Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
03 F250 6.0 L Diesel Turbo to Intercooler Hose

I was working on a "defrost" only issue when I discovered soot shadow on my Turbo and blue hose that connects it to the down pipe feeding into the intercooler.

Well, pulled it and found its fatigued on the side you can't see, left a little oil spot on the manifold below...so googled this topic and sure enough I'm about to experience a "Blow-out" and loss of boost.

Options were limited to go to stealershiip or wait for online order. I took the guarantee'd path and paid extra $50.00 so I can leave this Thursday for Watkins Glen where we plan to watch the races.

Sad, figured I'm driving a Diesel that should go 250k+ miles and at 95k a stupid 4" hose is about to fail...clearly looks stressed from the constant shake of the engine and this thing provides the relief to the ridgid down pipe/intercooler.

Oh, BTW...my defrost issue is a failed PVH solenoid, which I tenporarly plugged and will have to use the manual Hublock selectors. Till I return and can order direct from Ford...doh another $50.00 item...

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our 2005 6.0 blew that turbo hose off twice. While towing. The second time the dealer told me Ford had come out with a batter clamp system and they installed that. 70k miles later we'd not again blown that hose off. You might see if Ford will replace yours under some kind of extra warranty. Probably not but it might be worth asking. If no help from your dealer, call Ford Customer Satisfaction and tell them your story plus what you tow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ahhhh, darn it Steve you called it.. on a long climb I84 out of Matamoras Pa, BANG! Lucky me, found the clamp, reattached making sure I cranked it to completely compress the spring. Gotta say, had I not read about this event we also would have been cleaning the drivers seat!!
Got to our destination, reseated both ends and made sure I fully compressed those springs, was hesitant before as the hose I replaced has label at either end saying not to over tighten.
Wonder how that better clamp differs?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I also had that problem with my 7.3 it was a loose clamp and the biggest problem was I could not get my boost higer than 18 pounds I paid ford a lot of money and time to figure that one out.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Noneck, I have no idea the difference in the clamps. Maybe the Ford parts people could explain it?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
Tucker
Established Member

M.O.C. #16025
I have resolved the problem of the "hot pipe" blowing out of the blue hose at the turbo. A bracket is available online for approx. 50.00 that bolts to alternator bolts and supports the pipe. Makes it rock solid. Pulling my 3400rl in the mountains out west is definitely a sure way to blow that hose (4 times). All good now.
Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:37 AM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tucker

I have resolved the problem of the "hot pipe" blowing out of the blue hose at the turbo. A bracket is available online for approx. 50.00 that bolts to alternator bolts and supports the pipe. Makes it rock solid. Pulling my 3400rl in the mountains out west is definitely a sure way to blow that hose (4 times). All good now.
Did you notice that this discussion is 7 years old?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:09 AM   #8
stevedjarrell
Established Member

M.O.C. #18860
I had the hose clamp blow on my 2006 F250. I was towing, first time. Was on a 5000' elevation. Had no extra clamp and had to wait for some guys to bring me an assortment of clamps. drove to the nearest Ford dealership with the FW, Parents, Wife, Son and dog and got two. Installed one and kept the other in the glove bo until I sold it. I always carried a spare clamp and hose after that. Maybe it was overkill but I was prepared.
stevedjarrell is offline   Reply With Quote