Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2005, 02:01 PM   #1
pchaas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #634
Brake sticking

I am having a problem with one wheel brake sticking. It works OK but once in a while it howls like its out of pad. It doesn't appear to be but I am wondering if I should just change them all. What I don't understand is why only one would stick.

pchaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
You didn't say how many miles you have on the Monty. Before I had a brake job done, I would check the shoes for wear. Maybe its just brake dust. It could also be that one wheel is adjusted a little tighter than the others. Maybe all you need is a brake adjustment. Its a simple job. You should check your adjustment every season.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:20 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
At about 20,000 miles our linings were about half worn.

I found that if the lugnuts are torqued too high the brakes set up a heinous squalling that would wake the dead. Backed them off to what they are supposed to be (using a torque wrench) and no problem since.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Steve,
That is wierd. Did you figure out why? I am always worried about mysteries...
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pchaas

I am having a problem with one wheel brake sticking. It works OK but once in a while it howls like its out of pad. It doesn't appear to be but I am wondering if I should just change them all. What I don't understand is why only one would stick.
I have a PDF file I can send you on brakes quite complete, but you dont have a E-mail address on your profile,
If interrested send me a PM or my e-mail is there also.

TT2
Old 11-25-2005, 10:01 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, I don't know for sure but do know overtorqued lugnuts can warp the drum. I assume that's why. The squalling was when applying brakes. It was rather loud and embarrasing when in a CG pulling up to a site and all the neighbors are sitting there. Not a problem at all since properly torquing the lugnuts.

Paul, if the brake is sticking it could also be the magnet is worn enough to not allow the shoe to properly retract from the drum after brake application.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:36 PM   #7
pchaas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #634
I want to thank you all for your suggestions. Sorry I haven't replied sooner but we still live in a house and my wife has me decorating for Christmas. HaHa Steve, I don't think the torque is a problem but it could very well be the magnet.
pchaas is offline   Reply With Quote