Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Installing JT Stabilizers

Iam in the process of installing JT Stabilizers,Iam done with the front now Iam moving to the back.
On the 3400RL How are you guys locating the cross frame?
Since the under carriage is covered, do you drop the rear part of plastic covering the frame?
If they had used screws into the cross frame to mount the plastic covering it would be easy to locate.
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
jjackflash, I used a magnet to locate it. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:33 AM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I made small v cuts in the underbelly in front of the bracket locations and pulled the underbelly down, then used bolts and nuts to attach the brackets. The cross braces are made from thin metal and I was concerned that the metal could strip if using the self tapper bolts. When done just push the underbelly back up and caulk around the cuts.
You will really like the JT's, they work great.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:07 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Like nailbender stated above that metal is thin. I drilled a tiny hole in front of the cross member about 6 inches apart. Then i split the under belly between those 2 points so I could get my fingers into the belly. Then I could see to center the hole that I was going to drill into the bottom part of the cross member. Put a bolt in with one of the lock nuts then sealed off the slit that I made in the under belly. I also moved the rear jacks back 4 inches to keep the angle of the support closer. That was a very easy task to do.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks guys for the excellent suggestions.
Jack
Old 03-02-2008, 02:53 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Jack, we have a Big Sky 340RLQ which is almost exactly like the 3400RL. I couldn't find a cross member and just went ahead and got a 2x3 inch box channel 71 inches long. the ends were cut with a 45 degree taper so you could drill and bolt it to the frame. Here are some pics of my install http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=48404260.pbw
if the slide show is too fast here is the album. http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c...er/Rig%20Mods/
The rear channel can either be installed with the self tapping bolts or get some extra nyloc nuts and bolts. I could reach the inside of the underbelly to put the bolts in on the curb side but had to use the self tappers on the street side. I would suggest that you buy a tap for the self tappers, it will make the installation of the self tappers a lot easier. just chase the threads down with the tap before trying to put the self tapping bolts in.. Good Luck... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Jack, we have a Big Sky 340RLQ which is almost exactly like the 3400RL. I couldn't find a cross member and just went ahead and got a 2x3 inch box channel 71 inches long. the ends were cut with a 45 degree taper so you could drill and bolt it to the frame. Here are some pics of my install http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=48404260.pbw
if the slide show is too fast here is the album. http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c...er/Rig%20Mods/
The rear channel can either be installed with the self tapping bolts or get some extra nyloc nuts and bolts. I could reach the inside of the underbelly to put the bolts in on the curb side but had to use the self tappers on the street side. I would suggest that you buy a tap for the self tappers, it will make the installation of the self tappers a lot easier. just chase the threads down with the tap before trying to put the self tapping bolts in.. Good Luck... Dave and Betsy
Thanks for the great pics. Dave,I filed them away for future reference. I finished the job yesterday and it came out nice,I took your suggestion and also bought the elephant feet.
On the 2008 3400 just about 6 inches forward of those belly screws is the cross brace,I took Mudchief suggestion and it worked out great and I also used screws with nylon lock nuts instead of tapping screws,now Iam confident I wouldn't someday be creating sparks behind me. Ha!
Those pics.confirmed my installation.
Thanks again Dave and also to you Mudchief,Iam not the greatest mechanic and your suggestions really help.
Jack
Old 03-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Jack,
I am about to order for our 08 3400. Did you install a box channel like Dave? I think I have seen a few posts with angle iron too. Where do you get it if needed?

Thanks
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We used Mudchiefs suggestion as well, and it worked great. I sealed the slits back up with NAPA black firewall silicone when I was done.

However, Keystone has a new 1-piece belly with a different material. Is that what you had on yours Jack?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
brenkco, you can get the material from most steel suppliers and fabricators. I was going to get the angle but when I called JT's they said to get the box channel instead as it is stronger and much easier to work with. Their web sight has the install instructions and material lists... Dave and Betsy
Old 03-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brenkco

Jack,
I am about to order for our 08 3400. Did you install a box channel like Dave? I think I have seen a few posts with angle iron too. Where do you get it if needed?

Thanks
Ken,I used Mudchiefs Suggestion as posted and it worked out fine,to be honest the cross brace looked like the same C channel used for the side frame. Dave's way Iam sure is stronger but I figured if it was strong enough for the side mount it must be strong enough for the rear mounts.Push up about 6 inches in front of the underbelly screws and you'll feel the cross brace and than read Mudchiefs post.
If you feel you need something stronger call Jim at JT accessories and he'll send you a square tube cross brace to fit your 3400.
Brad,NAPA black firewall silicone,thanks for the tip.The underbelly, I don't know if I would call it one piece,I cut through it with a utility knife.
Jack
Old 03-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #12
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I just ordered JT's for my 2004 2980RL. Have any of you lost any of the t-handles for the braces? Just wondering if they are loose in their fitting or tight?

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I had the same question Scott. I believe Dieselguy showed me some straps he made to hold them.

Out of laziness, I never pursued it, and so far I haven't lost any. I cinch them down a little before traveling.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Scott, I haven't lost any but have broken several, especially the one on the right rear on our Big Sky. If I don't make sure that it is lined up properly the angle brace from the rear jack sill snap it off. I have several others snap just as I tightened them with my hand. The welds were not real good. I called JT's and they sent me two extras no charge. The others I have broken I just had welded locally... Dave and Betsy
Old 03-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #15
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
My JT's arrived by UPS today!

Now I just have to wait for the Damn Snow to melt and the temperatures to warm up above the freezing point so I can go out and start installing them. This has been a long winter and I am so ready from camping season to hurry up and get here!

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote