Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2011, 05:12 AM   #21
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Bob, WD-40 isn't a lubricant. If you are using it to clean the hitch plate, I can understand that. But after you clean it you need something to act as a lubricant.

I've heard of people buying a spray can of white grease from NAPA parts stores. Actually, I need to pick some up myself!

The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #22
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
Don't forget to lube the pin itself.

Bill
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:57 AM   #23
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We use the teflon plate along with grease on the pin and jaws of the fifth wheel hitch. If the jaws are not lubed they can chew away on the pin and metal parts.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #24
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
For myself as OP, thanks for the lube info as well! All new to me, this forum really has helped us out!
Old 05-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #25
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Sunflowers

Bob, WD-40 isn't a lubricant. If you are using it to clean the hitch plate, I can understand that. But after you clean it you need something to act as a lubricant.

I've heard of people buying a spray can of white grease from NAPA parts stores. Actually, I need to pick some up myself!
Yes, I do clean the plates with WD-40. Then just give the plate a good shot of it before I hitch up. I know it's not supposed to be a "lubricant", but it's better than dry, and it's better than grease which is very magnetic to dirt and clothing. Been towing with the same hitch and doing it the same way for over 6 years now and most of the paint is still on it.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #26
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yes on the nylon disc to lessen the mess. You can't completely avoid the grease since you need some on the indentation on the pin where it makes contact with the hitch head and with all the moving parts on the hitch head. Just think where metal on metal still occurs in hitch head and that where you put the grease. The comparatively inexpensive nylon disc helps the grease go a lot further since there would be a lot of grease needed if you didn't use it. The hitch head and base where the grease would still be needed are typically not in areas where you'd end up making contact with it.

Like a lot of others have agreed, you sure can't beat that nylon disc. It keeps the mess down A LOT.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #27
5 wheeling
Established Member

M.O.C. #11375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8e3k0

We use the teflon plate along with grease on the pin and jaws of the fifth wheel hitch. If the jaws are not lubed they can chew away on the pin and metal parts.
Exactly as noted above, I likewise use the teflon plate and heavily lube the king pin and hitch jaws. Oh, it's good to clean the king pin up before the next outing and regrease. Grime and dirt will adhere itself to the king pin and hitch jaws reducing the effectiveness of the lubricant.
5 wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote