Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Winter Travel (should we?)

Hello...we currently reside in So. Cal and not used to winter travel. Husband may have a job opportunity (we are hoping) in Eastern Washington state (Moses Lake). The plan is for him to live in the Monty and get settled while I await retirement and can join him.

The problem is the winter road conditions on the way up. We would take I-5 through Calif, Oregon and Washington then I-90 out of Seattle east to Moses Lake. Current conditions on I-5 No Cal and I-90 along WA Snoqualmie pass currently require chains or traction tires.

I am hoping things will clear, but wondering if he should set up in an apartment until we can both bring the Monty up which would be a last resort due to supporting 2 households. Am I freaking out over nothing? Are these conditions extreme and will clear up enough to get through safely? Have any of you traveled these interstates this time of year?

We can put traction tires on the Dodge, but what should we do for the TT? We also have chains for the truck, but don't think they can be used with the TT. Are there chains for truck and trailer? What would you do?

I realize he has not got the job yet, but we want to remain positive and have all our ducks in a row in anticipation of good news! It has been over 18 months since he was laid off.

People on this forum have always been so helpful and very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for any advice provided.

Sue

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We came down I-5 from Alberta, Canada to Las Vegas through some pretty drastic road conditions, ice, snow, wind and some dry roads just 7 days ago.
You may be able to hold the road, but it is the other guy that may make that spin around in front of you or try and pass and hit heavy snow thus pulling him into you. We are very conditioned to driving in snow and ice but I don't recommend anyone to pull a large 5th wheel through the conditions we experienced.
Rent that appartment unit the roads are are dry and claer! Also those Montys take a lot of propane when temps are low! IMHO
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I would certainly get an apartment, the weather and temp(check Moses Lake for winter temps)the road conditions this time of year and I feel that this is not the best route due to road conditions this time of year, snow closures. You have a recreational vehicle that is not set up for cold temps. Just the cost of propane would scare me. I am sure there are others who can tell you what they had to do to make it livable in winter. I live in the PNW and spent a year in Wenatchee and it does get cold in that part of the country. I am trying to go South next week and am looking at four different routes due to road conditions. Good luck on the job and decisions
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
If he turns off I5 at Portland and follows the Columbia river (I84) he can miss Snowqualmie pass which is sure to have snow this year. It is a 4 lane hiway from Pasco Washington to Ritzville. Then it is not far to Moses Lake on I90. check it out on a map.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Personally I would cut off off I-5 onto Hwy-97 at Weed, CA, take it to Hwy-84 at Rufus and then take Hwy-82/Hwy-395 to the Moses Lake area. If you watch the weather, it should be passable without chains. You just can't be in a hurry. If you can accept a few days delay, this is the most direct route with the fewest mountains.

Then again, from Southern California there is the option of taking Hwy-395 all the way through Nevada, Oregon and Washington to Moses Lake. I haven't driven all of it, so I can't comment on the altitude changes along the way. The one positive thing is you wouldn't have to endure I-5.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote