Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Montana_1953
Established Member

M.O.C. #1953
warm rear rims on TV when towing

ok here is a question: When towing my rear rims (aluminum) on my yukon get hot, not enough to burn you , but warm enough to not be able to keep your hand on them for long, I know that part of this is from braking before comming to a stop. My controller is set to balance the braking between my trailer and yukon. The question I have is is this normal? Observed on route 81 though Pa, big hills, so its working hard, I understand that some of the energy gets disapated as heat, but how much is too much?

Montana_1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
When towing a trailer you are using a lot more brake on your truck than you normally would, that is normal what you want to be carefull of is not to over heat your brake and cause the shoes or pads to glaze over this will effect your stopping distance, you may want to check your brake a little more often than normal just to be safe. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote