Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #21
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Rich, what tires are you running on your montana? Make and model please, since i might have to switch out mine.

Randy

Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #22
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Bill - First -- welcome to the forum.

This tire issue is long standing and, like any other problem, you are hearing of the problems quite a few have had. There are others who have had no problem at all with their tires and, for the most part, they just sit on the side, copying the mail as they say. (There are several who, as you will see, have reported their good fortunes as well but like the old cliche that goes along the lines of "when you get good service, you might tell one or two, when you receive bad service you tell 10 to 20 people." The difference is here (the Internet) you can now tell 10 to 20 thousand !! ))

Now that said, there are some tires that have had a history of problems with Montana as well as several other brands of trailers. The Mission tires are probably the most notable of late here on the Montana forum. Goodyear had a significant problem with their Marathons a while back and that seems to have been resolved, although we are now seeing more posts concerning the Goodyear Marathons. FreeStar is another brand that is coming out now and we are starting to see some issues with them as well, again, not a large number but enough to notice that the number of posts is increasing.

Glenn and LonnieB, both excellent sources of information concerning tires, have repeated said (and I'm paraphrasing this from my memory so apologies if I mis-state anything) - there are problems with any make of tire and tire company. The biggest thing is to make sure your trailer is not over loaded, that your tires are properly aired up each morning, and that you keep an eye on them to ensure they are not wearing abnormally (which could indicate an alignment or overweight condition on a particular wheel/axle assembly). Oh, and replace the rubber valve stems that come original equipment with a good quality all metal valve stem on all wheels.

Many others have recommended, as do I, that you invest in a tire pressure alert system -- there are several makes on the market and the Montana forum has several threads discussing these. We even have a couple of members who are dealers for them and service after the sale is excellent.

Lastly, keep an eye on the tires. (I said that before, didn't I?) As I mentioned, there are many members who have traveled thousands, 10s of thousands, of tire incident free miles.

Keep us posted as you get your new trailer and begin the new adventures. Best wishes.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #23
billklem
Established Member

M.O.C. #9390
Thank you Skypilot.

Nice to meet you.

My wife and I are retired. We went full time last year in our tow behind. We have been looking at a 5er for the whole year.

Monday we went to a show in town and seen this Big Sky we like so we put a down payment on it and we now are waiting for them to prep it.

I don't know much about hitches they said that they will put a Reese hitch on my truck. I think that is a good hitch,

We are getting a 340LQ, Do you think a 16 k hitch will be good or do you think we should get a bigger one?

thanks

Bill

billklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #24
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by billklem

Thank you Skypilot.

Nice to meet you.

My wife and I are retired. We went full time last year in our tow behind. We have been looking at a 5er for the whole year.

Monday we went to a show in town and seen this Big Sky we like so we put a down payment on it and we now are waiting for them to prep it.

I don't know much about hitches they said that they will put a Reese hitch on my truck. I think that is a good hitch,

We are getting a 340LQ, Do you think a 16 k hitch will be good or do you think we should get a bigger one?

thanks

Bill

Welcome, I tow the 3400RL Montana GVWR 15500, I felt better with the the Reese 18k hitch. I would think your Big Sky will be at least 15-16K GVWR if not more. I am not sure without looking on Montana's web site. I think a 18K hitch would be the better choice. It gives you more of a safety margin.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #25
billklem
Established Member

M.O.C. #9390
Thank you, I will check there web
billklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #26
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Welcome billklem. Our Montana maximum weight from the Montana website is 14,310lbs with a 2310lbs hitch weight. We have a Reese 15k pro series hitch. It creeks and moans leaving an unsafe feeling with us. Plus it makes you think your spine is attached to a concrete tamper bounceing up and down on concrete highways.
I am saving up for an Trail Saver air ride hitch.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #27
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
For weights, if you cannot actually weigh the rig...use the GVWR for max weight...most of us are close to that anyway. For pin weight, use 20% of the GVWR. Montana always leans toward light PWs in their literature, trying to get us to think a smaller truck will work.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:30 AM   #28
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Bill: From reading this and your other post - sounds like you got your Big Sky and are living it daily. I hope you find it to be everything you expect and need and have no problems with it. If you have any questions be sure and ask here on the forum -- There is never a dumb question asked!! (Sometimes someone might give a less than stellar answer but once you get to know the group you will understand the personalities and ribbing / kidding behind them.)

Again, welcome and best wishes to you and yours.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote