Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
ChappyX6
Established Member

M.O.C. #7463
Remodeling?

Ok, so when we got the Monty (3295RK) from my mother in law we never really thought out the sleeping and eating arrangements. specifically where to put 4 kids to bed and how to eat 6 at a 4 person table. LOL So on our recent Disneyland trip we found that we could put the 2 little ones and 1 big one on the sleeper but one had an air mattress on the floor. So now my wife had some Ideas to help convert our monty to sleep more people 'specially now that she is homeschooling the kids we will be on the road more. I wanted to ask if her ideas were plausable, if there were weight restrictions for the slide outs etc. So here are the ideas...first (she saw this in my parents RV) Convert the dining table to a 1/2 oval booth with the drop down table ( I like a rectangle shape better). Second our girls have The futon/bunkbed in their room...she would like to see if one could be built to fit into the space where the couch is but still be able to function like a couch when the futon is in the upright position.
Personally I think the table setup would resolve everything (add room for 2 more to sleep) BUT I'm not so sure we could get any kind of bunkbed type setup under that lower ceiling and still be able to use it for seating. Anyway any Ideas or suggestions on this would be really appreciated.. and any kind of info on how much weight a slide out can handle because all of this is on one slide.

ChappyX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Just a few thoughts,

that couch that is in there now, is not the most light-weight thing in the world.

I have a regular futon in our 3295, it does not pull out as far as what that couch did. Takes up considerable less floor room when in the "bed" formation than did the couch.

I believe there are a few MOCers that have changed from table to dinette/booth.

Chairs that come with these units also are not light-weight, so pulling them out and replacing with a dinette/booth may not be any big weight difference.

As far as the bunk bed thing, get out the ruler! Interesting suggestion, let us know if it will fit.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Our daughter has the twin over futon style bunk bed we purchased for her thinking about her moving on and needing furniture for her apartment. That way she'd have a bed and a couch later on. Anyway, the top bunk is about 4 feet from the floor and about a foot thick-depending upon the headboard style. The one problem, besides height, with that arrangement is the depth of the bottom frame--it wouldn't ride "all in the slide". But if height weren't a consideration it could work if you'd add rollers to the front frame legs and then raise the back frame up to height. A lot of futons set low to the floor so you may want to raise it anyway.

Another arrangement you may want to consider is the air mattress couch offered on some Monty's. This offers you sleeping for two and storage.

I agree with the idea to put in the banquette. I'd want the extra storage that the banquettes would allow.
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote