Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
What about superchips?

I see stuff on the internet about performance enhancing superchips for diesels claiming better performance and higher milage. Does anyone have this gismo on their tow vehicle? If so, what comment would you make?

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:28 PM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
You have to be careful with chips. They will program your shifting and fuel such that your EGT(Exhaust Temp) will run hotter. In some cases the increased power will require that you change your exhaust system so you don't melt your pistons. Therefore once you decide to go with a chip you should have a pyrometer installed to read your EGT.

What I have is the Superchips 1705 programmer. One of the programs you can load is a "Tow Safe" program. It loads this program into your "STOCK" Chip. You can also easily remove this program. The new programmers have a total of 3 programs (New exhaust required for two of the programs). The programmer also reads about 256 diagnostic codes from the computer for troubleshooting.

I define enhanced performance as an increase in Power, Shifting, and mileage. Others will remove the mileage part.

For mine the shifting is much smoother and a mileage increase of 1 to 1.5 mpg. I get 17-20 in town and on the road. I get 12-14 towing.

Caution: If you have a Ford and you take it into the garage for service you can expect your warranty to be voided if they find these after market enhancements. I can put the original ford program back into the stock chip in a few minutes time.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:40 PM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We have a 2000 Dodge diesel and my other half added a performance air cleaner assembly about two years ago. It replaces the factory air cleaner assembly system and allows the engine to "breath" alot better. We have better performance and mileage from doing that.

I also notice that from the front passenger seat, it sounds like a jet aircraft taking off for the wild blue yonder every time we accelerate.

We own an automotive repair center so we're not too concerned about the dealer voiding any remaining warranty on the engine.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:22 AM   #4
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Lightingjack11, I have been looking at the Superchip programmer 1705 also. I need something that will give me more power climbing hills without so much down shifting. The local dealer wants $430.00 for it. Is it hard for a "simple" mind to operate?
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 03:41 AM   #5
hodag
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #150
i have the same superchip program as lightingjack and would say just the same as he. i did open up the exhaust from converter back and installed gauges to monitor temps. am pleased with program.
hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:57 AM   #6
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I drive a 454 Vortec gasser that I am programming / reprogramming its computer all the time depending on the type of load and or trip. I purchased the plugin chip reprogrammer which lets me set and reset all types of engine settings, calibrations and view engine trouble codes at a cost of around $400. It also has presets; Stock, Enconomy, RV/Towing and High Performance. It has worked wonders for me. I dont understand why the manufacturer doesnt include something simliar in their vehicles. I guess it would make too much sense. I also added a throttle body spacer, cold air intake system and true dual exhaust (no crossover at the engine to a muffler and dual pipes out the back of the muffler; rather its dual pipes and mufflers the whole way). I increased my milage when towing from 6/7 mpg at 68 mph to 7/9 mpg at 68 mph and around 8 mpg at 70 mph. When not towing I was getting around 11 mpg at 70 mph; now I get close to 15 mpg at 70 mph. I feel the increased performance has been well worth the investment and mods I made.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island FL
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 09:35 AM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
jsnipe42,

It is extremely easy to operate.

Plug in the 1705 to the diagnostic port under the dash.
Turn ingition on.
Select A for Tuning or B for diagnostics.
Rest of the instructions is clear.

You must have an original ford chip with a ford program to load one of 1705 programs. The diagnostics will work regardless. The 1705 will go VIN lock after loading a program. That way you can only load it into 1 vehicle at a time so if you buy a used one make sure it is not VIN locked by plugging it into your vehicle. It will tell you as soon as you plug it in.

The company is located in Sanford Fl (888-CAR-CHIP). I don't think they sell but will be glad to answer questions.

My 1705 will program the 7.3L engine from 96-2003.

you can find the tuners on e-bay to get a cheaper price. Usually around 300.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:44 AM   #8
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
oh, you can download a short version of the manual at:

www.superchips.com/html/installation/index.htm
Old 10-08-2004, 01:28 AM   #9
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Thanks Lightningjack11. I am going to a superchip dealer today and check them out. I did have a plug in chip in the past but it was all preset and I could not make any changes. Simply plug it in or take it out. I am going to east Tennessee next week and I need a little extra help climbing the hills at highway speed.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 03:27 AM   #10
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
While towing don't use the hottter programs. Stick with "Towsafe"

On a 2002 you should get about a 60-80 hp boost. For a 97 it is only 40. It has to do with the intercooler or something like that

Autometer makes a good pyrometer. Takes about 30-45 minutes to install. Go to thedieselstop.com and they show a pix and how to install. If you install per the pix do not exceed 1300 degrees F too long. You need a pyrometer for any chip enhancement.

There could be some better products out there but I have no experience with them.

Old 10-10-2004, 03:25 PM   #11
mmrxboss
Established Member

M.O.C. #1425
Howdy. I have a '03 Chevy Duramax and am running the EDGE system. The install time was about 5 minutes to operational. It took a couple of hours to install the exhaust gas temp probe. Plus I have the 'Attitude' which is basically a control head that resides in the cab. I consider this head a MUST as it allows me to change my boost levels on-the-fly. There are 5 factory set boost/shift/?? levels but the advise I have been given is not to tow at more that level 2. I have had 1 long tow with the unit and was very happy. Level 1 let me run at 65, pull must grades with out dropping out of cruse control and I got 10+ mpg. I checked out level 2 but was not able to see a change for 'running'. However the ability to change levels really was great on longer grades as I was able to boost on the fly.

John & Kristi Elam
'03 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew LB with The Edge power chip!
'04 Montana 3650RK
** 6 yr to retire and counting **
mmrxboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:48 AM   #12
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
[quote]Originally posted by stiles watson

I see stuff on the internet about performance enhancing superchips for diesels claiming better performance and higher milage. Does anyone have this gismo on their tow vehicle? If so, what comment would you make?
I had a problem with my tranny on two dfferent occasions when I installed my Superchips, shifted terrible and had to have clutches replaced both times. Don't know if this was coincidence or what ever, but am afraid to try again. Anyone ever heard of this happening before? Have heard nothing but good reports, except for mine.
Thanks.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 12:31 PM   #13
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Had smae problem, after having two transmissions in less than 24K miles I took it out and sold it. I do have some other upgrades, I have installed Banks TransCommand which works great on my transmision keeping converter locked up with heavy loads. Also have 4" exhaust adn BD Xmonitor to keep check onthings. I pull 3685FL about 19,700 total GVW with truck as well. I was having temps around 220 degrees I wanted to keep it cooler so I installed a B&M 24K GVW trans cooler in series with factory cooer. I also installed external filter kit all gotten from dieselman.com. All in all lowered my temps about 30 degrees whcih is great. As far as SuperChips adder that's up to you but not for me.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:31 PM   #14
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We have '03 Duramax/Allison with Hypertech program. It installs through the diagnostic connector like most of the others. I always restore the factory program before going to the dealer to avoid confusing their diagnostic equipment. I have not added a larger exhaust but have considered coring the muffler.

The program has been in for 18 months and 25,000 miles with no problem. The extra 90 or so ponies and 150 ftlbs of torque are really welcome when I need them. We just finished towing 8500 miles including climbing out of the verde valley coming from Flag back to Phoenix. We pulled that grade (6% for about 5 miles) and never dropped below 55 mph. This is pulling an overloaded 3295 Big Sky (Rated gross @ 14,400 pounds). From ABQ to Flagstaff, I locked in at 75mph and that big old Duramax never missed a beat. The tranny never got above 190 degrees.

Normally, I don't push that hard but I had a bit of get-home-itis after six months on the road. Bottom line, I highly recommend the Hyper-tech program.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote