Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
enjpowell

M.O.C. #18128
Water Pressure

Recently we have experienced a significant decrease in our water pressure when connected to city water. At first I thought it must be specific to the park, but after spending time in 3 other parks, the problem continues. I've replaced the check valve at the city water inlet, the water filter, pressure regulated and hose. All to no avail. Pressure is fine when drawing water from the fresh water tank via the internal pump. Anybody know what may be causing this problem? Thanks.

enjpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You might want to get into the area behind the convenience center, if your rig has one, and check to see if one of the PEX lines hasn't folded causing a restriction in water flow. This is a photo of our plumbing area, and it's so congested that a line could easily bend if it had a curve in a run. Also, I've attached a single line drawing I made some years ago of the plumbing behind our convenience center. I'm also wondering if your pressure regulator has failed. Do you have a pressure gauge on the hose connection in the convenience center, so you can see the incoming pressure?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	convenience center plumbing.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	2769   Click image for larger version

Name:	convenience center plumbing schematic.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	2770  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:39 PM   #3
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Inspect the "check valve" at the 12V pump?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If the water pump check valve was bad, he would be pushing water backwards into the fresh tank which would fill to overflowing from the vent. This would not cause low pressure inside the trailer from a city water connection.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you've checked it without the pressure regulator on it here's one more far out thing it could be: years ago I used to put the regulator on the end of the hose where you hooked up and found that, at COE campgrounds, that interfered with the backflow preventer they used and would cut the flow.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If you've checked it without the pressure regulator on it here's one more far out thing it could be: years ago I used to put the regulator on the end of the hose where you hooked up and found that, at COE campgrounds, that interfered with the backflow preventer they used and would cut the flow.

I had noticed the same thing when I still used the cheap pressure regulators that are mostly just flow restrictors. I was noticing that the cone shaped screen installed in the inlet side of the regulators always seemed to have the screen dimpled inward. Then I discovered that those backflow preventers have a part that protrudes from the device that was causing the damage to the screens, and was also cutting water flow. There are many municipalities that require these devices on the hose bibs at RV parks.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
enjpowell

M.O.C. #18128
Thanks. I have looked at the plumbing in the convenience center but didn't see anything that raised any concern. I will take another look now that I have an idea what to look for. As far as the pressure regulator, Yes I do have one equipped with a gauge. However it does not read exact pressure, simply low, medium and high. It consistently reads right at the low/med boarder.
enjpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #8
Kicknbak

M.O.C. #21104
Foreign particles

Strange as it seems we recently had the same problem. After running in circles with trouble shooting, I finally disconnected the input line and used the air to blow back all faucets, shower, toilet rinse hose, etc. While it didn't fix, it did change. It finally broke loose after several tries. I came to the conclusion that after installing a new e external water filter that some particles of charcoal large enough to jamb up the internal lines had somehow gotten thru the filter. No problems since. Care on your air pressure needed. I only used 25 lbs. Best wishes.
Kicknbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicknbak View Post
Strange as it seems we recently had the same problem. After running in circles with trouble shooting, I finally disconnected the input line and used the air to blow back all faucets, shower, toilet rinse hose, etc. While it didn't fix, it did change. It finally broke loose after several tries. I came to the conclusion that after installing a new e external water filter that some particles of charcoal large enough to jamb up the internal lines had somehow gotten thru the filter. No problems since. Care on your air pressure needed. I only used 25 lbs. Best wishes.
Yep, charcoal filters should always be "flushed" for a couple minutes before connecting to the camper.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote