units. By the way, maybe I didn't word it clearly but I wasn't referring to this forum as having trolls with negative intentions. I was referring to the many other sites i researched. That's why I came here for clarification. Thank you for that. Right now my plan is to purchase a 3791RD next season - perhaps a 2019 in April.
I must disagree... THEY ALL DONT HAVE THE TYPES OF ISSUES THESE THOR PRODUCTS HAVE! I spoke to a guy where his entire back wall fell off! They all don't do it. I have owned 2 aljos, a prowler, an a K-z new vision ultra and another Thor product, a Tahoe.. our new Montana has the outside black moulding disintegrating in the sun... they all don't do it.. shower door handles that come off the glass... They all don't do this.. carpet worn after 2 years, THEY ALL DONT DO THIS.. screws falling out of the flappy fenders and lower sides.. No!. They all don't do this.
Now, if a converter fails, I'm ok., or fridge, water heater fails I'm ok with that. But when a unit leaks, or walls fall off, staples coming thru the roof , fender flapping in the winD, CARPET wearing so fast..I'm not ok...
We have a 2015 Montana 3610 legacy.. I can't wait to get rid of it!. Does it sound like I'm a TROLL?!. No, I'm a very unhappy purchaser from a company that makes a product for a one time sale. The problem is ONE company, THOR owns nearly every Rv manufacturer. No competition, n need for building a competitive Rv, no need to compete for prices...
Right now we are looking to find an older K-z escalade. High quality, very nice before Thor bought them.. THEY ALL DONT DO IT!
Old 02-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #57
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
dfb, I am sorry you had a bad experience with your Montana. I believe we have heard your message numerous time now.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #58
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
dfb, I am sorry you had a bad experience with your Montana. I believe we have heard your message numerous time now.
I realize you have read it multiple times. The problems are still there..lol
Old 02-10-2018, 06:11 PM   #59
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
I must disagree... THEY ALL DONT HAVE THE TYPES OF ISSUES THESE THOR PRODUCTS HAVE! I spoke to a guy where his entire back wall fell off! They all don't do it. I have owned 2 aljos, a prowler, an a K-z new vision ultra and another Thor product, a Tahoe.. our new Montana has the outside black moulding disintegrating in the sun... they all don't do it.. shower door handles that come off the glass... They all don't do this.. carpet worn after 2 years, THEY ALL DONT DO THIS.. screws falling out of the flappy fenders and lower sides.. No!. They all don't do this.
Now, if a converter fails, I'm ok., or fridge, water heater fails I'm ok with that. But when a unit leaks, or walls fall off, staples coming thru the roof , fender flapping in the winD, CARPET wearing so fast..I'm not ok...
We have a 2015 Montana 3610 legacy.. I can't wait to get rid of it!. Does it sound like I'm a TROLL?!. No, I'm a very unhappy purchaser from a company that makes a product for a one time sale. The problem is ONE company, THOR owns nearly every Rv manufacturer. No competition, n need for building a competitive Rv, no need to compete for prices...
Right now we are looking to find an older K-z escalade. High quality, very nice before Thor bought them.. THEY ALL DONT DO IT!
Sorry but they all may or may not. This one did not even get home ~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00FBEEBF-F9FD-4147-A3B5-243778ECB675_zpsqu9f9d4s[1].jpg
Views:	32
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1187  
Old 02-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #60
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Even the high quality high price units you mentioned purchase appliances, such as toilets, refrigerators, Air conditioners, tv, etc from another source. You can have the same problems with any RV. I toured the RV Factory (Augusta Luxe) and was not impressed with the answers I got when I asked about warrenty work and service. They more or less said that "We build it right and you won't have problems" Kind of like saying you will be alright till out of sight.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote