Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Verizon aircard reception in cities

Have any of you folks who use a Verizon aircard noticed that in a big city, where there are a lot of other signals present, it is hard to you to stay connected? I think it's because all of the other signals are so strong that they overpower the aircard signal. But that's just a gut feeling without any scientific basis. Any thoughts?

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:54 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, I sure haven't noticed that at all. But I do have an older version air card than you do and I have been told to never get rid of it because it is still one of the best. I don't know if that is true or not but mine works so good that I won't take the chance of upgrading unless I have to.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks, Helen, I'm actually going to try to get an answer to this question from Booster Antenna today. They have great customer support. I may need to update Verizon Manager or something. We'll see. Stop bragging, OKAY???
Old 01-11-2007, 02:07 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Old 01-11-2007, 05:22 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Note there IS a update to the verizon air card software.We have the KPC 650 air card along with the Kyocera KR1 router and the KCP 650 omni directional ant all from booster ant. It has worked without issue..were there is a verizon signal...note that here in Lake Havasu City,,there is NO verizon coverage... yet. Note( speeds 400 to 600 in broadband access areas which has seen everywhere..execpt here..)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think I must need the software update. Yuck, I have to dig out that ten digit code!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Have had no such problems but than again I avoid big cities like the plague especially if I'm pulling the Monty. Most of my truck driving years involved city driving. I became to hate it with a passion and if possible I try to avoid any type city driving.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Judy - Our Verizon air card has a feature for updates in the Help tab on the screen. Just click it and click Check for Updates. If you have the latest it will tell you and if you dont, you can get the update. Good luck - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Jim, is this feature on your Verizon software? I don't have a screen that comes up related to Verizon. I just go directly to Firefox to connect. Obviously I'm missing something.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
I have a screen that takes me directly to VZ Access Manager. It was installed with the cd that came with the card when I purchased the card. If you can locate VZ Access Manager, it will be on there. I don't know about Firefox. I would suggest talking with a Verizon store when you get time.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks, Jim. I will check that out.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Is Venturi (Verizon software) supposed to be used with the Verizon aircard? I've not had good luck with Venturi if that is what is supposed to be used.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Judy,

I just happened to call Verizon last night. My card kept going dormant and was running very slow. Sometimes saying it was connected and nothing would happen. Finally called them last night and found out that they have changed the software two or three times since I have had my card. My sugestion would be to call tech support and have them walk you through so you can get the update. Seems that the update part of the program is just for the phone numbers and linking of the card. The update software is a whole other sight and you will have to download it, saving it as a file. Then install it after you disconnect and close the program as it is not automatic. Also have them show you how to connect to the system only through the "options" and "run wizard" in the VZaccess program. This will let choose only the air card to cell tower option, keeping any of the other wireless options from entering your system. One thing nice is you also do have the option of running free WiFi with this card if a cell tower is not available. Any questions after that PM me I would be willing to help out. I have the Audiovox PC5740 card and is flying a mach speed once again.

Tom
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, the techs told me not to install the venturi even though it is on our install disc. It raises heck with the system. Good luck if you go to a Verizon store. I have never found one that knows anything about the card except how to sell them.

I did receive a card in the mail about an upgrade that I had to do on the computer to be able to use my card after Feb 2007 but it said it was for anyone that had the V620, KP650 or XV6600. They said that it could not be done at any of the stores. I don't think you have any of these versions do you?

Helen
Old 01-12-2007, 05:19 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you got your Verizon equipment at booster antenna get in touch with their tech's for assistance. The stores are useless for anything other than selling phones and it is had to find a Verizon tech through their tech support I can effectively communicate with.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #16
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We have one of the newer Verizon Air Broad band cards and it works very well. We do not run the Venturi option either. We tried it, but it seemed to bogg down our machine. Turned it off and the machine was vastly faster.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:22 PM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We've been stationary now for a while so I can't check our newly updated card inside a large city. But we were finally able to get the card updated because my brother here in Phoenix happened to have a laptop that accepts the aircard. We have had better connectivity since getting it updated.

But I experienced a real runaround before I was able to get the update. I communicated with Booster-Antenna who had no solution for our update short of mailing it to them and waiting for its return. That was not appealing. When I first spoke with Verizon, their tech knew nothing about. The problem with the update for us was that our aircard only fits into the router and it can't be updated while it's in the router. It's working a lot better now and seems very fast. We were having problems similar to Tom and Gina.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Try this link for Verizon software updates. http://vzw.smithmicro.com/download/

Not sure how large a city has to be.We have no problem here in Apache Junction, Az. We had no problem when using it in our home base in the Cleveland Area in Ohio. We had no problem using it in any City we passed in or near on our trip down.. The only City it did not work in was Havasu City, Az because Verizon had no Broadband coverage in the area.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
My problem occurred when there was an area saturated with WiFi signals. We'll see next week how it works when we go to L.A.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We would be interested on how that works for you since we have the same system. We can see 4 strong wi fi signals besides ours here in the C.G and we are not having problems.