Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Steve

M.O.C. #5785
Holding Tank level sensors

Has anyone had a problem with the level sensors in their holding tanks? We have had our 2955RL for about 10 months and the Black and Galley tanks are constantly giving us false readings. Our dealer has checked everything out and said that they are working properly. He said that the sensors are probably contaminated from the tank contents. I've tried flushing the Black tank, dropped in a bag of crushed ice before we get underway and added vinegar to the tank, all at the dealer’s suggestion, no way to flush the Galley tank. Any ideas? It just seems to me that a better sensor should be put on the tanks. When we were boating I installed a sensor kit from Snake River. It's a foil tape that is stuck to the outside of the tank. No chance for fouling this way. Has anyone else tried this? Other ideas?

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Steve,
The sensors are always wrong. Ours have never given proper readings due to debris (especially in the black tank). We've full timed for over six years and we know when it's time to dump.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Not sure about what you meant by "no way to flush the Galley tank", but anyhow, agree with Orv..just takes a bit of getting used to it. Lots of waste tank "management" info on the Forum, just search it out..
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That would also happen to our Black tank sensor..We do have the docking station and a really good flush, sometimes several and it would work normal. We dump and flush every day when hooked up and have not had that problem for a long time. Our galley tank was readin 2/3 full all the time. We gave it a good shot of dish wash fluid, Filled it up to where water stood in the sink..went out to dinner , came back flushed and all was normal and has remained so. Had the same sort of experience in our previous campers.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:46 AM   #5
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
You can also get a drain pipe fitting with a flushing fitting at most RV stores that will allow a back-flush. About 7 bucks if I remember rightly. I use a clear 45 deg. one that allows me to see when the water runs clear.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:37 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Steve - your lead-in question should not have been "has anyone had a problem . . " but rather "has anyone EVER had sensors that worked??" They are just one of those things that won't work exactly like they should all the time - just part of RVin'. I know some folks on here have retrofitted their rigs with a new type, but I don't recall seeing any "Eurekas" yet!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:49 AM   #7
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Our tank sensors work just fine, it's just a matter of keeping the tanks clean.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote