Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2008, 05:08 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Generator question

This is addressed to those who have the dual/parallel Hondas and 2 A/C units. Can you run 2 A/C units with this setup? Normally, we just use one unit, but when it gets hot.........

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Stiles, If its the 200xxx generators with the parallel kit, you only get 30 amp. I would think that you would not be able to run both AC units unless maybe you did not run anything else, and were able to make sure they did not both kick in at the same time. But thats only a guess on my part, have not tried it.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
I have actually run both of my AC units with the two Honda 2000's tied together but I was under my RV port in the shade and it was about 70 outside temperature--I have my doubts that they would handle the load if the temps were very hot and you were in the sun--I have not had a chance to try them out when it is really hot--they do work well and I don't regret getting them--I also built the aux fuel tank setup with a 6 gallon boat tank and I'm am very impressed with how that works--I would post pictures but I don't know how to do that--there's another thread today on the tanks and I would like for all to see the picts since I have a really nifty setup--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Stiles,
I posted running two heaters on 30Amp. It follows the same principle. You can draw up to 30 Amps so you have budget your usage. with both AC running, no microwave, coffee pots, and (hot water heater). You also want to let one settle down before you turn the second one (smaller one) on. The starting current for AC is the largest current draw.
Good luck.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I personally believe that the only thing you are going to find out by running the two AC's is if they work or not. The worst should only be to trip the circuit breaker.

At the stick house, I run 1 AC on 115V 20 Amp circuit on 12 AWG. I also run the overhead fan, Tv and some lights if I want to. The only time I trip the breaker is if we forget to move the coffee pot in the house to another circuit, or if the DW tries to run the vacuum cleaner at the same time on the circuit. So I don' know why two Hondas would not run them both. As John said, it is the start-up of the compressors that will do you in.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote