Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
sat in stall

Why cant I pick up half of the satellite stations when I run my satellite wire from roof to sat plug in side compartment. Then I hook up to the sat plug in the trailer to receiver . I seem to be getting a week signal. But if I run it direct to receiver I can pick up all of them. Its a brand-new trailer

vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer View Post
Why cant I pick up half of the satellite stations when I run my satellite wire from roof to sat plug in side compartment. Then I hook up to the sat plug in the trailer to receiver . I seem to be getting a week signal. But if I run it direct to receiver I can pick up all of them. Its a brand-new trailer
I have had this problem before, and I turned off the TV Antenna Booster button, and all worked well.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I recommend you run a direct cable to your receiver and bypass the trailer wiring. If you don't want to run it through the window your can run it through a slide.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
yes I forgot about the booster. ok iam going to run a permeant wire some how just need a bit of time. only got the trailer sat then was of to Bristol last week, thru a code as soon as I put the 3.0 jacks down.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
code on levelup

I am assuming you have electric 3.0 Level system. My 2014 3.0 system took a little time to learn a routine to make it work well but now we seldom ever have a problem with it. I know most folks think their hydraulics are way better but my electrics have never leaked down over 2 or 3 days or creeped out on their own or sprayed fluid all in their compartment. Love our autolevel system. If I had a large enough unit to need hydraulics I would probably like them too.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:52 AM   #6
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
Ya it takes a bit of time, it was late and raining and tring to set up for the first time at stonewall Jackson resort last week. 12.30 at night trying to be quite lol. I guess I extended one leg to far.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Your neighbors would probably appreciate you arriving in the day light more than after dark, especially midnite. And it makes things a lot easier...
Old 08-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
Your neighbors would probably appreciate you arriving in the day light more than after dark, especially midnite. And it makes things a lot easier...
trailer was to arrive Friday and I would have had lots of time. Arrived 9am sat quick pdi and half our walk around, then drove 10hrs to get there. When you only have so much time every minute counts .
Old 08-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #9
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Some folks just like to be critical of everything. I usually "try" to arrive in a rainstorm after dark."
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:40 AM   #10
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooth ferry View Post
I usually "try" to arrive in a rainstorm after dark."
You're a Nancy unless you've arrived and set up after midnight, ...in a snow storm!!!

j/k
=O)
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Back to your original question. If you have a tailgator type antenna it draws the power to operate from reciever thru the cable so hooking it direct is the best way to get enough power for it to work properly.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #12
n4qpcham

M.O.C. #13941
If you have two antenna jacks, one labeled CABLE and one SATELLITE, the CABLE jack goes through the rooftop antenna power amp(the jack with the push on/off button) to the main TV area in most RVs. The SATELLITE connector should be a straight run to the main TV area and the satellite receiver. You can use the cable run to feed back to the other TV locations, but whatever the main TV is watching, all other TVs will be watching the same thing(one receiver). If everyone wants to watch different satellite stations, you will need at satellite receiver at each TV location, plus separate runs of cable to each satellite receiver from the antenna. Thru the slide is the best way to go. Most satellite antennas will support two receivers right out of the box.
As for your 3.0 LevelUp system, make sure you extend your front pads from the full up position down two or three holes by pulling and reinstalling the pins, then start the leveling system. I had the same problem on my shakedown cruise. The system "counts" the distance it extends the legs to level the coach, so drop the front legs the same number of holes so it won't have to go so far to make ground contact. The system will keep track of the difference between them when leveling.
n4qpcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #13
Wyatt Earp
Established Member

M.O.C. #21746
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemedic View Post
I have had this problem before, and I turned off the TV Antenna Booster button, and all worked well.

I have a 2018 3121RL and can't find the TV antenna booster button. I've looked behind the TV and the cable plate mount doesn't have a switch or indicating light. It's just a wall mount for the cable to connect. Also I couldn't find anything in the owner's manual either. So do I have a booster and if so where would the on/off switch be located? Thanks.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #14
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
I have a 2018 3121RL and can't find the TV antenna booster button. I've looked behind the TV and the cable plate mount doesn't have a switch or indicating light. It's just a wall mount for the cable to connect. Also I couldn't find anything in the owner's manual either. So do I have a booster and if so where would the on/off switch be located? Thanks.
It should be behind the TV in the bedroom.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #15
Wyatt Earp
Established Member

M.O.C. #21746
Thanks. That's one place we haven't looked.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:28 PM   #16
JWSwick
Established Member

M.O.C. #18339
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer View Post
I had same issue... I ran new cables with quality ends installed and it works perfectly! The install from the manufacturer seems very poor at best and my new cabling is installed with care and done correctly!
JWSwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:42 AM   #17
n4qpcham

M.O.C. #13941
Hey, Wyatt Earp. Mine was in the bedroom closet. My 12V TV mounted on the wall, with the power cord and TV cable going thru a small hole into the closet. The faceplate in the closet had a 12V receptacle, the cable connector, the on/off amp push button and the LED that turns on when the switch is depressed to indicate the antenna amp is on. Mine was a black plate that I could not see without a flashlight. I just feel for the switch since I know where it is now.
n4qpcham is offline   Reply With Quote