Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
TRASH

Trash has become a huge issue in our country and around the world. We are here is one of the most beautiful places in the U.S. - Florida Keys - but, the trash in the waters is heart wrenching! We have been out into the Atlantic and the Bays snorkeling and diving and the amount of trash in the waters is deeply concerning. We know there are many campaigns to rid the waters of the plastics, aluminum, etc... but, we feel it would be much better if we all just did our part to help by putting the trash where it belongs.

I feel confident that no one on this forum would be guilty of depositing trash where it does not belong and I feel that most everyone here goes a step further and picks up trash you find even if it is not your own. We do and will continue to do so.

We just wanted to remind folks of what we are seeing and hope you will help us spread the word to others. Some things we do that we hope helps in some small way are:
  • to use reusable grocery bags - cloth;
  • avoid buying plastic if at all possible;
  • deposit any/all plastic in recyclable receptacles;
  • use paper products to clean up after the fur babies;
  • pick up and properly dispose of trash of any kind where ever we; happen to be; and
  • spread the word about what we are seeing as we travel our great country.
We believe that if everyone would help out we could significantly reduce the amount of plastic and trash in our rivers, lakes, and oceans.

All we ask is that you pass the word.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...ge-patch-news/

Old 09-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Along with that, I'm also concerned that more and more places are dropping recycling because there's no longer a profit in it. I didn't think the real point was to make a profit so much as to save a future for our kids
Old 09-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Along with that, I'm also concerned that more and more places are dropping recycling because there's no longer a profit in it. I didn't think the real point was to make a profit so much as to save a future for our kids
I agree with you. Unfortunately, our world revolves around money. Very sad.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Old 09-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Not to diminish the intent of your post, but I believe the Keys still have a lot of debris to clean up from Irma, especially stuff that blew into canals.

Just yesterday while I was cutting my grass, I noticed how much plastic was accumulating. Small stuff I assume fell out of trash bags, and even pieces of trimmer string and I guess stuff that blew from neighbors' yards. I live on a freshwater canal that does have an outlet to the Intra-coastal and the Gulf of Mexico, so I imagine plastic can ultimately get to the Gulf. My little yard is just one of hundreds of thousands contributing to the plastics mess. Yes, we are all to blame and only we can fix it at the source.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We live in the Blueridge Mountains of Va. We are hunters. There was a guy who worked in the shop who said people could carry a full beer can up the mountain but couldn’t carry an empty one down the mountain. I think he was on to something. You can go up the most remote mountain here and find trash someone has left. WHY!
Lynwood
Old 09-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
People are going to leave trash. That's why the old fashioned paper bags work. They are renewable, recyclable, biodegradable, make great charcoal and fire pit kindling.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Plus cats really like them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F5862FA4-98B9-4226-BD0B-7375D6BB2EB2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	2315  

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Old 09-11-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
This post sounds way to political for this forum.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
Old 09-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
martyperu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13316
Every little this helps. Wish they would ban plastic straws. See them laying around every campground.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
We are our own worst enemies. The state has started recycling in the campground we host at and we have a receptacle on the way to the bathhouse. Many are very good about participating, but others you see make many trips a day, and we have to clean cans and half-melted bottles out of the fire pit.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #11
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
in some places plastic straws are baned. as are styrofoam cups.
but why do we as a country not burn most of out household garbage?

1: reduces the total fill for the dumps.
2: the burners can turn salt water to steam to turn turbines. almost free eletricy here.
3: water condences to "drinkable" water.
4: volume ? some metals might be had. ( help cover the cost of the burner rebuild).
5: other?
Old 09-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
This sounds like a totally political topic

I see the same trash and get just as mad as others here about the total disrespect for others and decorum in general. I always have a pair of leather gloves and always find myself cleaning up beer cans, half melted plastic and cigarette butts from fire pits and the campground in general.

I totally respect anybody that works (or is retired from a life of work) regardless of their occupation. I treat the folks cleaning up the State RV park same as a CEO. I tell them thanks for their efforts every chance I get.

On the other hand I have zero respect for the parents who don’t teach their kids how to be at least a little respectful and tidy!!!

I completely disagree with banning straws or cups!! Instead we should teach our kids to show a little respect and put trash in a trash can!! Whip their little butts if they don’t!! It is our permissive society that is to blame for the trash we see everywhere not the items that make up that trash!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #13
Greg and Sherry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17728
I agree with mtlakejim 100%. People need to start taking responsibility for what they do and what they teach their children.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:02 AM   #14
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Come to California. There is trash everywhere. People here talk a good game but thats all it is talk. The dump is so expensive that i see all kinds of furniture and appliances along side the road besides the regular trash. People here just scream about straws but they are the same people that trash the state. We ban everything here. Straws Styrofoam plastic bags you name it.They charge you for paper sacks that you used to get for free. This state is so screwed up. Nothing golden about it except you have to have lots of it to live here.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Not to diminish the intent of your post, but I believe the Keys still have a lot of debris to clean up from Irma, especially stuff that blew into canals.

Just yesterday while I was cutting my grass, I noticed how much plastic was accumulating. Small stuff I assume fell out of trash bags, and even pieces of trimmer string and I guess stuff that blew from neighbors' yards. I live on a freshwater canal that does have an outlet to the Intra-coastal and the Gulf of Mexico, so I imagine plastic can ultimately get to the Gulf. My little yard is just one of hundreds of thousands contributing to the plastics mess. Yes, we are all to blame and only we can fix it at the source.
I used to live on a salt canal off Intercoastal near Galveston
Old 09-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #16
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
If everyone does their part that is a good start. The key is create less trash that will wind up in a landfill.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
[QUOTE=PNW Fireguy;1116994]If everyone does their part that is a good start. The key is create less trash that will wind up in a landfill.[/

As I recall it was tree huggers that pushed for a change from biodegradable paper bags to plastic bags. Similar to pushing Ethanol which ended up with higher use of hydrocarbons and chemicals as farmers till vast swaths of land!

As is typical many things are not well thought out and are simply feel good measures designed to look like we are taking some sort of action

The REAL solution is to teach kids to be responsible and punish those who are not. Punishing the rest of us just makes life more difficult and expensive!!

It’s called a trash can. Teach your unruly brats to use it!! And while your at it learn yourself!!
Old 09-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #18
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I don't know if you are are just having a bad day, off your meds or just an angry individual? I don't have unruly brats and I assure you that I know how to use a trash can...Me a tree hugger I would be more likley to fell a tree on ya.
Mean people just suck
Old 09-30-2018, 10:34 AM   #19
JRogers
Established Member

M.O.C. #22215
Yes, Very Political

I really like some of the comments ie. Teach your brats to use the trash can...
Still I would say most of us on this form clean up after ourselves, so it is hard for me to point a finger at any of the post.
We have all seen it. The party animals come in, make lots of noisy, create lots of trash and leave.

We should unit, and send the party animals home!

I could go on, but my humor usually gets me in trouble.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
I don't know if you are are just having a bad day, off your meds or just an angry individual? I don't have unruly brats and I assure you that I know how to use a trash can...Me a tree hugger I would be more likley to fell a tree on ya.
Mean people just suck
Let me clear this up. I wasn’t suggesting you were not a responsible person. When I said “You and Your” in the last paragraph, I was referring to anyone who would leave trash behind not anyone specifically. Reading the post I can see where you may have taken it personally. It was NOT intended that way.

My point was that many ideas suggested by “tree huggers” or “environmental terroists” are not fully thought out

I actually agree with you that we should develop ways to produce less trash. How about going back to biodegradable and renewable paper bags!!

As for being mean?? Yeah I get mad �� just like the OP when I see people leaving trash behind!! Don’t you??

I don’t think anyone on here is irresponsible. I agree with others it’s the party animals and their ill mannered BRATS!
Closed Thread