Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
mdhill
Established Member

M.O.C. #13285
head of bed low

We have a new 3402. A couple things so far. The closet doors come off while traveling. I think I will tie them back to each side next time out. Damaged one already. Second thing, the head of the bed is about an inch below level. Anyone else with these problems and how did you fix them? Thank you

mdhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
From the description of your closet doors, I'm guessing you have the new floor plan 3402RL. You should still be under warranty for both issues.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
mdhill
Established Member

M.O.C. #13285
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BethandKevin

From the description of your closet doors, I'm guessing you have the new floor plan 3402RL. You should still be under warranty for both issues.
Hi Kevin, yes it is a 3402rl.This is our thrid new rv over the years. I am not nearly as picky as I used to be about problems. If I can fix it myself it is easier then unloading and taking to the dealer. Had the trailer about a month now and put on about 1200 miles and that is all that has gone wrong. Oh ya...the air bed leaks off. Fit and finish seems pretty good.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
It sounds like the bed platform has some issues, had some myself, what I would recommend is put out the slide, remove the mattress, unscrew the bed platform, 2 sections of plywood, remove the props that hold up the lower piece, remove the plywood, now you will see another piece of plywood held in with a few screws, remove that section, now you have a frame only with all the workings exposed, move the slide in and out and see what is screwing up, the casters, or the frame is falling apart, fix the problem, re install all the panels, but use a tape measure to cross square it up, add more screws than were there to give it added support, I spent a couple of hours on ours last year works great now.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's ok to fix things yourself, but when it's under warranty I would still have Keystone fix it. We were having the with the breaker kicking when the slides were going in and out. Common wisdom was to change the breaker to a higher one. Took it to Keystone and they found that the large slides hole was a hair too small and it was dragging each time it came in or went out. They had to take the whole slide out, cut the hole bigger and then replace the finish when they put it back in. My point is, if it's under warranty make them fix it and make sure it really is a small thing. In the end they also put a large breaker in, but we would have had bigger problems down the road I had only changed the breaker.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #6
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
With the bed problem, that is very typical; just level your unit and then place a level on the bed base. You will find that the bed slopes downward to the head. I solved this by removing plywood base and installed a tapered 1 1/2 inch wide piece wood the length of the bed on each side to increase the head of the bed about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. I also shimed the cross pieces to compensate for the slope on each side. Placed the plywood base back on and now bed is level or a bit higher at the head when unit is level.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
mdhill
Established Member

M.O.C. #13285
All good advice. Thank you all very much.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I agree with Dick. With my luck, I'd break or screw something up while trying to fix it, and then Montana would tell me I voided the warranty. Not that Montana would necessarily do that...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
You could just do what us Missouri Hillbillies do and just level the whole rig a little high on the head side. Work, to fix something like you describe scares the heck out of me. I'd rather sit back and watch someone else skin their knuckles while I drink a beer or ice tea.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
When our 2012 - 3402RL was in to have the "flex" issue repaired, the bedroom slide was removed, this was done just prior to our leaving on holiday, six nights travel, six in and outs and two at the campground in Yuma.
Yesterday I put the slides out for the 9th time since the repair, well the slide went out without the bed. All the screws have now ripped out of the slideout wall and it is a hell of a looking mess. The previous work was done under warranty, I would only allow this current issue to be done by the dealer under warranty, if no warranty then they will not be performing the work. I will fix it myself knowing it will be done right and there will never be another problem.

It is fine to suggest you should have everything done under warranty, no matter how small, however one must consider the time and inconvenience of doing so, notwithstanding the lack of quality workmanship that has been demonstrated by the local Keystone dealer and many others.

This is another example of poor engineering and workmanship starting at the factory and continuing through the dealers. The repair of one problem should not lead to another problem which seems to be the case with this slide.

I guess I should not complain, I only had to fix seven smaller items while on holiday that were again the result of crappy workmanship at the factory and crappy QC. I have several other issues which were supposedly dealt with before the expiry of my warranty but were not done properly and leave me now to fix them myself. So far my closet doors have stayed in place.

I am yet to become a happy Montana owner and justify that statement with all the problems I have had, unfortunately I cannot afford to make a change at this stage in my life.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

You could just do what us Missouri Hillbillies do and just level the whole rig a little high on the head side.
Or put the pillows at the other end of the bed!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
mdhill
Established Member

M.O.C. #13285
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

When our 2012 - 3402RL was in to have the "flex" issue repaired, the bedroom slide was removed, this was done just prior to our leaving on holiday, six nights travel, six in and outs and two at the campground in Yuma.
Yesterday I put the slides out for the 9th time since the repair, well the slide went out without the bed. All the screws have now ripped out of the slideout wall and it is a hell of a looking mess. The previous work was done under warranty, I would only allow this current issue to be done by the dealer under warranty, if no warranty then they will not be performing the work. I will fix it myself knowing it will be done right and there will never be another problem.

It is fine to suggest you should have everything done under warranty, no matter how small, however one must consider the time and inconvenience of doing so, notwithstanding the lack of quality workmanship that has been demonstrated by the local Keystone dealer and many others.

This is another example of poor engineering and workmanship starting at the factory and continuing through the dealers. The repair of one problem should not lead to another problem which seems to be the case with this slide.

I guess I should not complain, I only had to fix seven smaller items while on holiday that were again the result of crappy workmanship at the factory and crappy QC. I have several other issues which were supposedly dealt with before the expiry of my warranty but were not done properly and leave me now to fix them myself. So far my closet doors have stayed in place.

I am yet to become a happy Montana owner and justify that statement with all the problems I have had, unfortunately I cannot afford to make a change at this stage in my life.
Sorry to hear you have had so much trouble. I know what that is like with my last 5th wheel. I hope this one is better.