Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
docport
Established Member

M.O.C. #10181
Smile Replacing converter in 3455sa

Apparently my converter has STB and no longer charges the battery. Replaced one battery and 2yrs later the other battery lasted 3 weeks. Bought Powermate 55 amp convertor. Will install it when get back south. Has anyone else had to replace in 3400 series? Not an expert just know enough to be dangerous. Assume I will find it under stairs by taking off bulkhead in storage bin. Am I going to find this simple or am I going to run into big challenges . Watching U tube seems simple but one never knows. Appreciate any words of wisdom

docport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:49 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Assuming you have two batteries paralleled if 12 volts or series if 6 volts. I think the prevailing thinking is any time you have a bad battery, you replace both at the same, because the batteries should be the same to avoid damaging the weaker one. Before you replace a converter, you should check it for operation, so you don't replace a perfectly good converter. If your converter has the smart technology, if there is a need to replace it, the new one should also have that same technology which really does maintain your batteries much better than a standard single mode charger. Many times, if a battery was replaced, and the converter no longer charges properly, there is a possibility that the new battery may have been connected backwards, which will blow the reverse polarity fuses, and just replacing the fuses, along with the battery being connected properly, will solve the problem.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:12 AM   #3
docport
Established Member

M.O.C. #10181
Thanks Bob.. I'm using only one battery and after replacing the orig. bat the replacement lasted 3 years,replaced that one and that one lost all charge in 4 days. It had been on fullhookup for the 4 days prior to moving. After disconnecting power from post, tried to raise front legs and no power. Will take my ohm meter with me and check it out first, but my thinking is the charging portion of the convert. is shot. Just wondering if anyone else replaced their converter in 3400 series w/ a powermate and if they had any problems.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by docport View Post
<snip>....replaced that one and that one lost all charge in 4 days. It had been on fullhookup for the 4 days prior to moving.....
</snip>
Is there any chance you accidentally hooked it up backwards, even if it was for just a few seconds??? This smells like a blown reverse polarity fuse problem assuming you have the battery disconnect switch in the correct position.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
docport
Established Member

M.O.C. #10181
Nope ..checked everything out. Did not reverse poles..nothing touched anything it should not have. Hooked to the truck it gives it a light charge (did not drive long enough).
Old 09-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I missed what year camper you have, but the converter is a part of the power box on the newer montana's. It was a seperate box under the stairs on our old rig. There are five to seven wires to disconnect and the converter assembly slides out of the power box and then a replacement can slide right back in. Original warranty was two years and it is possible to buy a lifetime warranty for $100. The reverse polarity fuses and the breaker for the converter are right there on the assembly, or in the case of the breaker near the assembly.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #7
docport
Established Member

M.O.C. #10181
Thanks for the info Dick..My unit is a 2010 model (actually built in 2009). So 7 wires..hope I can put them all back where they belong
Old 09-21-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our 2010 had the converter as a seperate unit under the stairs. Our 2017 has it as a part of the power box.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote