Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
ACFD139
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20882
Temperature monitoring

Does anyone have suggestions for a temperature monitoring app.
So I can keep an eye on the temperature to alert me If the AC
goes out.

ACFD139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
rescue7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15913
I use myacurite with there temp equipment Monitor trailer anywhere and store records.
rescue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFD139 View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for a temperature monitoring app.
So I can keep an eye on the temperature to alert me If the AC
goes out.
We use Alfred to monitor temp and humidity when we leave the dog. It takes leaving a cell to monitor but it is free
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
assuming this is related to an animal, a simple solution is to just have another RVer check if you going to be gone a long time.
I can't image that anyone would leave their animals inside for more that 4-6 hours and even if a/c goes out the temp would not be excessive for the animals.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
assuming this is related to an animal, a simple solution is to just have another RVer check if you going to be gone a long time.
I can't image that anyone would leave their animals inside for more that 4-6 hours and even if a/c goes out the temp would not be excessive for the animals.
In addition to seeing the temp and humidity any noise can be heard. Nice to know if he is barking as that means something is wrong ~ he usually sleeps while we are gone at home or in the 5er.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
rescue7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15913
I use acurite temp sensing equipment, and 2 Lorex wifi cameras. All are tied to a cradlepoint router with a verizon modem. I can monitor temp, see what is happening live and listen in. It works well. Also in response to animals in high temp for 4-6 hours, I had the a/c go out in Houston on a 100 degree day while we were home and it was a 100+ in side in less than 10 minutes. The animals may have not lasted in those temps for that long.
rescue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Pet owners always need to remember how pets cool themselves. They do not sweat like we do-panting is their most efficient method. As long as they are not in direct sun, have adequate water, AND air is moving most breeds of cats and dogs (English Bulldogs and long haired cats excepted) can handle heat better than most of us. Problem would occur if AC went off while the humans were gone and the trailer was completely closed up. We are currently in a high end campground on the Texas Gulf Coast for 33 days. Two weeks ago while I was shaving at about 8:30 a.m. all power to the rig went dark. When I called the office they told me "didn't you get the email? We have to cut power today to replace some old electrical lines". We had planned a day trip that day for about 6-8 hours (our cat and dog do fine with up to 8 hours), so thank God I had not left yet. What was supposed to be 4 hours max without power turned in to 10 hours. I had no choice but to load them in the truck in their crates and go for a drive. Temp inside the trailer (with windows closed) did go up in a hurry (I made repeated return trips back to our site during the day to see if repairs were done). With the windows open and door open (screen door in place) temp peaked at about 90 but the outside temp never got over 85. We won't travel again without a monitoring system of some kind.
FWIW I am a retired veterinarian who practiced for 42 years in South Texas and I saw more than my share of pets with heat stroke over the years. Without prompt, aggressive medical treatment most pets don't survive, at least not long term. I cannot think of a single instance of a pet getting heat stroke that did not occur from human idiocy.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
We monitor temp and noise with Alfred app.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
And don’t forget DO NOT feed your dog ice if they are too hot. It has the opposite affect of what it has on us. There brain thinks they are too cold and trys to warn them up complaining the problem, cool water but never ice.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote