Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
Bruce0850
Established Member

M.O.C. #19350
Salt Lake City UT to Stanley Idaho

Looking at a trip to Stanley Idaho and was wondering if anyone has done this trip.
Looking at I-15 North to Blackfoot ID, then 26 West to Arco, then 93 to Challis, and finally 75 back to Stanley.
Also, looking at I-15 North to 84 West to Twin Falls, then 93 North which then turns into 75. However, I know that there is a 9000 foot Galena pass on this road.
93 via Challis is about 40 miles farther, but I don't think I would have the big pass.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Old 09-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
I drove the route through Blackfoot and Arco to Challis, then to Salmon last year. Kinda boring for the first part, very scenic the last part. And safe.

This year I drove the hwy 93 route through Sun Valley to Stanley and then to Salmon. Absolutely breathtaking beauty. Yes the pass is a little slow and has many 15mph turns, but I had no problem pulling the Montana. Plenty of turnouts to enjoy the view.

I would highly recommend the second choice for the awesome scenery. I saw many places to camp right on the river when you get to Stanley.

We will be going back again next year.
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #3
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I drove the route many time when I lived in Idaho. Both routs have good scenery, don't worry about the pass. Stanley and the sawtooth mountains are beautiful. I like the drive from Stanley to Salmon; there of tons of good camping spots along the way. Check out the Yankee Boy area.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote