Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2005, 01:52 AM   #1
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Laminate flooring

Just a heads up. If you ever decide to put laminate flooring in the living room and have a slide out there. There are 4-5 large counter sunk screws on the bottom of the slide room. They hold the walls to the floor in this area. Make sure they are straight and counter sunk. When we pulled our slides in they gouged the floor so I had to redo a few pieces. Also went to JOAnn fabrics and got a 2'x3'pad the girls use to cut fabric on. I cut this in half and lay it on the floor when bringing in the room. So far so good.

jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:03 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Interesting. I am in the middle of putting a laminate floor in our stick house bedroom. Got me thinking about putting it in the trailer, and how it would affect the slide operation. Keep us posted please. The pads you refer to are those plastic cutting mats that are used with rotary cutters?. (My quilt-making wife has lots of those!)

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:07 AM   #3
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
OntMont,
Yes they are a real tuff durable plastic rubber material.
The slide operates fine because it still below the white plastic glide. I should have known the screws where there because our carpet was wearing in that area.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:03 AM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the update. Merry Christmas
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:35 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We put a laminate floor in our coach a whle back. We like it as it makes the coach look brighter and is easy to maintain. Here's a link to pictures of the installation.

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...4/lam_flr.html
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Lamar and Debbie,
I really like what you have done to your coach. I just sit in amazement on what a job you have done on your upgrades. Thank you for sharing the pictures with the rest of us.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:27 AM   #7
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Montana Sky,

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. We have made changes that make the coach meet our needs. I think these changes have saved us a lot of $$. When we go look at new coaches Debbie always says she's happy with the way we've done ours and doesn't want to upgrade to a new unit. Anyway, my labor is pretty cheap, so I guess we'll just keep putting sweat equity into this coach.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:37 AM   #8
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fulltimedreamer
...I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures.
I hadn't looked at your updates site for a while. You've sure been busy. Thanks for posting it. Some great ideas and tips.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:20 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
fulltimedreamer, very nice job, a question to ask because I think I want to do the same on our floor. after you removed the old floor covering and started to install the new, how come you did not use the under layment foam when you did the new install? And being much thicker that the prevous floor does it cause the slide overlay rug to lift up when open, or does it lay flat as before.

Thanks Don
Old 12-01-2005, 09:36 AM   #10
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Fulltimedreamer, not to get away from the great floors, I was at you site looking at the power dump pump you made. how does this work if you leave the gray open, when I am parked for some time,will it drain ok, and then hookup the water to dump the black?
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:53 PM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Lamar & Debbie
Do you have any indications what the new floor did to the weight of your trailer?
Nice job.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #12
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Bob and Lee: We were campground hosts last summer and we used the pump there. The sewer connection was on the wrong side and away from the RV. I was glad we had the pump with us. I picked up another 25' of sump drain and connected to the sewer. We had a gravity flow and left the gray tank opened as we were doing laundry most days. It worked great. I only used the water connection on the pump when dumping the black and galley tanks.

H_John Kohl: I'm sure it added a small amount of weight, but the carpet, pad and linoleum we removed was pretty heavy too. At the same time I removed the built-in dinnette and replaced with a free standing dinnette and chairs. We also took out a recliner and a built-in end table. Overall, I think it was a wash and wouldn't be surprised if we actually reduced our weight a bit.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:46 AM   #13
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Lamar & Debbie sounds like a really great way to operate, I'm going to follow your bluepring and build one. It sure saves the hoses in the winter from freezing and breaking Thanks for the info of all the testing you did

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:29 AM   #14
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
The laminate floors look great and thanks for the heads up because eventually we are planning on doing the same thing....Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:41 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Wow, Lamar! What a great job documenting w/ pics on your website! I have bookmarked your "projects" (http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...vprojects.html) link in my MOC folder. Really like the Autoformer link.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:27 PM   #16
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Dave,

I highly recommend the autoformer. We would find low voltages in many parks. Electric motors/compressors don't like low voltages. Now I don't have to worry about the voltage and the breakers aren't constantly tripping because of over current conditions.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:46 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Lamar! Before I became a MOC member, I did not know what an Autoformer was. Now it will be a done deal in my bids I will be sending out. Thanks!

*On Edit ~ Spell check (again).
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote