Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
kmaker

M.O.C. #7635
Slip Plate

Just cleaned way tubes and cam arm per Pullrits instructions, applied two coats of slip plate now hitch harder to move and slip plate peels off like paint when I slide hitch by hand,when I used lithium lubricant hitch moved easy.
Thank Kmaker

kmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
As you are aware there is a drying time/process between the two coats of Slipplate.

Secondly, I'm not sure that the cam should move along the way tubes in a slippery type fashion as you maybe suggesting compared to white lithium application. My cam does not move quickly.

The slipplate application can look shiny/worn on the top and side of the waytubes after application but does not suggest it is really worn.

IMHO.Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
kmaker

M.O.C. #7635
Thanks for the information yes I did let it dry between coats and waited about 4 hours before putting hitch together.
Thanks Again
Old 07-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I have been using Slip Plate on my Pullrite hitch for 2 camping seasons now and have not had a problem with it peeling off. You stated that you prepared the waytubes so that is probably not your issue but getting them grease free is probably the most important part of the job. I took them off and sprayed brake cleaner on them until I was sure all of the old lithium grease was off. I hope your luck improves because you will find it much easier to maintain the Slip Plate then it is to maintain the grease.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mine came from the dealer with slip plate. I later stripped it off and went to white lithium grease because I thought the shiny I was seeing after the hitched moved down the rails was a bad thing.

Later I learned it is still lubed (tested by running a finger on the shiny) and is fine. When I got tired of dealing with the grease and the dirt it collects despite the cover, I stripped it off, per pullrite instructions, and went back to slip plate. When I get the chance I then touch up the rails by spraying more slip plate over the shiny part.

Mine does not move hard at all. I don't feel any difference from the way it moved with grease.

Are you positive when you put it back together that the plate at the front, between the tubes, are correctly into the slots in the tubes? And that the bolt on that block is correctly adjusted? I did not have to readjust that but that will make it harder to get the saddle started moving down the tubes if that's too tight. It kinda sounds like an alignment problem, just based on your description.

Since you had the instructions for removing the grease, I assume you removed the grease from the underside of the piece that runs on the rails? Sorry I am drawing blanks on the names of all these parts.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:12 AM   #6
kmaker

M.O.C. #7635
Thanks again,kept moving hitch,working find,I quess I put too much on the directions said two coats but seems to be ok now,
THANKS AGAIN
Old 07-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Harold, I suspect your experience is pretty common. It was the same for me. I put it on pretty heavy and it seemed to peel off but the metal was still slick from the lubricant. I just shoot more on those shiny spots after unhitching. So far, so good.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote