Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, any way you can just mount the new ones in a more accessible side of the tank and extend the wiring as needed?

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #22
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Well the first trip with the new probes is over and so far I'm 100% satisfied. They appeared to track the tanks through the weekend and after the drain (no rinse) they indicated empty! We managed to get all the tanks to 2/3 full.

For Bill If you can find someone with smaller hands all you need to do is remove the 2 nuts and you can push the old probes into the tanks with a screwdriver. The new probes push in easily and can be tightened with a box or open end wrench. I think I had similar space to work with as you do and I don't think my hands are small. I also had to work around the gas line.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #23
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
The sensors are setting here on my desk but I think Iam going to pass on this project. Iam going to call tomorrow and see what I have to do to return them. Mike, Iam not sure if my tanks are like yours or not, they are black rounded on the bottom and no supports under them. Some how they must be attached to the floor with something on top of the tank. I could not determine how they are held in place however my view was very poor.
Steve, yes I think putting them on the side would be a preferable option however I think Iam going to leave well enough alone. They do work some of the time.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:50 AM   #24
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
A while back, Open Road (which went out of business) advertised probless sensors. They were mounted on the outside of the tank. I wonder how effective these worked? I never bothered to look at these.
Anybody ever heard of these?

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:36 AM   #25
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I looked at something like that, but it was a whole new system that required replacing the control panel and installing the sensors. This seemed like an easier approach and looks good so far.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:05 AM   #26
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
We have SOB (Mobile Suites 38RLSB3). I ordered and rec'd the Horst Probes last week. I ordered them just for the black and grey tanks as our fresh water tank probes are just fine. In fact, our grey tank sensors were worse than our black tank sensors for some reason. I figured all the money I spent on sensor cleaners thus far would make up for the little bit of $$ these new sensors cost.

Here is my install story...

I first went to the hardware store to purchase some wire and jumpers in case I needed them...I then moved our sliding storage tray out of the way and began studying my next adventure. Oh, I also emptied the tanks as well and notified my wife not to use anything that has water tied to it.

I then started with the grey tank first which is the bottom tank for our rig. I was able to locate all 3 sensors and the ground. I started with the top sensor (full sensor). Disconnected the wire and began to try and loosen the factory installed probe. I could not get the sensor to turn or budge so then I went to plan B which encompasses drilling new holes into the tanks to install the new sensors. As long as I didn't screw this step up I figured this was a better way to go because you can always move the wires back to their original locations if for some reason the new sensors fail. Granted the original sensors don't work well but at least they are there for use if needed.

I removed the sensor wire from the top sensor (full) on the grey tank. Luckily, on our rig, there was quite a lot of the original extra wire so I could install the new sensor where it was handy to drill. I decided to move it around the corner of the tank so the rear of the sensor (where the wire is attached to) faced the front of the rig. Drilled the hole, placed a little marine grade sealant on the probe seal (this is something I did for peace of mind), and pushed the new probe in the new hole. It fits in the 3/8 hole pretty snug. Hint: Do not push the probe into the hole by pressing on the screw where the wire is connected to. You may actually push the probe out of the fitting and cause extra work for yourself or potentially push it into the tank...yikes...I tightened up the first nut to create the seal, put the wire on and tightened up the second nut and done.

For the second or 1/2 full sensor, negotiating the drill into a desireable location was the hardest part. Once I got that done the rest was easy.

From there I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to get a 3/8 hole towards the bottom of the grey tank. I finally gave up on that until I could look for a creative way to drill (e.g. flexible or 90 degree drill bit may work but I did not have those with me). I also decided to forego installing the ground sensor. The reason being is that if you eliminate the ability for the probes to connect via sludge and stuff on the side of the tank, the original ground should work just fine. Also, the ground wire for each tank is extremely hard to get to. If needed, I would cut the wire and install a jumper and move the probe to more easily accessed location.

Onto the black tank which is situated above our grey tank. I found this tank much easier to install the probes. The hardest part was working around the large flexible vent that was directly in front of the probes. I decided to move the 1/3 (bottom) and 1/2 (middle) sensor around the corner and the top sensor right next to the original top sensor. Luckily the original probes had enough wire to reach my new probe location and no jumpers were necessary. Once again, I did not install a new ground sensor even though it would be pretty easy on this black tank. I may do so at a later date.

Went into the rig and checked the panel and all looks good. Time will tell if they work when stuff starts to build up, but, from the description, they should work just fine....and as I said before, since I haven't removed the old sensors I can always go back to them if needed.
traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:11 AM   #27
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Well two more trips and the gauges still work perfectly. I checked the black tank gauge after dump but before flush and it read empty both times.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:24 AM   #28
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Another system out there is the air operated system they use in the marine holding tanks. It is called the (Tank Tender system by Hart systems inc.) It uses air pressure to read the product level in your tanks. This is the system my folks used in there Mci bus conversion. This is a very accurte way to read how many inches of liquid in your tanks,no tp to hang on probes ect. I never look at the level system in my 3295rk as this is a waste of time. I will go 4-5 days before worrying about dumping tanks.
Larry in Olympia
Drifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #29
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Just wondering, pushing the probes into the tank is not a problem to happen? Then, why do they not pull out of the tank? Just wondering as I am thinking of getting the new probes too.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #30
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
The old probes seem to have taken a "set" and the end is flared which can make pulling them out difficult. The old contact is like a bolt with the head inside the tank. When you try to remove the probe you can only grab the rubber if you get the bolt it causes the probe to expand as you pull. I found that sometimes the old probe rubber tears before the probe would come out. I assume the old probes washed out with the first dump. The tank bottom is sloped towards the dump valve and I'd expect the old probes to collect near the valve and flush out.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #31
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Just checking, the ones that installed the new probes. Are you happy with them? I was thinking of ordering a set.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:46 AM   #32
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Has anyone put the probes on a 3295? I am about to consider a set for all 3 tanks.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote