Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Wal-Mart Memory Foam Mattress Topper Review

Fellow MOCers:
For the regular perusers of this forum, you will remember that last year we opted to puchase a 4" topper for the King Bed from Wal-Mart and I said at the time I would reserve judegment until I had a few hours on it. I think I can fairly provide my opinion now. Let me start by stating that this is not your ordinary 4" memory foam topper, it is constructed of 2 1/2" of high density poly foam with 1 1/2" of memory foam on top of that with a cover. Myself and DW both have chronic back pain as a result of an accident four years ago. Our pain is unpredictable but the last few weeks it has definitely been increasing. We have spent the last week in the rig sleeping on the topper and the medicinal benefits have shocked both of us. This mattress topper may be a cheap one (we paid $160 for King Size) but we are now firm (no pun intended) believers in it and are actually going to purchase one to put on top of our Sealy pillowtop at the stick house. We have reached the conclusion that the mattress at home is not helping either but really don't want to discard a two year old mattress that we paid $1300 for. Opinions may differ from ours, but I cannot dispute the benefits that we are seeing at the present time. If you want a cheap alternative, this is provided as food for thought and as always should be considered as my opinion only.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Bingo, we've had the memory foam toppers on both beds, house and 5er for two years now. Wife says it helps her sleep more relaxed, me, I can sleep just about anywhere as long as I don't fall off!
Had to trim about 4 inches off the length for the 5er, used the electric knife that is used for carving the turkey.
Gotta agree with your opinion, worth the price!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:12 AM   #3
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
We bought the King size 4" memory foam topper at Costco and love it. It actually is as comfortable as our $4,000 Tempurpedic set at home. There was a rebate on the topper at Costco and if my memory is right I think it was about $130 after the rebate. I was going to cut it off but had the matress pulled away from the wall while the topper was "inflating" and decided to tuck it in at the top and then push it against the wall to compress it. It hasn't moved around at all and does not interfere with the slide. The one drawback to the topper is the bed will not stay open when I want to access the under the bed storage. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust those things(can't think of the name),so the bed will stay open? I guess the topper makes the bed too heavy.
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by krtam

The one drawback to the topper is the bed will not stay open when I want to access the under the bed storage. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust those things(can't think of the name),so the bed will stay open? I guess the topper makes the bed too heavy.
Sharon

We just had our hydraulic lifter thingys replace (maybe their called struts? ) with two new ones that are 100 pounders. The tech mentioned the bed was really heavy after the install. We have a 3" memory foam topper from Sam's Club. The replacement hydraulic lifter thingys, really helped. I can even lift the bed now to access the storage under the mattress.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We had one, didn't have to trim it either. I loved it DW didn't soooo, we bought a new mattress and she is now happy so that makes me happy, even though my back isn't that happy.

When the DW isn't happy, nobody is happy.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote