Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #21
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Up here in the Northwest power goes out during the winter sometimes. Best thing to do is to have an electrican install a generater switchgear panel. That way you can safely hook your generater to the house and untilize your generater knowing you won't kill someone or burn your house down. Should cost around $500 to have that done. Good luck. We have 2 wood burning boilers for hot water and house heat that is blown in the basement using a blower powered by the generater and solar panel heat exchanger circulates the silocone for the hot water heater.

Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #22
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Recently I had to replace my switchgear because the shorepower side went out. This was the second time in 10 years I replaced it. Yes, I use a surge protector.
The box is in a really uncomfortable location for working on.
Check my entry earlier on "switchgear failure" for my story and pictures.
If you have a built-in generator, remember to put the jumper wire on the generator switch to feed all trailer outlets. Some are not fed from the generator without it. Hope this helps.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote