Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Nova Scotia - Here we come!

Well after much soul searching we have decided to head out for NB,NS and PEI the last week of July and and spend the best part of August there. We will head back by way of Canada starting around the 1st week of September and if anyone has input on travelling from New Brunswick to the junction of hwy 185 & 20, N of Quebec and then down hwy 20 to pick up the Trans Canada Hwy (rte 147 & 17) to Thunder Bay, please reply with your comments.

I will have new 16" wheels and tires (All made in the USA) so hopefully I won't experience anymore blowouts & flats. Good bye Carlisle tires & 15" Chinese wheels!

Thanks................Allan

ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We were up that way this past summer, almost a year ago, and the trip was super. We stayed couple of nights in NB at Fundy National Park, the on to Cape Breton Island, part of Nova Scotia. After a few days there, touring the Cabot Trail and other delights, we took the ferry to PEI. The interesting thing about getting to and from PEI is you only pay to leave the island. We took the ferry one way there at no charge, and left by the Confederation Bridge, which with the Big Sky cost us a whopping $41.00!! Basically had a free boat ride! The roads back across and up through NB to Quebec City were great, as were the roads all the way to Toronto. I know about 20 plus years ago the road on the north side of Lake Superior was only two lane, but not overly busy. No real knowledge of that part lately, but it was sure gorgeous then! Stayed in a Provincial park called Neys right on the lake; 32 degrees on the 4th of July! Hope you have a great trip.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:18 AM   #3
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

We were up that way this past summer, almost a year ago, and the trip was super. We stayed couple of nights in NB at Fundy National Park, the on to Cape Breton Island, part of Nova Scotia. After a few days there, touring the Cabot Trail and other delights, we took the ferry to PEI. The interesting thing about getting to and from PEI is you only pay to leave the island. We took the ferry one way there at no charge, and left by the Confederation Bridge, which with the Big Sky cost us a whopping $41.00!! Basically had a free boat ride! The roads back across and up through NB to Quebec City were great, as were the roads all the way to Toronto. I know about 20 plus years ago the road on the north side of Lake Superior was only two lane, but not overly busy. No real knowledge of that part lately, but it was sure gorgeous then! Stayed in a Provincial park called Neys right on the lake; 32 degrees on the 4th of July! Hope you have a great trip.
Thanks for the info. We will celebrate our 50th next year and had planned to go to the Canadian Maritimes this year and Greece next year. With the lousy economy, we decided to do the Canadian trip and stay longer while putting Greece on hold. I would rather spend my money in Canada anyway!
Old 05-14-2010, 03:59 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Two years ago we spent the summer in the Maritime and Newfoundland... It was an incredible experience. You can get ideas and pictures at our blog.. Just click on the one called Newfoundland.

I know you will enjoy it as much as we did.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

Two years ago we spent the summer in the Maritime and Newfoundland... It was an incredible experience. You can get ideas and pictures at our blog.. Just click on the one called Newfoundland.

I know you will enjoy it as much as we did.

Helen

Thanks Helen. My wife has your blog spread all over the kitchen table making notes. We will be duplicating many of your stops.

Allan
Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
gypsies2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10209
Living in Nova Scotia I have travelled this route many times. When you hit the New Brunswick/Quebec border there is a Quebec tourist bureau a mile or so past the border. Be sure to stop there and ask for the best route through Montreal. It could be #20 or #40. Seems to change every day depending on construction. Rush hour in Montreal really slow going. We always try to hit this city on Sunday morning, or between 10am and noon during the week.
When you say you want to pick up the trans canada you mention route 147 & 17. Did you mean 417 & 17?
Route 17 from Petawawa to Mattawa was in terrible shape last fall. Shook a few pieces off my sob tt.
I would suggest route 7 just past Ottawa, west to Madoc, then up to Algonquin Park via route 62 & 127 and then route 60 to Huntsville. From there take route 11 north to North Bay. This puts you back in route 17 to the Souix and Thunder Bay. All these roads were in good shape two years ago when I travelled that route west. From the Souix to Thunder Bay is a great drive!
Hope this helps some. If you need any other info, just let me know

Cheers

Peter
gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
One thing I forgot on my earlier reply; we were so impressed we vowed to go back and spend some SERIOUS time in the Maritimes!!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gypsies2

Living in Nova Scotia I have travelled this route many times. When you hit the New Brunswick/Quebec border there is a Quebec tourist bureau a mile or so past the border. Be sure to stop there and ask for the best route through Montreal. It could be #20 or #40. Seems to change every day depending on construction. Rush hour in Montreal really slow going. We always try to hit this city on Sunday morning, or between 10am and noon during the week.
When you say you want to pick up the trans canada you mention route 147 & 17. Did you mean 417 & 17?
Route 17 from Petawawa to Mattawa was in terrible shape last fall. Shook a few pieces off my sob tt.
I would suggest route 7 just past Ottawa, west to Madoc, then up to Algonquin Park via route 62 & 127 and then route 60 to Huntsville. From there take route 11 north to North Bay. This puts you back in route 17 to the Souix and Thunder Bay. All these roads were in good shape two years ago when I travelled that route west. From the Souix to Thunder Bay is a great drive!
Hope this helps some. If you need any other info, just let me know

Cheers

Peter
Yes, I meant 417. Sometimes my fingers get a little faster than my brain!
BTW congrats on your 2955. We have a 31rld TT which is essentially the same floor plan. Lots of space!

I just checked the mileage for the detour you suggested and it is quite a bit further. I think I will take my chances on 417. I put shocks on the TT and it rides much better and is not affected by the roads as much as it use to be. BUT, thanks for your info.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
gypsies2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10209
Just goofed!! Not used to this site yet. Sorry for the re-post.
That section of route 17 could be repaved by the time you hit it this fall.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Peter,
I believe you can delete your extra post. If you look at the top of your post you will see a series of little icons. One of the icons will have what looks a little like a trash can. I think that allows you to delete an unwanted post. And if that does not work you can always ask a moderator or administrator to do it for you.

We have not yet been to that part of the country. We really would like to see that part of our world but don't know if we'll ever make it. Until we are able to visit we will enjoy following those of you who do manage to make it to that beautiful section of our country. Please be sure and post lots of pictures.

Enjoy!
Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
gypsies2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10209
Dennis & Mary Kay;
Thanks for the help. Message deleted. We are heading west again this year out to the Pacific coast and up to the Yukon through the BC interior. I hope to have a blog site set up in the next few days which will include regular updates and photos. We did this trip three years ago and have to go back and cover what we didn't see the first time. Leaving around the 1st of june and will be back around the 1st. of october.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We made a trip to New Brunswick from Ontario a few years ago, covered much of the same territory. At the time we were advised to take route 20 south and west of Montreal. Route 40 takes you through a tunnel under the St Lawrence. From what I have been told, this is not a fun trip with a big trailer behind, although it can be done, and truckers do it regularly. From 20 you can get onto 540 and then 40 which will take you into Ontario and highway 417. I have never taken the northern route on 17. It is certainly shorter, but the route through Algonquin Park is more scenic. There is a Flying J at exit 3 off 540 just west of Montreal.

Don't forget that most people in Quebec speak French, and the road signs are all in French, although the symbolic ones are the same. A few French words like Nord, Sud, Est, and Ouest are useful to know, "Exit" is "Sortie". New Brunswick is fully bilingual, so you will see signage in both languages, which will serve as an introduction to the French words.

Fundy National Park is great and you should try to visit Hopewell Rocks and some of the small fishing villages along the Bay of Fundy and Northhumberland Strait. Alma is supposed to have the highest tidal range in the world. Try some seafood, lobster if in season.

I am pasting below, a message I wrote a couple of years ago in response to a similar request. It contains some campground information.

Old post follows:
Here are some places we have stayed along your route. All are quite adequate and have at least some sites big enough for your rig. If you don't already have it, I would suggest that you get a campground directory such as Trailer Life or Woodalls.

Port Huron, MI: Lakeport SP
East side of Toronto: Darlington PP
Morrisburg, ON: Riverside-Cedar campsite (Parks of the St Lawrence)
Near Montreal, QC: Camping Allouette (Private) St Mathieu de Beloeil, QC
Riviere-du-Loup: Camping Chez Jean (Private) St Antonin, QC. (Private) (also Camping Municipal de la Pointe, in Riviere-du-Loup - have not stayed there but friends say it is good)
Near Fredericton NB: Hartt Island RV Resort (Private) (We did not actually stay at this one either, but had picked it out a possible stopping point)
Bouctouche NB: Bouctouche Baie Chalets et Camping,

Fuel: Will be more expensive in Canada. There are Flying Js off highway 401 at London, ON, Napannee, ON (Bill and Ann's home town), and in Quebec just west of Montreal. East of Montreal, you can look for "Big Irving" stations as being similar to Flying Js.

I don't know Montreal or Quebec well enough to give any detailed information. MOC members Ormee & Ginette live in Montreal and may be able to help you. Ottawa is a very nice city to visit, and has a good campground called "Ottawa Municipal Campground" (no sewer though).

If you go to Niagara Falls, there is a KOA in Niagara Falls, but it is quite expensive. If you just want to do a day trip, you might be as well to stay at Milton, ON and take a drive over to the Falls.

In Ontario, the 400 series highways are pretty much like U.S. Interstates, they will get you where you are going quickly, but you will miss a lot of scenery along the way.

Enjoy the ride! Wish were doing the same trip!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

We made a trip to New Brunswick from Ontario a few years ago, covered much of the same territory. At the time we were advised to take route 20 south and west of Montreal. Route 40 takes you through a tunnel under the St Lawrence. From what I have been told, this is not a fun trip with a big trailer behind, although it can be done, and truckers do it regularly. From 20 you can get onto 540 and then 40 which will take you into Ontario and highway 417. I have never taken the northern route on 17. It is certainly shorter, but the route through Algonquin Park is more scenic. There is a Flying J at exit 3 off 540 just west of Montreal.

Don't forget that most people in Quebec speak French, and the road signs are all in French, although the symbolic ones are the same. A few French words like Nord, Sud, Est, and Ouest are useful to know, "Exit" is "Sortie". New Brunswick is fully bilingual, so you will see signage in both languages, which will serve as an introduction to the French words.

Fundy National Park is great and you should try to visit Hopewell Rocks and some of the small fishing villages along the Bay of Fundy and Northhumberland Strait. Alma is supposed to have the highest tidal range in the world. Try some seafood, lobster if in season.

I am pasting below, a message I wrote a couple of years ago in response to a similar request. It contains some campground information.

Old post follows:
Here are some places we have stayed along your route. All are quite adequate and have at least some sites big enough for your rig. If you don't already have it, I would suggest that you get a campground directory such as Trailer Life or Woodalls.

Port Huron, MI: Lakeport SP
East side of Toronto: Darlington PP
Morrisburg, ON: Riverside-Cedar campsite (Parks of the St Lawrence)
Near Montreal, QC: Camping Allouette (Private) St Mathieu de Beloeil, QC
Riviere-du-Loup: Camping Chez Jean (Private) St Antonin, QC. (Private) (also Camping Municipal de la Pointe, in Riviere-du-Loup - have not stayed there but friends say it is good)
Near Fredericton NB: Hartt Island RV Resort (Private) (We did not actually stay at this one either, but had picked it out a possible stopping point)
Bouctouche NB: Bouctouche Baie Chalets et Camping,

Fuel: Will be more expensive in Canada. There are Flying Js off highway 401 at London, ON, Napannee, ON (Bill and Ann's home town), and in Quebec just west of Montreal. East of Montreal, you can look for "Big Irving" stations as being similar to Flying Js.

I don't know Montreal or Quebec well enough to give any detailed information. MOC members Ormee & Ginette live in Montreal and may be able to help you. Ottawa is a very nice city to visit, and has a good campground called "Ottawa Municipal Campground" (no sewer though).

If you go to Niagara Falls, there is a KOA in Niagara Falls, but it is quite expensive. If you just want to do a day trip, you might be as well to stay at Milton, ON and take a drive over to the Falls.

In Ontario, the 400 series highways are pretty much like U.S. Interstates, they will get you where you are going quickly, but you will miss a lot of scenery along the way.

Enjoy the ride! Wish were doing the same trip!
Thanks for the info. I had to laugh when you told about the folks in Quebec speaking French. Years ago my wife and I went to a highly rated restaurant in Montreal and every one was speaking French. There was a young fellow sitting at an adjacent table and overheard us speaking in English. Turned out that he was an American, was engaged to the daughter of the owner and that we both worked for the same company. All of a sudden, everyone was speaking English!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We were in Nova Scotia a few years ago, and loved it. Recommended sights are Halifax, Fort Louisburg in Cape Breton, and the bore tides in the bay of Fundy (I think). There's a small restaurant in Peggys Cove that has great scallops, if you're into seafood. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it was a few years ago, and I have developed a bad case of CRS.

As I recall, the roads in NS are fairly narrow with no shoulder in some places, so don't get in a hurry.

You'll love it, though.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #15
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Scattershot's comment about the narrow roads reminded me. If you drive the Cabot Trail around Cape Breton Island, try to do it in a clockwise direction. You will have far better views! Also, park the rig and use your TV only. Not many places to pull off with the whole thing!
Old 05-18-2010, 02:53 AM   #16
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Scattershot's comment about the narrow roads reminded me. If you drive the Cabot Trail around Cape Breton Island, try to do it in a clockwise direction. You will have far better views! Also, park the rig and use your TV only. Not many places to pull off with the whole thing!
I sure will! I am a big advocate of dumping the TT and sightseeing with the truck only. We are leery of staying at motels though after a little incident in Savanna, Ga. Someone before us had wet the bed and the maid just put clean sheets on it.

Kinda ruins a trip.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:23 AM   #17
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Yuch! You can do the Cabot Trail easy in a one day outing. It's only a 100 miles or so as I recall.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Best place to keep your 5th wheel while driving around the trail would be Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground. It is at the start of the trail. 180 miles trip. Takes 4-5 hours to drive.
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #19
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Freeda II, that is exactly where we stayed! Try to get one of the rally nice sites at the top of the hill.