Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2006, 02:31 AM   #1
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
Greasel (WVO) Experiences?

We are considering converting our 2005 Dodge 2500 diesel to run on greasel (waste vegetable oil) and are wondering if anyone has experiences to share, good or bad, before we make the plunge.

We are pulling a 3475 Monty and would also like to know how average mileage might compare to straight diesel.

Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:55 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If I may ask, what is involved in making the conversion? Would you mind sharing approximate cost of the conversion? Thanks.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
[quote]Originally posted by sreigle

If I may ask, what is involved in making the conversion? Would you mind sharing approximate cost of the conversion? Thanks

Approximate cost for an 80 gal. dual tank that includes all the needed heating and filtering for our Dodge is $2,300. If I have it installed, that adds about $1,500 and requires 2 full days of shop time.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I think you can forget about your warranty then, look in your owners manual about bio diesel, think it says 10% maximum.

04 Silver Dodge Laramie QC 3500 DRW, HO Diesel, 2wd, 6spd, LB, 4.10, Sport pkg, Bun warmers, Jake.

2004 Big Sky 3670RL, Fireplace, Sat Dish/Dig Readout, Cent Vac, Big Sky & Value Pkg, 2 Fantastic Fans, Basement Tray, Safety Glass, 2 Batts, Pressure Pro
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I appreciate the quick reply, Sandymom. Thank you.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
We have a few taxi cabs around here running on cooking oil and diesel mixed 50/50.
they strain the cooking oil 4 or 5 times before using.
and oh yea...... watch out for all the teenagers chasing the smell of french fries coming out of your exhaust pipe.

J&D

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/big2_both_cond/language/www/global/stations/71892.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Vancouver, British Columbia Forecast" height=60 width=468[/img]

[IMG]John & Dawn

Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
2006 2980RL &
2005 F350 Lariet, Crewcab
Shortbox Powerstroke 4X4
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
You know of course if this cooking oil fuel thingy takes off Exxon/Mobil will buy up the rights to all used cooking oils from MickyD, BK, Wendy's, and KFC. They will also buy up the rights to Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts used coffee filters. Than they run the used oil through those used coffee filters and sell it for 100 bucks a barrel.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:50 AM   #8
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
My question is, why? I'm not being a sma&+@$$, here, but how much pump diesel (that won't negate your warranty, BTW), can you buy for the cost of that conversion? Even if you make the stuff yourself, it seems like a royal PITA, and that's dependent on your having a steady supply of used cooking oil to use. I don't get it.

"Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes."
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:17 AM   #9
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
Simple math, I would think. $3,900/3.00(diesel per gal) gives a breakeven of around 1,300 gallons. At 10 miles/gal pulling the rig, that yields 13,000 miles for breakeven - everything above that is money in your pocket. Yeah, it might be a bit of a hassle for some folks, but the bottom line is whether or not the economics are worth it in the long run and what, if any, effect there might be on any remaining warranty issues.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #10
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Again, please don't misunderstand, but this fascinates me. Say you're on a trip somewhere and need fuel. Do you just pop in to a McDonald's and fill'er up? What if they don't have any oil to sell you? Can you still use regular diesel?
Thanks

Old 08-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #11
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
The conversion is not really a conversion in the strict sense-it is merely an addition to your existing fuel system. The regular diesel tank is still useable for the petroleum based product and is generally used to start/stop the engine so that WVO is purged from the lines. While you could stop at any quick food place, their oil is usually not the best quality. From what I've gathered so far in my research, oriental and higher end restaurants have the better used oil that doesn't contain as much water or other contaminants like salt, sugar, etc.

Since all restaurants usually have to pay to have spent oil hauled away, they probably are more than happy to have someone remove it for free and won't charge you anything! Good for both parties.....
Old 08-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #12
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
OK, that clears that up. Thanks. I'll bet, though, as soon as this catches on they will be selling the waste oil, or the oil companies will call their buddies in Congress and require a hazmat disposal license to dispose of the stuff.

At any rate, best of luck, and let us know how it works out.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:42 AM   #13
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Trucks (show on Spike TV) had a show (several repeats as well) showing a device that takes used veggie oil from McD's,etc.; mix in some common chemicals (soap (lye), and something else easily obtained) and then let the thing mix for a couple of hours. Result, 90 % of volume is bio-diesel; 10% is a soap product - all biodegradable and usable. Ran an pre-3rd Gen Dodge Ram on it and other than the smell of french fries, claimed as good, if not better performance. American Converters or something like that was the company that had it.

In any case, the reason I bring this up is that, right after that I had reason to go to McD's and while there asked about getting their used oil. Was told that they have a contract with a company to pickup their oil at least 3 times a week. I then checked with Wendy's and got the same reply. So, bottom line: free may not be available.

Ceara and Mia Osa

06 Dodge 3500 DRW; 06 Cedar Creek
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:20 AM   #14
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
My brother has 4 restaurants in Florida that all use vegetable oil. They are in the process of converting several of their business trucks so they can use their own grease. They have to make fresh crab runs every day so their full bills are pretty high. He isn't putting the fuel into his new truck as he was told it would void his warranty.

He bought two used trucks to run it on so we shalll see. I happened to bring this idea up when I visited him. I got a free meal, but no cash out of the idea.

Most restaurants will have a contract with a company to come pick up their oil. They might not be taking it to filter and reuse but rather the make their money just picking it up. Since this is becoming a bigger thing they might be selling it to a company that will refine the oil.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote