Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Albuquerque Balloon Festival

Has anyone here ever been to this event? We would like to go to this event and stay in the Mountaineer. Is there a designated area for camping and attending the festival? I'm envisioning a dry camp type of experience where we can watch the balloons right from our campsite. Is this possible or am I just dreaming? If we can't do this, can anyone recommend a campground or family type RV park that we could use as a base camp.

AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AZCampinfool

Has anyone here ever been to this event? We would like to go to this event and stay in the Mountaineer. Is there a designated area for camping and attending the festival? I'm envisioning a dry camp type of experience where we can watch the balloons right from our campsite. Is this possible or am I just dreaming? If we can't do this, can anyone recommend a campground or family type RV park that we could use as a base camp.
We went last year as part of the Escapees RV Club HOP Program. Cost was $350. We were parked on the grounds provided. Yes, the balloons come right over the area and most of them land in an open area between the groups of rigs. In fact, one came down right in front of our rig and I had to move my chair to give it room. It's a moving experience. Check out the Escapees RV Club at www.escapees.com and follow the links. You have to sign up early or you won't get in with them. However, I believe you can contact the people in Albuquerque for other ways to attend. Last year, Good Sam had a group there for a week but it cost them $1500 and it rained the entire week. Balloons only took off on the last morning they were there. No rain checks.

I didn't want to go but my wife did and now I'm glad I did.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:06 AM   #3
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We are going to the festival. My husband is a balloon pilot and we will be crewing for our friend who has entered the race. We are staying on the field from 10/5 to 10/11. To my knowledge there are no more sites available for the Presidents site, but there were sites for dry camping. Your best bet is to call1-888-422-7277 and ask about availability. Keep in mind there are no bath/shower facilities. But you will have a great time.

Balloon take off is based on several factors, if the wind speed is greater than 12 knots then they cannot fly or if there are squirrley wind patterns and pilot judgement. On one flight I was on the wind came up as we were landing and whe hit the ground like a rock hitting the ground, tipped the balloon over and we skidded across the ground for about 100 yards before stopping and this was with a very experience pilot. Safety first !

If you go, let us know and we will meet up with you.

Dorothy and John
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:50 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have not been there in our Tana but have been to the Festival and can tell you that it is and awesome experience. We were there for a wedding in Santa Fe but took in the festival a couple of days.

If you can't find a spot to camp on the grounds, go anyway and stay near-by. You can always drive to the baloons and you can see them from a long ways away. You will not be sorry.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Thanks everyone for replies. I have found this event really books fast and far in advance for the premium sites. I think considering the ages of my kids we are going to shoot for '08 for this event. This will give me plenty of time for advanced planning and I think the kids would enjoy it more once they are a bit older.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote