Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
biznsa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8999
VPN Software

I'm looking for recommendations on VPN software. The wifi in the RV resort is open to anyone with a username/password that probably hasn't changed in years. There are times I need to access sensitive sites and would prefer to tunnel through a VPN.

biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Bill,
If I understand a VPN, it establishes a private network from point to point. In other words, you need the VPN port open at the server and router you're trying to connect to remotely. Then you can 'tunnel' from your machine to the host. The general application is for employees trying to access the office machines remotely.

Not sure if that is what you're trying to accomplish but I use the VPN software included with Windows.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I'm not aware of any public VPN endpoints to connect to nor have I've had a need to investigate hosted VPN solutions. I seriously doubt anybody in the park will have the technical skill to perform a man in the middle attack to defeat SSL which is really only possible if certain conditions exist. Having said that if you truly want/need a VPN solution rather than relying on SSL between you and the remote site (or if SSL isn't available) your best bet would probably be to "own" a virtual machine on Azure or Amazon AWS and roll your own by using available software or by creating a SSH tunnel. I've done this (SSH Tunnels) to create encrypted proxies to spoof my location and improve performance on various occasions. Don't ask why, in 20+ years in IT I've done some really odd things over the years.

If you find a hosted VPN solution I'd be concerned with their security and your data security. All your data will traverse their servers and there's far greater probability that they have the staff with the technical skills to intercept your data than those folks in the park.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
What kinda language are guys talking... #128526;
Old 08-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
biznsa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8999
davidaf...your last sentence is a concern. You're probably right that a hosted VPN Server would be more likely to compromise data than someone in our park.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Here we go again Drifty

The likelihood of data compromise is so low (with SSL) it would be the least of my concern on an unencrypted wireless network (or for most data security concerns). The most important part is always make sure you are using SSL and/or TLS for websites, email etc and property securing your computer(s) and their communication with others on that same network like your DW's. I use a Cradlepoint router that basically results in a double NAT to the internet by NATing my computers (with a basic firewall) in the rig out to the wireless network which than NATs again to the internet. Thus my computers in the rig and the communication between each of them is pretty well protected.

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:01 AM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I sent you a Email

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #8
biznsa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8999
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

I sent you a Email

Phil P
Thanks, Phil. If I decide to go that route, I'll definitely call you.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Ok I agree with what has been posted already.

However there is an other reason to VPN into an other server. Although it is for a fee. In other words.

If I want to watch a TV show say based in the UK. And they only allow people from the UK to view it. I have to VPN to one of their servers to get the host domain. It is the Only Way.

Yes you have to pay a fee for access to the server.
It's not like hacking a server. Nor are you doing anything illegal. You are just paying a fee like satellite internet.

Now you can do devious things using a VPN. However if what you are doing is suspicious you would be terminated.

I have to log in via VPN for lots of things for work. Things like Travel, Time, Benefits, and anything HR related.
We just went thru a DUO authentication for all things related.
I work for an educational outfit. They have EDUROAM So no matter where you are if they are part of the network you are authenticated. But with the duo auth it differs. I just found this out this week.

So there are other reasons to VPN other than devious reasons.
I have a serious need due to work.
My wife would like to see the British TV Show Big Brother. Which is only available to UK domain. How else do you get there. It is like a passport in this instance. Your mileage may vary.

Just an insight why VPN is important.
But in the DAY and age While on the WWW.
Question Is WHY is it necessary.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:03 AM   #10
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
This solution is what you want if you want free and low data rate for secure web form/financial work.

https://www.proxpn.com/index.php
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
freddieodom

M.O.C. #22077
I am sharing a blog in which you can read about top-notch 15 VPN service providers with their details. Read and select your desired VPN.

https://www.vpnranks.com/best-vpn/
freddieodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #12
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I would recommend Nord, Express, or IpVanish I have used all of them will great results.
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:13 AM   #13
NoLimits

M.O.C. #25117
I don't advice a free serivces, they are not reliable, but as for paid - I can vote for SurfShark VPN - stable connection, extention for browser and variety of countries available, solid choise
Old 10-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #14
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
We've been using NordVPN for a while now. Been very happy with there service and speed.