Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Tires--ST vs. LT; Load range G vs. E

Looking to replace my OEM Missions on my Big Sky and would like some advice on which way to go. I see that people seem to be split between going with STs vs. LTs. For those who have gone with LTs, what make/model tire did you choose, and have you had any problem with them?

As for load range, I currently have an axle load of about 11,700#, which may climb to over 12,000# on those occasions when I fill the fresh water tank full, so I don't want to go with tires that are only rated for 3,042#. I have aluminum rims stamped as rated for 3,750# at 110 psi, so I can go with load range G tires. Any downside to going with G rated tires? Any load range E tires that people have that are good to go for over 3,200# per tire, which should give me a safety factor?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:12 AM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Good question, I would like to get the same information as we are getting a little worried about the Missions even thought we have not had a problem "yet".
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David - where are your rims stamped? I couldn't find anything on the Monty wheel.

Given the capabilities of the wheel - I wouldn't hesitate to go with the G rated tire. The only downside is it is still an ST and limited to 65mph, but the up side is it is 14 ply rated and made in the US I believe (Goodyear?)

There are plenty of E rated tires that go over 3,200 lbs. Problem is - they are ST tires made in China - all of them regardless of brand. There are also LT E rated tires (Goodyear), but they are too wide for the rims.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Brad--I found the data on tire pressure and load limits on the inside of the rim--I could see if after I climbed under the rig and looked at the backside of one of the spokes on my aluminum wheel rim.

I'm not sure about your comment that a G rated tire would still be an ST tire. Based on my preliminary research, it appears that the Goodyear G614 RST 235/85R16 is an LT tire that has a load rating of G. Were you referring to a different tire in your post or do you have different info on this tire? Any indication that this tire would be too wide for my wheel rims?

Old 01-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David - thanks for the info - I'm going to have to do some more crawling with a flashlight. It is good to know the Big Sky has the higher pressure wheels because it sure opens more options.

My error on the LT/ST. I see it is an LT. I read ST into the SRT name tag on the tire and assumed it was ST. http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html

I believe the tire size is identical (not sure what the Big Sky has) so the rim width would be fine. I also believe this particular tire is not made in China - but I've been wrong almost twice today . With your wheels, (and maybe mine) I would definately be running those Goodyear tires!
Old 01-31-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
The G614 RST is speed rated at 75 MPH.

http://www.goodyear.com/truck/products/G614RSTSize.html

To obtain the maximum capacity a wheel capable of 110# cold inflation pressure fitted with a metal high pressure valve stem is required. For those who would like to change rims but avoid aluminum Dexter makes a steel wheel that will work.

http://www.dexstarwheel.com/products.html#changer

Best price I have found is $221.00 not including mounting and hazard warranty.

http://rolltime.net/gdy.htm
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Hmmmm, I see it is sized as an LT tire. I would think RST to be "Radial Special Trailer". Now I don't drive fast, but I don't want a tire on my truck that is just rated at 75 MPH.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:29 AM   #8
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Application is for trailers. See this copy from GY site.

APPLICATION GUIDELINES
Designed for optimal performance on both low platform trailers and enclosed trailers.

MAX LOAD AND INFLATION
Load Index/Speed Symbol = 126/123L
Maximum load at minimum cold inflation at 75 mph max speed.
Single 3,750 lb at 110 psi (1700 kg at 760 kPa)
Dual 3,415 lb at 110 psi (1550 kg at 760 kPa)

Old 01-31-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
And final word on why the "LT" from Discount Tire Site.

Trailer Tire Applications

* Trailer tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not built to handle the loads applied to, or the traction required by, drive or steering axles.
* An "LT" designation on a trailer tire size specifies load range only. It is not designed for use on light trucks.
* Do not mount "ST" or "LT" trailer tires on passenger cars or light trucks.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Roger Thanks, that is some good information and clears up a lot of points.
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Sorry Roger but "LT" does in fact stand for Light Truck and has nothing to do with load range. The folks at Discount Tire have no idea what they are talking about or there was a misunderstanding and you can take this from an individual with many many years as a co-owner of a tire distributor, tire wholesaler and retail tire sales and service shop, namely ME.
About the only part of that information that is true is the "* Do not mount "ST" [s]or "LT"[/s] trailer tires on passenger cars or light trucks."
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
From another tire guy, namely me, Glenn is absolutely right.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
My bad and I yield to experience. I noted that the Goodyear site specifically states that this tire is for trailer use. It is possible that they made a mistake in the LT designation but unlikely so the only explanation is the one given by discount tire, which I admit I had never heard before. The real point is it is not really a good choice for a light truck. It is a good one for trailers, a lot better than the stock tires that seem to be the choice of Keystone.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Lonnie and Glenn--getting back to my original questions, do you see any problem with me going with an LT tire and/or going with a load range G tire such as the Goodyear G614 RST LT 235/85R16??
Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #15
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I have these tires on the Monty, I did my research and have the high pressure rims and high pressure valve stems. I am happy with my decision.

Do your homework and make your decision and stick with it.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
David,

As far as I know the Goodyear G614 is an excellent tire. The only problem I have encountered with them has been cost and availability.
If the cost doesn't bother you, and you feel more comfortable with them, then get them, but be aware that they are not readily available all over the country. I don't stock them, and I don't think anyone else around here does either.

Personally, I prefer the LT over the ST. My Montana has LT235/85R16E Bridgestone Duravis R500 commercial light truck tires on it. I have also installed these on several of the equipment trailers in our construction fleet, as well as several 5th wheel campers running around the country. To date, I have had no complaints, and I have seen no failures due to materials or workmanship.

I guess I would suggest you do what makes you the most comfortable.

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:40 PM   #17
Tinka N Rick
Established Member

M.O.C. #6591
We changed out the OEM tires with Hankook 750R16, 14 Ply rating tires. We went to a dealer that sells both the Goodyear and the Hankook and said that his customers prefer the Hankook. They are also only $139.00 each. We're running 100 PSI. Make sure that your rims will handle it and that you have the axles with the 8 lug nuts.
Tinka N Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:45 AM   #18
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
David,
According to my tire chart the 750-16 has a lower load rating than the 235-85-16.The goodyear tire you mentioned is a very good tire. As Lonnie pointed out they are harder to find, but I would think any tire in that load range may be hard to find.

Charlie
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:43 AM   #19
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Just add a little to the mix. Some time ago, I wrote to BF Gooderich asking for a specific recommendation for our trailer tires. Here is their response:
(for other reasons, I eventually went with Yokohama LT 235/16 tires) My trailer came with Tacoma LT tires.

Thank you for your interest in BFGoodrich tires and for sending us your
email. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

We do offer the Commercial T/A All -Season in a LT235/85R16/E that would be
a good tire for your 5th wheel trailer. However, If you would like a tire
that has an all steel construction and is a tire we normally recommend for
this type of application is a Michelin (Michelin owns BFGoodrich) XPS Rip.
For more information on this tire visit the Michelin website at
www.michelinman.com.

If your questions have not been answered to your satisfaction, please call
me at 1-877-788-8899 (toll-free) between 8:30AM and 6:00PM Eastern Time
Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,
Bobby
BFGoodrich Tires
Consumer Relations Department

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:04 AM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Lonnie, are these G series tires relatively new to the market? I know I ended up with Greenballs (highway troopers) when I lost mine in Utah a few years ago. At that time I never heard of a G rated tire, but now it seems the are offered on quite a few rigs.

Perhaps as they get more popular they will get more plentiful?