Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Catalytic Heater

Has anyone installed a catalytic heater? I'd think a catalytic heater would save some battery power when dry camping?
Thanks,
Jerry

daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:15 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by daneboy

Has anyone installed a catalytic heater? I'd think a catalytic heater would save some battery power when dry camping?
Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry,
We've used a Wave 6 for 4 years now and wouldn't be without it. We had it installed as a portable unit with a 3ft hose on it. It has a quick disconnect so we can take it out of the living room when we bring the slides in. Not only does it save battery power when dry camping, it also saves on propane. Think about it: the furnace exhausts a lot of heat; it is about 70% efficient; the catalytic is 100% efficient.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:39 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:
Jerry,
We've used a Wave 6 for 4 years now and wouldn't be without it. We had it installed as a portable unit with a 3ft hose on it. It has a quick disconnect so we can take it out of the living room when we bring the slides in. Not only does it save battery power when dry camping, it also saves on propane. Think about it: the furnace exhausts a lot of heat; it is about 70% efficient; the catalytic is 100% efficient.

Just asking, what do you do about the fumes from those heaters when using inside the trailer, they do use oxigen and create carbinminoxside.

TT2
Old 11-30-2005, 07:29 AM   #4
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
WE have a catalytic heater hard wired to the wall by the steps. as others have said wouldnt be without it!! never use our furnace as it is a battery and propane hog as for fumes, this rig has an Oxegen sensor on it and is so efficiant that we dont have a fume problem----Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of the portable installation. I looked at 3 locations and Camping Woprld has the best price so far. I'll be buying one soon for my 2955RL. I guess all you long time 5th wheelers already know this but the 29 foot 5'r measures 34.5 ft. including the ladder.
Jerry
Old 11-30-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2
Quote:
quote:Jerry,
Have not experienced any fumes of any kind in the 4 years we've used it. Friends of ours have the catalytick heater mounted permanently and they also say they have never experienced any fumes. You have to know that there is no open flame. The design of the heater is such that the pad that's used is what is heated up and the heat is radiated out into the room. I'm not a scientist but I would think that after 4 years if there were any fumes I would have experienced them.

Quote:
quote:Just asking, what do you do about the fumes from those heaters when using inside the trailer, they do use oxigen and create carbinminoxside.

TT2
Old 12-01-2005, 02:26 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
There is no open flame. Have never, ever experienced anything resembling fumes or carbon monoxide. Our Carbon Monoxide Detector has never indicated any carbon monoxide!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:13 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I believe these units are all labeled in BIG LETTERS on the front that they are "SAFE FOR INDOOR USE". I also was looking at these. Expensive... but nice.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:28 AM   #9
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I use one in my 6x12 hunting trailer and have had no problems with it. I bought the legs and so its free standing. Keeps ya nice and warm when its snowin' and blowin'
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:23 AM   #10
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
We noticed Camping World has these on Sale this week and are seriously thinking of picking up a wave 8.

Orv, You say yours is portable, do you have a line that runs to the outside of your rig to your fuel source? or how is it set up? Thanks in advance.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:57 AM   #11
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Catalytic heaters don't do the fumes or Carbon monoxide thing. We used one for years in our popup camper. BUT they can use up the oxygen in an enclosed space. Some years ago, I recall some hunters died of hypoxia in Northern AZ. The news report said they had a catalytic heater in their cabover camper. Maybe, the new ones are better but it seems to me it would be a good idea to read all the fine print.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:43 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by melnjoy

We noticed Camping World has these on Sale this week and are seriously thinking of picking up a wave 8.

Orv, You say yours is portable, do you have a line that runs to the outside of your rig to your fuel source? or how is it set up? Thanks in advance.

Joy
Joy,
I had a line installed inside the rig. They cut into the line to the hot water heater under the kitchen sink, then ran a line with a quick disconnect fitting through the cabinet wall. I merely connect a 3 ft flexible line to the quick disconnect when I want to use the heater. When we travel, I disconnect and place the heater in the bedroom/bathroom area. My rig is likely different than yours, but if you go to someplace like Camping World and tell them what you want, e.g., where you want the installation to be, they will get it there.

We're really glad we had it installed as a portable unit because it allows us to direct the heat in whatever direction we want it.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:17 AM   #13
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Kind of funny....started reading this post yesterday about Catalytic heaters. Went to a big community garage sale at the campground we are staying at and got a nearly new 9,000 btu DynaGlo for 40 bucks. On the box it noted that you can use indoors or outdoors, but that you should have adequate ventilation. Will be nice on cooler evenings outside or to help warm up our living area on cool mornings.............Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:58 AM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Les,
Sounds like an awesome find. I really like the thought of using it outside under the awning on a cooler evening. Will have to keep my eyes open for one in the future, thanks for a great idea.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #15
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
I ordered the Wave 6 from Camping world on sale. It was $288.37 including tax and freight while on sale and using the president's club discount. Also there is a quick disconect with a 6ft.hose hook up kit and portable legs available for $89.00 including freight from [/url] out of Scottsdale AZ. I'll let you know how the installation goes after I've got it in place. RV Solar Electric also has a nice free small catalog.
Jerry
Old 12-05-2005, 03:21 AM   #16
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Daneboy,
Looking forward to hearing about how things go and where you have it installed.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:10 AM   #17
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Please, please, please make sure you have adequate ventilation for any catalytic heater use indoors. On one of the other forums this same subject is going. There are several reports of deaths and pleas from firemen not to use them in a closed camper. We love you all and don't want to lose anyone.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:38 PM   #18
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Don't worry about the ventilation---our Montanas all have enough air filtration even with all the windows shut. But leaving a vent open is wise and you need to exhaust the moisture which can build up anyway. We have used ours for more than six yrs and it is great--only problem is that it often gets too hot on low. Had it rebuilt twice at the factory---cheaper than buying a new but not cheap. Discovered that Mexican Butane is more contaminated than US Propane and causes the screens to fail faster.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote