Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I think I will wait a little before thinking of upgrading. I do like the GMC. Curious as to what GM has up their sleeve. This summer, good news may be coming out of GM on their truck GVWRs. We'll see...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,

?? Keep your ears open....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #23
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
One of the reasons I opted for the "Classic" was that the new model 3500s would not be out until this summer (I did not want to wait that long), so I think they are on schedule, why they are so late is a mystery.

The only difference between GMC and Chevy is the badge and GMC is a few hundred dollars more...weights/ratings/options/specs all the same.

Can't address the ride, to me they all ride rough, however, they are 'trucks.' I don't really care about looks, I care about what it can do in the way of cargo capacity, towing ability, over all power and reliability.

Naturally I'm a bit prejudiced, but I think it's hard to beat the D/A combination.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:26 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Although I'm a Ford guy at heart, I would have to say that at least in the past few years the GM trucks do generally ride better. I've heard that's no longer true with the 2008 Ford having that new rear spring setup that seriously improves the ride but I've not driven it so cannot compare it myself. For a truck, the GM's have a decent ride in my opinion.

I've done the same thing as you over the many years of my life. Started with GM. Moved to Ford when I got tired of all the problems with the GM's. Then years later started having problems with Fords and went back to GM. Back and forth a couple more times. I'm currently with Ford but will look at all of them before deciding on the next one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #25
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Here's new info from the shop. Wabash Ford in Indy, they are trucks only normally medium duty and larger. Ok here's the truck Ford badge F650 cummings engine allison 6 speed auto trans with a 410 rear end.

I showed this to my DW her answer. No way I'm not climbing up into something that big. Darn just when I figured out how to buy a Ford.
engine - change from Navistar to Cummings, Detroit, Cat your choice
trans - change from ford to Allison 6 speed auto
Rear end 4.10 ratio or what ever fits your pocketbook

The funny thing is that this medium duty truck can actually be cheaper than some King Ranch 350s and 450s.

Hope this made you think
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #26
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
When I first started driving GM products years ago - I had a very wise old mechanic at the GMC dealership I still do business with explain the real difference between Chevy and GMC trucks.

Simply put - the GMC's include lock washers on all the fasteners !!

We test drive the big 3's everytime before we trade and still like the ride of the GMC's we drive the best - just our choice - they all make a great truck - each with it's own strong points. You just have to test and make the best choice for you.
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:19 AM   #27
Walt Gonna to Buy

M.O.C. #7032
Greetings to all who responded to Walt Gonna Buy-
Well Mary and Walt bought a new Chevy 2500 Silerado HD .. just arrived on lot- still has the tape and plastic wrappings...
Came with all the trimmings.. but we opt not to get the Touch Screen Navigation Radio... almost run of the road on the test drive running my finger across the screen selecting topics.. Designed for towing with all the features... This is a big step for us... now we are committed.. before we were thinking about it... now off to find our Montana...
We were looking for a 3500..but after reading all the advice... feel the new 2500 will pull that 3400RL just fine.....
I drove the new Fords and new Chevy...... found the Chevy much quieter and smoother... wow does it take the corners... Mary loves all the storage it has for her do dads.... I like the Intergrated Trailer Brake Controller .. ajustable and already installed...
So will be changing our name from Walt Gonna Buy to Walt/Mary Gotta Go....
Agan.. thanks for all the advice..
Walt
Walt Gonna to Buy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:44 AM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Walt, you didn't say... is this a Duramax/Allison or the 8.1 gas engine?
Old 04-07-2007, 05:13 AM   #29
Walt Gonna to Buy

M.O.C. #7032
Duromax/Allison ... LTZ 6 speed Auto overdrive.. with manual shifting ..referred to as.. tap-up/tap-down
New diesel particulate filter... my part for reducing emissions.. ..what have you done today to reduce emissions ?
Mary impressed with the brake pedal adjustment for shorter folks..
Walt
Walt Gonna to Buy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #30
PennyC
Established Member

M.O.C. #2041
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sailer

go back to ford and go to a king ranch and load it up , diesel and the works and yes 20 " tires get a better ride also and tow package which includes the new built in 5th wheel brack system .. no more after market junk . you will be shocked at it

john
I don't understand what you mean by the "new built in 5th wheel brack system"...what is it?
PennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:30 AM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PennyC

Quote:

go back to ford and go to a king ranch and load it up , diesel and the works and yes 20 " tires get a better ride also and tow package which includes the new built in 5th wheel brack system .. no more after market junk . you will be shocked at it

john
I don't understand what you mean by the "new built in 5th wheel brack system"...what is it?
Penny, Ford Super Dutys now have built in brake controllers, instead of needing those after market, under dash ones like Prodigy.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #32
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Not one word about Dodge.

I have had Chevy autos in the past. I owned a Ford Econoline van and a Ford F-2500 (work truck), once. I now own a 3500 Dodge RAM with the top of the line Laramie package. This SWB truck is a real luxury, a little rough riding when there isn't a load, but since it is a one-ton, there were no extras that had to be bought. While towing, it is every bit as comfortable as any other "truck" I have driven. IMHO.

BTW, one of the best features is the onboard GPS system, especially while towing.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PennyC

Quote:

john
Penny, Ford Super Dutys now have built in brake controllers, instead of needing those after market, under dash ones like Prodigy.
My memory is not what it used to be but didn't I see on the GM announcement for the new trucks (not the Classic) that GM will also have an option for a builtin brake controller?
Old 04-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I believe you are right, Steve...
Old 04-08-2007, 03:58 AM   #35
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I like GMC because of Dealer smaller and great personal service.
2002 GMC 2500HD SLE
2006 GMC Envoy SLT
I have an old saying you are never far from a General Motors dealership major city or small town.We have 10 GM dealerships within 8 miles and one Ford which is huge.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:04 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I did a post about the new Ford that I drove for a couple of days that had the 20 inch tires and 4X4. It jacked up the truck pretty good and IMO may cause a problem in keeping everything level. Suggest that be checked on whatever truck you are looking at before you lay down any dollars.If I buy we will not go with the 20 inch tires..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:47 AM   #37
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Although the 20" tires are probably a step up in ride are they capable of the weight rating? And also another thought, while working at the dealership two weeks ago, I had to pick up 4 new tires(20") for replacement for a customer, WOW, what a replacement price! Maybe Lonnie can give a better idea on the reliability and cost of these 20" tires!
Oh yeah, Steve and Dave, I saw a new GMC 3500 HD 4x4, cc,srw sb,there with the onboard brake system and GPS options.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:46 AM   #38
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, that's interesting. It was the 6 1/2 ft bed and not the real short one, right? When I do the GMC build your truck thing it doesn't show anything but the longbed in the SRW cc 4x4 1 ton. It shows you have to go to a dually to get the shortbed. If the shortbed is available in SRW 1 ton, then that increases my interest. I don't want the builtin gps as I prefer my own sitting right in front of me but the brake controller and the shortbed I gave Ford a big plus on in my purchase evaluation. Thanks. I waffle, from day to day, between Ford and GMC. I guess I need to hear more about the 6.4 and then go drive them both.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:01 AM   #39
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Steve I started this post to see what the owners of chevy and gmc would say. I never thought it would grow to this length, and depth. Great info.

Next I'm probably a Ford man first but the truck that does it all for the least $ gets my check. The new 450 is set up how I would want the truck (cc drw 8'bed 4x2 diesel) it's just the unknown of the 6.4 that gets me.
Now if gmc get out there with this on the new version then I'll have something to compare.

I don't want the 20", 16" are fine for me. Everyone makes them thus the cost is reasonable. 10 ply is a must I believe for what I do with this truck. I never want to get into a situation where I have too light of a tire on so I just get the 10 ply in the beginning.

If I find the new version of gmc suitable then I'll give my F350 to my daughter (18 yr old). It's more than enough for the horse trailers. Just have to start teaching her about pulling, backing, stopping trailers. And of course the overall length of combination. Most people forget this in the beginning. Nope, my son just read this (21 yr old). Dad keeps the truck but have it available for either kid to borrow for their needs. Son wants to borrow the truck and Monty. Since Dad will have new truck he doesn't think that will pose any problems.

Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #40
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Don't you just love young'ens reasoning????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote