Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
scott
Established Member

M.O.C. #10200
How Do You Short Term Store Your Monty?

We’ll be visiting family in Juneau, Alaska this summer, and as you all know there are no highways in or out of Juneau. So I either have to pay to put the Monty on the ferry, or leave it in Seattle. After pricing out the ferry rate, we’ll probably fly from Seattle to Juneau and leave the Monty in Seattle for the week or so we’ll be gone.

My question for all you experience people is, when you have to do something similar do you leave the Monty in an RV park or put it in storage (at a lower monthly rate) for the time you’re gone? Also, is it typically safer to leave the Monty in a storage lot or unattended in RV park for a week?

Any recommendations appreciated,
Scott

scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Leaving an RV unattended in a strange place is risky. However, I would look for an RV park that has storage available if leaving it for more than a week.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
if you are unsure of a place then try a dealer .they might let you store it there .where there is someone around during the day and fenced in at night.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We have family in Juneau, too. Storage at a dealer or a campground are the best bets. However, if you use the ferry and leave your rig behind, I have seen a couple RVs in the Ferry parking lot but I think I would prefer a more secure area.

We have visited family in Juneau by plane, ferry, cruise ship and even driven around to Skagway or Haines and then ferried down from there but never taking or stowing the Monty. I can't speak for leaving the rig at the airport or cruise ship terminal. I would probably be inclined to seek a longer term storage solution. It should be way less expensive than ferrying the RV.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
That ferry ride is one expensive ticket! I agree with the rest here, store the Monty in Seattle. We have stayed at Lake Pleasant RV Park (http://www.woodalls.com/a/01660_lakepleasant.html) just north of Seattle several times. This is our favorite Seattle RV park. They have a storage area where I have seen RVs parked for what appears to be short-term storage. I don't know for sure what they offer officially. I would give them a call and see what they have to say. They may be amenable particularly if you were to stay in the park before and after your trip.

I suspect there are other places near Seattle to store your rig, I just don't know what they are.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Above have commented on leaving in unknown areas. My thoughts went more with preparing Monty for storage in cold weather. The time it takes to blow out the water line to the time to blow out water lines and add RV anti freeze is about a half hour longer.

One area to remember is to remove all grocery items that have liquid in them. I went to monty today and found the remains of a "Coke Can Ice bomb". One can blew the top off and ice crystals all over the place. I knew better but forgot.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
John, I think they are doing this in the coming Summer, but good tips!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Darn Ozz, was I suppose to read the FINE print. You are right and I see it now. But this thought was very fresh in my mind, like today.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I understand! It is really hard to think warm today...Brrrr.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
scott
Established Member

M.O.C. #10200
Thanks for all the inputs, I hadn’t thought of either an RV park or dealer that has storage available. And thanks Carl (n Susan) for the specific recommendation on a park; I’ll give them a call when we get a little closer to that time of year. And sorry about asking such a question when all we can think about is winter right now, but you can see where my head is at. I may not be in my Monty right now, but I can’t wait till next summer when I will be.

Thanks again all, ain’t this forum great!
Scott
scott is offline   Reply With Quote