Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
Cal
Established Member

M.O.C. #10221
slide outs

we just purchased a montana high country 2013 and the living / dining area slide out is very jerky when sliding out.
The dealer says this normal---is this right?

Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
NO!
Old 09-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Yes this is a HC not a Montana the slides work different. The slides on your HC work off of cables that you can see when the slides are out on outside on the unit. The large slide will be a bit jumpy when it is moved either in or out.
Lynwood
What I think is happening is the slide is big and heavy with the frame that moves the slide attached to the wall and when the slide begins to move it pulls the wall until the slide actually moves then the wall jumps back a little bit and the process starts again until the slide is in position. We feel this is a jearky motion.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
BCHC

M.O.C. #14613
Cal, we own a 2013 325RL High Country with 3 slides. The bedroom slide rides on rollers at the bottom, so this "jerking" does NOT affect it at all.
The Main and Kitchen slides are designed differently however, as there are no rollers but just a "glide bar" on the floor beneath the slides.
Our slides began "jerking" about 10 months after our purchase, but while still under warranty......
We took the 5er to the dealer to have the slides checked out to ensure that the cable system was correctly adjusted. The "jerking" is not related to the cable system but according to the dealer, only to the "glide bar".
After a good couple of days of testing and 3 way telephone conversations between the dealer, Keystone and Norco Industries, the cause was explained as the material on the bottom of the slide and the glide bar sticking.
The "FIX" according to the slide manufacturer Norco Industries was to have the dealer clean the bottom of the slide with alcohol and then apply an VERY SPECIFC industrial lubrication spray to the bottom of the slide. The lubrication is "ZEP 45" but must be the "Chlorinated" variety.
In our case, the dealer performed the requisite cleaning and applied the Zep 45 to both slides. The slides were moved in and out completely a number of times following the application of the lubrication. During the application process the "jerking" did NOT resolve.
Our unit was left to sit overnight and the next morning, the main slide was greatly improved while the kitchen slide was only very slightly improved
Further discussion with the dealer resulted in another heavier application of Zep 45 on the kitchen slide only. The slide was worked in and out a few times with some immediately noticeable improvement. Again, the unit was left overnight and operation the next day was substantially improved, but not eliminated.
After two more days, both slides generated a very loud "pop" and now the slides both operate smoothly!
We have contacted Keystone Owners Representative regarding this issue and although Keystone views the issue as a Norco Industries issue as they supply the slide room and mechanisms, Keystone stated that they would attempt to engage with Norco Industries to determine if a better long term solution can be found.
We suggest that you contact your dealer and especially Keystone regarding this issue to ensure that it stays in their queue.
Personally, I believe that the use of the Zep 45 lubricant is a workable solution as part of annual maintenance, with the caveat that a more permanent solution be investigated. Currently, the correct type of Zep 45 can only be purchased by authorized service departments as it is a "scheduled" chemical.
We hope that this information is of assistance to you and that you achieve acceptable improvement with your slides.
BCHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
According to what BCHC was told by Keystone that the slide issue is Norco's is a bunch of "bull crap"in my opinion. A customer in good faith buys a trailer from Keystone and a customer does not contract a supplier like Norco to provide slide mechanisms, but Keystone does. My opinion is that Keystone provides a warranty, so they must step up and do whatever it takes to fix the problem. I would insist on a permanent fix to the problem and not a temporary fix that will require more repair in the future that the customer has to pay for because the warranty has expired. Sorry, I don't mean to "stir the pot", but this type of vendor service p----- me off.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Does not sound from the thread that Keystone washed their hands of this issue. There was a three way call between Keystone, the dealer, and the manufacturer and a plan was developed that was partially successful. Re the long term solution, agree 100% Keystone should stand up and take responsibility, and force the Manufacturer for a permanent solution or change vendors for the HC. BAL is supporting the Montana line for cable slides, at least 2015 for sure. Keystone must take responsibility for subcontractors/vendors used in their production lines.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think this depends on what you call a problem to me the slide on my unit works as designed. It goes in and out the way it should, with a little chatter but it works. That Is not a problem for me. I don't think you can fix the chatter the horse has left the barn.
Lynwood
Old 09-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
BCHC

M.O.C. #14613
Folks.....just to clarify.....

The 3 way conversation with our dealer, Keystone and Norco Industries only took place less than 3 weeks ago. Keystone Owner Relations did state about a week and a half ago, that they would engage with Keystone manufacturing, Norco and our dealer.

Our unit's slides were "jerking" significantly (more than 1" up/down), bouncing the entire unit and especially the double door refrigerator in the slide.

Norc Industries seemed very confident that the application of the Zep 45 (again this is not something that is readily available to the consumer)would definitely fix the issue. As the operation of the slides took a few days to return to "like new" experience, it would appear, at least at first glance that there is some sort of chemical reaction and curing taking place.

I am currently waiting patiently for all parties concerned to absorb and digest the latest results of the process in the short term, and some sort of action plan moving forward toward a long term solution.

My fear is that not enough of these types of issues are being fully reported to dealers, Keystone and more importantly Norco Industries. If there are only 2 cases out of all units built, then the problem will be addressed accordingly, whereas if there are 2000 cases, the priority in developing a solution would take on a bit more importance.

Should any additional information become available, it should certainly be shared here.
BCHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:38 AM   #9
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
I have a 2012 High Country 343RL and my slides are not jerky and never have been. Proper adjustment and lubrication are the answer to correct operation. Find a dealer that can do the proper maint. I have done the lubrication thing on my slides one time, not because of inproper operation but as a maint. thing just like annual packing of wheel bearings etc. My selling dealer was able to supply me a copy of the Mfg's maint. and operation guidelines on the cable operated slides.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What type of lube are you using?
Lynwood
Old 09-15-2014, 03:00 AM   #11
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
On our Big Sky 3700, the living area slides are hydraulic while the large bedroom slide is cable. The cable operation is not as smooth as the hydraulic, but nowhere as rough as described here. One caution with cable operated slides is to not over extend or over retract. We learned the hard way when one of the pulley brackets pulled out of the wall and jammed the slide. Regularly inspect your pulley brackets and regularly inspect your cables and make sure that the fittings where you adjust tension don't catch each other as they pass. At least with our rig, a popping sound means we have gone too far.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:33 AM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Good to know.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote