Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Superchips

I have heard both positive and neg things about installing Superchips programmer to your tow veichle. I have F250 PSD, CC, SRW, Short Bed 4x4 with auotmatic R400 transmission. One guy told me it works great for towing, another guy told me it made his transmsission fail and Ford would not warranty it because of the chip installed. I have ordered a 3685FL that is quite heavy and thought about installing Superchip on my truck to help HP and Torque anyone else have any thoughts on such devices.

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:26 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
The superchips programer that I have loads a program into Fords chip. So no need to change the chip. When you take the truck into service make sure that you load Fords program back into the chip. This is true because even if not under warranty Ford may automatically flash the chip without telling you. That means you won't be able to use the programmer since it is VIN locked. The programmer VIN locks when when it loads the program and unlocks when you re-install Ford's program. This means you can only load the program into 1 truck at a time.

The programmer can read about 250 diagnostic codes if you have a problem.

It does change transmission shifting so Ford has a right to void the warranty if they want to.

You should install a Pyrometer with aftermarket chip or chip program because it adjust fuel going to the injectors which means your EGT will rise. So Ford may void your Engine Warranty.

With all that said I like the performance of my towsafe program. Shifting is definately better and milage increased by at least 1mpg. So I will keep mine. It does provide 40 more hp for a 97.

If I had a new truck I would not install it until the warranty period
was over.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
Thats great info lightingjack11. I too have been considering for my truck and am glad to hear the towing program really works. On the new chip for the Hemi, there is also a program allowing you to run on 87 octane fuel. I run 89 octane now cause the engine runs too rough on the lower grade fuel.
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:47 PM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I like the diagnostic codes more that anything. Be careful getting too hot of a program. Hotter programs may require changing your exhaust piping. Don't forget the pyrometer. It is necessary for any chip upgrade or you could burn you engine in short order. It can melt the internals.

Superchips company is located in Sanford Florida. Phone 888-car-chip.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:23 PM   #5
Montana_1691

M.O.C. #1691
Before adding any tuner or chip, you MUST install a pyrometer(pre-turbo) and a trans temp guage. You will then need new air intake and either 4" exhaust with downpipe or take out the stock muffler at a minimum. Diesels must breathe to perform. Keep trans temp below 220 and EGT 1250 and you'll be fine. Knowing your temp limits are critical in order to back off the throttle. Banks transcommand is an excellent addition that's cheap as is Royal Purple ATF. BEWARE of adding performance mods...... They're extremely addicting, AND worth every penny of it.
Montana_1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 06:13 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Good info. You just have to be very careful when you alter Fords program. Don't cry to Ford if things don't work out. The towsafe program doesn't give much more HP to a 97(Only 40). It give a 60 HP increase with later models. The shifting really is a lot better.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:22 PM   #7
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
It sounds like you guys are referring to diesel engines. Do you have to do the same for gassers? I ordered the new superchip for the Hemi and was planning to try the new towing program in a week or so. If you think I need all these changes for the gasser I'll have to wait a bit.
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:16 PM   #8
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Don't know about gassers. Better ask the mfgr.