Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #21
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
One quick check to see if the 08 or newer 6.4s are tuned is look at the tailpipe. If it is one common chrome pipe in place of the factory heat diffuser pipe the truck has been tuned to eliminate the dpf.
Travelled 8000 miles in the last three months, Canada to Arizona and back and there are a great majority of these trucks modified on the highways. We have 16,000 miles on our 09 and it has not been back to the Dealer for any concerns (knock on wood) since purchase in Nov 08 and tunned since new. I know that warranty is not an issue with any of our trucks because our Dealer supports and represents us 100%.
For the Chevy guys!! On interstate 15 yesterday a fellow passed us at about 70 miles per hour going north in a terrible head on cross wind; he had a new duramax dually pulling a 35 foot SOB plus a 4 wheel drive jeep in tow behind the 5th wheel. I know this truck was chipped for tremendous horsepower required at that speed and wind conditions but he seemed to have no problems with that extarordinary tow load; quite a interesting combination to see!
Anyway sorry for the off topic! This is an ideal subject for the Diesel Forum Site.

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #22
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Diesel has been used as a cleaner for some materials over time -- although oil based, it is missing some essential lubricating properties! With the newer engines adding fuel to the exhaust stroke, that fuel that doesn't go out the valve and into the exhaust manifold ends up 'cleaning, the cylinder walls of lubricating oil; then on the next intake stroke, there is nothing protecting the walls from the rings. I tried to find it just now, and couldn't, but I remember reading where Cummins has reduced the expected overhaul period from 250K miles to 150K miles pending real life usage stats on the 6.7Ls. In my mind, that tells something about the unknown wear that this regeneration process is having.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Skypilot
Good info. This is something I wonted to know but had not been able to find out. I think the Chevys do not have this problem. They inject the fuel in the exhaust pipe. Their engines should last as long as ever. As for Ford and Dodge there is no way they could not be affected. After the warranty period sorry but you are on your own. I chose to fix the problem, and let the chips fall where they may.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote