Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
sbwi3288

M.O.C. #19704
First time posting on the forum & Montana 3820FK Advice

Well I've been following the club for some time since we bought our Montana High Country and that was three and a half years ago today will be the first time I ever posted anything on the form. We've been full timing now for almost 4 years and we are upgrading our Montana High Country to a Montana 3820FK and I wanted to reach out to other Montana owners who have the same unit anything in particular I should look for in my new purchase keep an eye out for I'm pretty handy when it comes to fixing things I know there's no such thing as a perfect RV there's always something that needs to be tweet so share what you've learned and what you've done with it give me some heads up really love the club hope to make it to a rally one day right now we're were camping almost every summer

sbwi3288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Welcome to our group! Be sure refrigerator works
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Congratulations on your upgrade. Can't help you with specific input on that model but as you probably already know perform an extensive PDI.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your new rig.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Welcome to the forum and hope you have many happy times in your new Montana.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! The front kitchen models have had a problem with the plumbing going down into the basement and taking away a lot of storage. Not good for full timing. They told us at the Rally that they are going to raise the rear area on the front kitchens to give you storage in the rear as well as the front, but I don't know if those models are out to dealers yet.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Welcome. Four years fulltiming, you know what to look for.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
We upgraded our 2013 FL to the 3820fk and so far we are having no real problems outside of a broken theater chair ,a graphic wrinkle on the outside and couple LED's out on the front "smile"..all of which we found on the PDI,and getting fixed .
That said , 2 odd things we have found are that we don't like is the control panel door in the hallway, and the convenience door doesn't open far enough because it is on struts and I run into it or bump my head no matter how careful I try to be. I changed the panel door from swing to slide from a MOC member idea. But still working on the convenience door .
Every unit has it's own quirks , but since you are a seasoned RV owner,
I'm sure you do just fine and congratulations on your FK.
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:58 AM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
as a new poster just let us know your issues as you move along.

one suggestion is when you do a thread use lots of paragraphs so that we, old people, can understand the issue and hand.

good luck on the new trailer.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Welcome to the forum.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #11
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
I am a 1st year owner of this model and the floor plan is great for our non full timer use. The King mattress makes it very difficult to make the bed for space and the washer/dryer closet is virtually non assessable with the bed in front of it. No issues with the plumbing. Two things I would consider to do; remove one sofa and place a desk in a slide for a descent table top to work on and/or remodel the buffet table into a standard RV motorhome bench seat, that would convert into bed if needed for grand kids. More storage would be created near the refrigerator side. Current configuration is annoying to sit on with the cushions and rotating the table constantly to gain access. Last major item is the Onam generator takes up the entire front compartment leaving very little storage in the remaining two narrow compartments. It has not been worth the expense and weight for what we use our unit for. The one significant issue with the refrigerator was related to wire interference of the 12 volt exhaust fans (kitchen) causing the refer to shut down with fault codes. The fan is also the culprit in producing static in my cable causing lines across the TV. I use an external cable to a splitter and run directly to the tv when available and the air antenna is not affected. The 40 foot length is something to really consider in small RV parks, especially the tail swing of 13 feet to the axle. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #12
Trooper204

M.O.C. #21001
Teresa and Danny

We are a first time user of the forum. Purchased our 2018 - 3560RL last year at the Hershey Show and received it after Christmas 2017. Very happy with it so far.
When we purchased the unit it came with the MOrryde steps. These steps are really sufficient and the best on the market. The bottom step was bent. Upon contacting the customer service department with MOrryde they could not have been more helpful. I sent a picture of the step and they agreed to replace it free of CHARGE. Camping World could really take lessons from MOrryde.

Just wanted to give MOrryde the praise they deserve.
Trooper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #13
glw1973
Established Member

M.O.C. #18693
We have a 3820 FK and we love it except it lacks storage in the basement. Not good for full timers.
glw1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:18 PM   #14
Montana Girl
Established Member

M.O.C. #21671
Love the 3820FK!

First and foremost congratulations, you've picked a great rig! I fell in love with it and had to have it! Ours is a 2018.
That front kitchen is killer. As you said no RV is perfect. We found that out fairly quickly, in our driveway thank goodness. I am not an electrician and in no way technical but I will tell you in layman's, woman's, terms the most important thing we ran into. We found very quickly that after having the refrigerator on and then turning on the overhead fan in the kitchen, (not the oven vent fan), the refrigerator would shut off and show an error code. When I Googled that code I ended up on this forum for the first time and someone else had ran into the same issue. The refrigerator and that over head fan were wired to the same circuit and when the fan went on the refrigerator shut off.
After several emails, phone calls and the little arm-twisting I finally got the dealer to send out a repairman who then just rewired it so they were not on the same circuit. But now, when the fan is on my electric blind doesn't come down. But that's easy enough to work around :-) Everyone I spoke to said they had never heard of this before. Why in the world isn't all the wiring for identical rigs done the same way?? We had a couple of other little glitches but nothing major and nothing that I feel would be common in all of these units. Except the little latch that holds the sliding door to the bedroom open while traveling is pretty cheesy. Ours came loose and therefore the door jiggled enough to break one of the latches in the sliding door. Now after replacing the latches we just support the bottom of the door while traveling. Good luck and I hope you love it as much as we do. And a big thank you to whoever found this problem and shared it on the forum prior to my needing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwi3288 View Post
Well I've been following the club for some time since we bought our Montana High Country and that was three and a half years ago today will be the first time I ever posted anything on the form. We've been full timing now for almost 4 years and we are upgrading our Montana High Country to a Montana 3820FK and I wanted to reach out to other Montana owners who have the same unit anything in particular I should look for in my new purchase keep an eye out for I'm pretty handy when it comes to fixing things I know there's no such thing as a perfect RV there's always something that needs to be tweet so share what you've learned and what you've done with it give me some heads up really love the club hope to make it to a rally one day right now we're were camping almost every summer
Montana Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:37 PM   #15
Hoopty
Established Member

M.O.C. #19075
We have had our 3820fk legacy for almost two years now (full time for the past year). Here are some issues we’re having with ours.
1. We had the fridge / fan gremlin. The dealer had to rewrire both.
2. The two storage doors on the drivers side that are lifted by shocks have broken where the shocks mount to the door. The doors are very thin. My suggestion is to unhook the shocks.
3. The kitchen floor creaks. It is very loud. Took it to the dealer who told us to fix it they would have to gut it and re-lay the subfloor. They tried shimming it, which made it worse. I hope they’ve taken care of that issue with the newer models.
4. The screws in the shower enclosure will rust. Cover them in clear silicone prior to using the shower.
5. Make sure the bathroom pivot door is adjusted properly.
6. Our front window leaked. The dealership resealed it with silicone. No problem since.

Storage is a struggle with this unit. Spacebags are your friends. The king mattress is good for camping. Not so good for extended outings. We purchased a queen size rv mattress and a four inch memory foam pad.. works great. Even with the queen bed, it’s still pretty tight along the sides of the bed. We decided to forego the washer/dryer for storage.
Hoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:56 PM   #16
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
SBWI,

Been swamped lately and just getting back to checking the forums again. We got our FK in September of 18 and LOVE it! We also swapped the king mattress for a queen and I cut the wood underneath so it is sized for a queen and that makes all the difference for us. We can now use the washer/dryer "closet" for storage. (Our dog sleeps in the very bottom of that closet and loves it!

We aren't full time by a long shot, but have managed to fill up most of the empty spaces. I was reading this morning about someone who removed the strut from the convenience door and put magnets on to hold the door up - will probably try that.

We really haven't had any issues other than too busy to go out in it much and that has nothing to do with the fiver. We even like the booth up front with the swivel table. Our 2 year old grandson learned that he can press his head up against the front glass and as he goes back and forth across the trailer, his head vibrates against the glass making him laugh and laugh. (Us too!)

I hope you're enjoying yours more than we are ours. (Stupid jobs!)
2017 Fully Grown 5 Pound Toy Golden Doodle
BandBmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #17
Marilynd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19388
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations! Safe travels.
2020 GMC 3500 Crew Cab Dually
Marilynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #18
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
Congratulations on getting the FK...update on our earlier reply. First we also converted the king bed to a queen, second was the storage/convenience center door, no more headbanging struts, magnets working great.
The one thing left is figuring out where to wire in the surge protector. Using the Hughes Auto Former for
at least a bit of protection.
As an aside on the FK. It looks like it went the way of the FL. No longer offered by Montana, on dealer stock, a new version iapparently in the works. I hope they don't do what they did on the new FLs, namely adding steps to get in bedroom to add storage, and then eliminating the fear entrance door.
The DW said no way and much happier with our FK.
Happy Trails to you,and let''s hope all the other FK owners keep posting updates too .
Jim and Laurie
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:03 AM   #19
BandBmalin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22581
Jimandlaurie,
Would you mind posting a pic of your convenience door mod. I'd like to do the same. Are you going to do the same with the door in the back also?
2017 Fully Grown 5 Pound Toy Golden Doodle
BandBmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #20
travelcade
Established Member

M.O.C. #23237
We got our 2018 FK in November. We love it but we also have the fridge/ fan gremlin. I read in one of the posts to move the fan to the circuit that has the outside security light on it and this will correct the problem. We also have the LI oP code that shuts down the fridge but the magnet trick works on that. We put hinges on the bathroom door because DH was tired of fixing it every 3-4 days.
We downsized from a 1700 ft. house that we lived in for 25 years to the Monty and have been downsizing ever since. Getting ready to hit the road on May 1st; first stop is the Cat scales. We're anxious to see if our weight is right. I think we're good but we'll see.
travelcade is offline   Reply With Quote