Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Possible water damage to converter?

Per another post I mentioned a water leak from my antisiphon/backflow preventer valve in the black tank flush. The leak was directly over my converter. Don't know how much water, if any, go in/on the converter. But while trying to get to the valve, I noticed the fan on the converter running constantly even though there was nothing operating on 12 VDC.
I measured the voltage at the battery. It was 13.44 volts with the converter running and 13.10 volts when I threw the breaker for the converter. So it appears it is working. But I am concerned about the fan running as I would assume that means it is charging the battery. Concerned the sensing circuit may be damaged and it may overcharge the battery. Rarely ever heard the fan running before.
I left the breaker off and will check it tomorrow after it has time to dry out.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I have the Progressive Dynamics 90 amp converter and very often the fan is running, actually on mine I have two fans and sometimes both will be running depending on how much 12V draw there is at that time and what charge stage the maintainer is in.

check your green light on your converter, it blinks at different rates depending on what the charge rate is. Can't remember but I think the 13.4 V range is the maintenance voltage and the green light will be blinking slowly. It is explained in your converter owners manual. In any rate 13.4 volts will not overcharge the batteries.

Won't hurt anything to let it sit and be sure it is not wet, however it appears to be working ok.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Bill, you better get this sorted out. Janice and I are looking forward to seeing you at FV. Hope everything dries out for ya and you find the valve you need, quickly.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
First time out this year and first chance to test everything. Running late due to multiple things going on. Should have found a way sooner. Cutting it kind of close.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Ed - I will try to check all that tomorrow. I can't even recall ever hearing the fan running while in the storage unit. And today after returning from a short trip and plugging it in the fan ran continuously. Tripped the breaker and reset it and the fan would restart after about a minute and continue to run.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I don't know what converter you have Bill, my daughter has one in the living quarters of her horse trailer and it's fan runs "all" the time the unit is plugged into shore power.
I can only speak to what happens on my Progressive Dynamics converter. Mine is located in the bathroom and often when I go in there one or sometimes both fans are running, it is dependent on the draw on the system at the time. The automatic charge rates on my unit are Maintenance = 13.2 Volts Charging = 13.8 volts and every so many hours it kicks up to 14.? volts for a short period of time. I do not remember the exact voltages without looking them up but this is close.

You can google your particular converter and should be able to get information on the performance and specs on it. The fans are just cooling fans and if not set to run all the time they will come on when required to cool the heat sinks in the converter, they are controlled by either heat sensing or voltage sensing.

Just a thought Bill but if you ran the slides in and out when you were not plugged in to shore power on that short trip today then the battery/batteries were likely needing some additional charging and that extra load might have caused the fan to run. Even when plugged in to shore power after I have run all 4 of my slides in or out the converter fan will be on because the converter is working harder to recharge the batteries. Hope there is no water damage and all will be well.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote