Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
Wireless Backup Camera

Well, in what is to undoubdtedly be the first of many sagas, I went to work on this backup camera idea over the last couple of days and after a a little bit of trial and error I got the end result I was hoping for.

It all started when we opted for the dealer installed wireless backup cameraby Voyager. Since we were (are) so new to the RV'ing world, it just made sense to me to have a curb-and-post feeler that was geek-friendly and cool to show off to my kids; so we ordered it. It is an extremely nice unit and works quite well (we especially like it to see if that guy in the little car is still hugging our bumber )

At any rate, here's the system we got:

http://www.asaelectronics.com/detail...catid=&pid=224

As I was playing with the front panel buttons I noticed that there was a "Select" feature, and pressing it switched between 'AV1' and 'AV2'. Aha!, I thought, wouldn't it be cool to wire up a 2nd camera to see what was happening back in the bed of the truck whilst hitching up and all.
So I set out to learn how to do this and hopped over the the manufacturer's site for a technical drawing of the unit.

I got this ...
http://www.asaelectronics.com/techpd...%204-26-07.pdf

Well, there wasn't much help, because there wasn't a pin-out diagram to be had anywhere. I verified that the model numbers were correct but since this was part of a 'wireless' kit, and the owner's manual was for a pair of wired cameras I didn't know how it was going to go (the wireless adapter must be new, or secret, because they have no information on that part anywhere). There is a 12-pin connector on the back of the display, and it's wired directly to the wireless receiver attachment, but I couldn't come up with any help anywhere on the internet. So.. I wrote a nice email to the support department at asaelectronics.com and sent it off at about 11:00 P.M. last night. They responded promptly and courteously saying that the wireless model was not designed to accept a second camera ... end of story from the support department.

So this after noon I got light from the second camera and it toggles just fine, It took a bit of bravery to randomly feel out the remaining pins hoping I wouldn't let the magic smoke out of either my camera or display, but then I hit the right combination it lit right up and works great.

I'm planning on hard-wiring it this weekend and mounting cam2 on the roof of the truck (it's a Sony bullet-cam I used to have attached to a motorcycle helmet).

If anyone else is intersted in the mod, I'll post the pin-out disgram and a couple of pictures next week.

Yay for no smoke

And for the part of the forum that lists dealer/accessory support sites, the Voyager backup cameras are at asaelectronics (an Audiovox company).

ASA Electronics
2602 Marina Dr.
Elkhart, IN 46514
1-800-688-3135
www.asaelectronics.com
info@asaelectronics.com

----------------------------------------------------

Gary

2009 3665RE

sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
In general I think a camera would be a good thing to have. I know from having one on our previous M/H that it was almost a necessity and quite helpful in viewing what was behind the M/H. What I have thought of doing, is set up a camera system and have one on the roof viewing some type of marker at the high point toward the front of the camper; all of this for observation of low bridges.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:40 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Gary,

I would be interested in your overall impression of the system once you've tried it out for a while, mainly the wireless performance. I think there are few folks like myself that would be interested in retrofitting one, but wiring in the front and back caps will be a tough job.

Also, I noticed SOB that provided a 12V in the bedroom and a hanger for the monitor so you could use it as a security camera when disconnected from the truck.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Do not under any circumstances let the smoke escape. If it does, you have to send the part back to China so they can pack the smoke back in. I wish I could learn how to do that. I've blown a lot of smoke in my lifetime!!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had the camera on the top rail of our Rear ladder since day one. We will not run down tne road without working. It is not a wireless unit.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
As I was playing with the front panel buttons I noticed that there was a "Select" feature, and pressing it switched between 'AV1' and 'AV2'. Aha!, I thought, wouldn't it be cool to wire up a 2nd camera to see what was happening back in the bed of the truck whilst hitching up and all.

Very cool. I think I recall that they make another, non-wireless unit for three cams.

If anyone else is intersted in the mod, I'll post the pin-out disgram and a couple of pictures next week.

Yes. Interested! We have the wireless system as part of our new 2009 3400RL. Questions: How do you store the screen in the TV? How do you mount it without obscurubg too much of the windshield? Our GPS already occupies the prime spot to the right of the radio/AC stack.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:44 AM   #7
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
We have the wireless unit on our '08 Monty and really like it. The wireless feature works great. There is a little bit of noise once in a while but nothing to worry about. Most of the time it is very clear. I am amazed at how well it works in low light situations. It helps when in heavy traffic.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Gary,

I would like the pin out for the second camera also. Ours has worked as advertised except for a failure of the transmitter. It was not sealed and installed well allowing it to fill with water and you can guess what happened to the electronics (The Smoke Went Out). Our dealer ordered a new transmitter and I installed it myself after sealing the new unit with silicone. Good thing as there is an in-line fuse located on the 12V harness hidden inside the front cap. It had failed also and I would not have known there was one there if I had let the dealer repair it.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote