Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Winegard Travler install

Received my sat antenna today. Install on roof and connection to receiver is not any problem that i can see.
Question is this-My entertainment center is in my curbside slide. I would like to mount the powerbox at the entertainment center, but how to get the power cord from the box to the dish? Thought about running the power cord to the basement and following the junction box up, but tough pulling all that wire up, and it is only 30 feet long.
Since it is only power for the sat dish, i could actually mount it anwhere that has an ac outlet, like the laundrycloset or possibly the bedroom closet.
Anyone have experience or advice?

Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
How about installing a shelf in the basement area and installing the control box there? After you level the 5r and plug up the AC power, you can turn on the controller and then start the connections for water, sewer etc...while the dish is locating the sats
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I was just thinking about that. Since the controller is not part of the entertainment system, i could put it anywhere there is an ac port. In the basement, i just installed a a/c plug in for basement tv. That would make it easy to stow it while breaking down, and verify that it is stowed. And in my set up list, affer chocking, unhooking, and setting upthe power and water, i usually start settting up the awning and chairs. That would be the best place to ppwer it on and observe that it sets up correctly. Also the last place i close and lock before heading out. And it is easy to follow the blackwater vent straight down to the basement to run the power and the coax.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I put mine above the W/D in the closet, I had power, and the feed-through was above in my 3400 RL. I built a shelf and mounted it there.
I'll see if I can find pictures.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here is the link to the install:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink
Old 04-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Good install pics. I checked your blog site see if you had any pics from an install. Where did you pick up your ac power from, the dryer plug? My converter is in the overhead above the washer and dryer, near the door. That would be a good place also, but my plug is located near the door, but it is doable. Long enough lead from the plug in to put it on the shelf inside the closet.
Did you mount your dish midship? Between the smartvent and the black tank vent? Did you use the supplemental aluminum plate, and did you get the roller plate?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Jim,
I think I had more pictures, I will look. I installed a 220 dryer, so I had a spare circuit, but used that for a 15 amp heater I got from W.W. Graingers. I ran another circuit from the power box to the basement for outlets there, I tapped into that for power. You could easily run the Wineguard from the washer or dryer circuit as the unit would draw minute power when in use, and when powering up or down, there would be no draw from the washer or dryer, as you would be making, or breaking camp. Yes on the mid-ship mount, I used a 4x4 box cover for the roller. I will get the pictures.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here are pictures of the dish and the install:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/RearRVRTAntenna?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCO6ExfTjq L6uswE&feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/SatDishPics?authuser=0&feat=directlink
Old 04-18-2012, 04:59 AM   #9
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Looks like i have some pieces missing, according to your pics. Missing the feline.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Devildog

Looks like i have some pieces missing, according to your pics. Missing the feline.
Well, your system will lack a bit of stealth, but none of the recordings will be 'catty'...