Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2018, 06:12 AM   #21
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Gosh, the original post on a black water valve was started in 2017....I hope you've figured it out by now.

Happy Holidays

mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:32 AM   #22
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
You will need new cables. Order the valves with the cable lengths you think that you need as a package (ie. 6'/8'/10'). If you are not sure what length you need, order the longest ones. The cables can be trimmed to the desired length. Go to there web site and look for installation instructions. You will read things like the cables have to be straight for at least 6" from the handle/no bends less than 24" diameter?/shortest possible length/cables securely anchored along the way etc.

I have a 3791. Does the black and bathroom grey tanks use the same valve with cable? I need to replace the black valve so I'll do both while I'm there. Both have always been hard to pull.

Thank you!
JAWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:16 PM   #23
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Each tank has its own valve and handle
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:16 AM   #24
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Each tank has its own valve and handle
Yes, I know they each have their own valves. I asked if they were the same. "Same" meaning are they alike, interchangeable if you will.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #25
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWs View Post
Yes, I know they each have their own valves. I asked if they were the same. "Same" meaning are they alike, interchangeable if you will.
Some would interpret "same" to be one valve shared by all. But as to "same" being the type of valve - YES, the valves are the same and the one 3" you buy fits both openings.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:48 AM   #26
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Some would interpret "same" to be one valve shared by all. But as to "same" being the type of valve - YES, the valves are the same and the one 3" you buy fits both openings.
Yes, some would think "same" meant one valve shared by all IF they stopped reading at the question mark on my first post, where I quoted another post. However, if one read the whole post, it clearly states I realize there are two different valves with the ending statement: I need to replace the black valve so I'll do both while I'm there. Both have always been hard to pull.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:39 PM   #27
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Jaws, they are both the same. If replacing, look at the Valterra valves. The Bristol valves that came on the unit are a braided cable, where the Valterra is a solid cable. Had ours replaced before we picked it up. Replaced them on our old unit and no matter how well you clean the tanks before starting, it’s a crappy job.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:29 AM   #28
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
LOL...Thank you rames14! I will be going with Valterra for sure however I am undecided whether to order first or take out to measure needed cable length. I did read somewhere that the cables can be cut to length but why if I don't need to.
Thank you again!
Old 06-24-2021, 06:57 AM   #29
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I ordered mine from Amazon. The length doesn’t matter. You can always put a loop in them if way too long. I don’t remember them being sold by length.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #30
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
I ordered mine from Amazon. The length doesn’t matter. You can always put a loop in them if way too long. I don’t remember them being sold by length.
Imho that is an incorrect the cables need to be as short as possible and routed in such a way that they are straight coming off of the handle and or the valve for at least a foot and anchored down along the way so nothing moves when they are operated
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote